Thoughts on the Surface Go price?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought apps when I was using Windows 10 Mobile that also worked on PC and as of now, I just own them and I can't use them so that's what I mean. I don't have any Windows 10 devices at all currently. When I had the Surface Pro, it was nice to be able to use some of those again and also explore other apps I have heard about, like paint.net. I actually bought that one too so it would be good to make use of what I bought lol.
Ok, gotcha.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think it's too expensive. Reasons. Windows tablet experience is not well developed. This device needs a more fully baked tablet experience to make give it better value in the longrun. This device with a type cover package deal for this base price, i think, in 2018 outrageous. It should be part of the price, even as I speak as a longtime surface pro owner and user.

Lunati q

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
Seems more than reasonable considering their targeted competitor (iPad 9.7) costs just a bit less, isn't a full blown desktop-class tablet and doesn't include a stylus or keyboard either. Even with a keyboard, the iPad can't use a trackpad so there's that too.

LOL A BIT LESS? This thing costs 701$ after tax and a student discount when adding a keyboard and the upgraded model (which you need because emmc is trash, 4gb ram is bad in this day and age, and the storage is less thab 40 gb due to windows 10's storage size, so it won't last you long). Ipad 9.7 is 554$ after tax with a student discount. A difference of almost 150$

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Comparing the iPad to the Go is more than just price. The Go can run full desktop software. The iPad cannot. I currently have three iPads and four portable Windows devices. I enjoy using my iPads but there are a lot of school-related tasks that I cannot do on them.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
The Surface Go price is reasonable, but $129 for the keyboard, plus another $100 for the pen is ridiculous.

This is what so many think... especially if already having purchased into the Apple ecosystem and products already. Bundled package discounts would be good for a new release....

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Comparing the iPad to the Go is more than just price. The Go can run full desktop software. The iPad cannot. I currently have three iPads and four portable Windows devices. I enjoy using my iPads but there are a lot of school-related tasks that I cannot do on them.

Fair comparison.
They are not the same device. I, for instance, have an iPad Pro that works perfectly for what I need it to do.
Others, that may need a PC like experience, would be better off with the Go.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
No different from iPad Pro pricing on the Apple Smart Keyboards and the pencils. I don't like forking over that much money, but I know I'm not happy with alternatives so I just factor in the price of all the accessories in my purchase.

I remember paying $6000 for a Portege 610 CT back in the mid 1990s. 9.5" 640 x 480 screen color screen, 8 MB (not GB) RAM (expandable to 40 MB), 686 MB (not G) 2.5" hard drive.

It measured 9.9" x 7.9" x 2" and weighed almost 5 lbs and I was tickled to have something in such a small form factor.

I'm glad tech prices have decreased and specs have increased.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
LOL A BIT LESS? This thing costs 701$ after tax and a student discount when adding a keyboard and the upgraded model (which you need because emmc is trash, 4gb ram is bad in this day and age, and the storage is less thab 40 gb due to windows 10's storage size, so it won't last you long). Ipad 9.7 is 554$ after tax with a student discount. A difference of almost 150$

So for that $150 difference you're ok with 32 GB of storage in the iPad, which is only bad on Windows devices, and you're ok with 2 GB of RAM on the iPad but not 4GB on the Surface.

It's perfectly fine to hate on Windows. In fact it's almost a spectator sport, but for God's sake make some valid points. I own iPhones and Macs, I know how good they are and what their limitations are as well.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

There's nothing wrong with EMMC or 4gb for general tablet purposes. 4gb is plenty without large amounts of multi-tasking or heavy tasks which you wouldn't do on an ipad anyway, and emmc is plenty fast for every day tasks (only slower for installs, loading power apps - which you don't do on an ipad, and don't need anyway, and large file copies - and hardly unbearable).

You make it sound like using an affordable but perfectly modern device is like living in a mudhut, lol.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with EMMC or 4gb for general tablet purposes. 4gb is plenty without large amounts of multi-tasking or heavy tasks which you wouldn't do on an ipad anyway, and emmc is plenty fast for every day tasks (only slower for installs, loading power apps - which you don't do on an ipad, and don't need anyway, and large file copies - and hardly unbearable).

You make it sound like using an affordable but perfectly modern device is like living in a mudhut, lol.
Some people don't know how to remove windows.old after an update. I'm fine with 32GB and I have 2 OneDrive accounts syncing not to mention my onboard music. I'm rather impressed with S-Mode so far.

IMG_20180806_0943383.jpg

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
there's so much fail and dis-information in this thread it isn't even funny, you can tell all the mac fanboys in here its laughable! LOL

lets get a few things straight here

1) all you complaining about 64GB not being enough are forgetting one MAJOR thing, you can expand the memory on this thing to 250GB microSD card (or MORE) and set the S. go to save everything to the SD card. Can an iPAd do that? errr NO! my Surface 3 has 64GB and I slapped in a 128GB SD card and I get PLENTY of room!

2) ipads come with LESS ram and storage and the GO has a dedicated GPU so it is much faster than the iPAD but no one is taking that into consideration! so for a measly $100 more your getting double everything! really, your complaining?

3) Best buy has great monthly payment plans for those who are little strapped for cash and can't buy 1 outright, if you cant afford $50-$65 a month, then you won't be able to afford that shiny new iPad either!

4) and for those complaining about the keyboard? ipads don't include them neither but I don't see anyone complaining about that, but when MSFT does it and copies Apple then everybody's panties get in a bunch... again favoritism for apple ... hhmmmm

5) with the S.go you can have full blown Windows 10 and use any peripheral including mouse's and Xbox Joy sticks to do some light gaming and I have read that this does a pretty good job at gaming! lets see you try to run some IOS computer games or programs on the iPad... guess not!

seriously you cant make anyone happy any more, ESPECIALLY MSFT! SHEEESH!

if I didn't have the S3 I would buy the GO in a heart beat at this price point... and I'm even still considering it because its such a great little device! but I'm enjoying my S3 which is slower than the GO! LOL decisions decision decisions

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
4) and for those complaining about the keyboard? ipads don't include them neither but I don't see anyone complaining about that, but when MSFT does it and copies Apple then everybody's panties get in a bunch... again favoritism for apple ... hhmmmm
Lest we forget iOS doesn't support pointing devices like a mouse or trackpad so you're always stuck touching the screen for even basic navigation. A more proper comparison would be the new Galaxy Tab S4 but it's $150 more. At least you'd be on a more level-ish playing field as far as peripherals and expansion.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Lest we forget iOS doesn't support pointing devices like a mouse or trackpad so you're always stuck touching the screen for even basic navigation. A more proper comparison would be the new Galaxy Tab S4 but it's $150 more. At least you'd be on a more level-ish playing field as far as peripherals and expansion.

exactly... but didn't I make that point in (#5) my post? lol :winktongue:

edit: BTW you can connect a portable hard drive via the USB port if your worried about room, at least you don't need to buy a 20$ adapter like you do for the iPad to connect a portable drive...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb