Surface Go -- Worth updating from Surface 3 (non-pro)

tribexx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
All,

I have a surface 3 (nonpro) and its starting to get slow...is the Go worth an upgrade? Or should I just go to a Pro?

I have a 4GB atom processor and i feel like i need at least 8gb ram and something more....

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what you're gonna be using the Surface Go for!

Personally, I'd upgrade, as you will see a performance increase of some kind compared to what you get with the Intel Atom chip on the Surface 3. If you're gonna be using Photoshop or doing video editing, then I'd go for the Surface Pro, but for casual web browsing, emails and some very light gaming, I think the Surface Go should be the upgrade to go for!

I've pre-ordered the Surface Go 64GB / 4GB configuration myself, upgrading from a Lenovo ideapad with an Intel Celeron chip, and will also replace my Surface 2 RT (I know, old right?!).

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm gonna be selling off my Pro 4. I've had it since it came out and it was exactly what I needed for a few years. Being active duty, it became a useful 2-in-1 for online masters work but i eventually needed something bigger. Pulled the trigger on a new desktop for more screen real estate, desktop core i5 and 12GB ram for multitasking...I now have an overpowered tablet for what I would really need a tablet for. Surface Go would be exactly what I need to get reading done, email, browsing, light office work so that I can save everything in the cloud to hit hard school work on the desktop. Surface Go seems like it'll be the consumer Surface to go for.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
yes if battery life offers atleast solid 7 hours.
everything else is good. pricing is also much better.
8 gb ram + 128 gb ssd version is sweet configuration.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Comparison for bulls96:

(Based on specs found online)

Surface 3 | 10.8" screen | 1920 x 1280 | 10.5 x 7.4 x .34 | 1.37 lb., 2.1 lb. w/kb

Surface Go | 10" screen | 1800 x 1200 | 9.6 x 6.9 x .33 | 1.15 lb., 1.6 w/kb.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
From the windows central review

https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-go

With display brightness around 40 percent users should expect around seven hours of usage, but closer to eight or more.

The battery result was much better than I had anticipated, and I was surprised at how efficient the processor was at sipping power. On one evening I spent two solid hours using the Surface Go browsing the web, installing apps, using those apps, and watching videos on YouTube and Netflix. After those two hours, I still had 76 percent battery left, which is respectable.

...The most significant variable with the Surface Go and battery life is not so much what you do with it but screen brightness. If you ramp up the intensity to above 60 percent (or even maxed out), you will get a few hours less than what I experienced making it the most significant power draw.

--------------

I find that 65% is the sweet spot for me. I usually get around 5 hours.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've got a S3 128gb 4Gb model, and it does what I need it to do, so not upgrading any time soon.

However, If I were to upgrade, I'd probably look elsewhere from a surface/MS, and if I had to stick with a surface, I'd probably consider a surface pro ahead of the go.

If the size of the Go suits your use case better, aim for the larger storage and ram model. 4gb is still workable today, but just. Fortunately the atom cpu in my S3 isn't good enough to run stuff to get to 4gb use, but a few programs and a browser gets really close.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3