10-03-2019 06:53 PM
67 123
tools
    Yea, yea, phones are dead and move on, but if you don't believe there are credibility issues from that move, then you are crazy. People love to mention Apple, Google, and Amazon in their pitches for technology. No one is left to champion Microsoft, it's too embarrassing and risky. Nadella might just dump the technology you were saying was something your company or school should adopt. Developers feel the exact same way too. The biggest issue Microsoft has isn't apps, it's trust in the commitment of leadership.
    Couldn't agree more! I just don't understand the folks saying "yea yea move on" from phones. Nadella could not have destroyed Microsoft's credibility more than when he killed mobile.

Microsoft's lack of credibility is the main reason I can't champion them in my own IT shop of over 100+ employees, supporting an agency of 1000+ plus field offices. There is absolutely no way I can go into my bosses office and with a straight face recommend Surface devices. Why? Because there's no way he can go in with a straight face and recommend them to the agency's leadership team. Is Microsoft committed to these devices? Who knows!

And to be honest, there's not much of a reason to keep our Windows laptops, other than Office 365. The vast majority off our apps are HTML5, CSS, jQuery, JavaScript, AKA "web" apps. Chrome is our standard browser, and that would run just a well on a Mac or even a Chromebook as it does on an Windows machine. We're really only keeping our PCs around for Office 365. Sad but true.

When Microsoft pulled the plug on mobile it sent a very clear message to IT shops in Education, Enterprise, Consumer, Retail, you cannot trust Microsoft, so don't be the fool that risks his career championing them.
    08-19-2018 11:29 AM
    So…for the same price, I tell them we’ll get a great machine…but NO APPS? At the Middle School level, our Tech Ed leader is preaching ‘It’s all about the apps’ mantra as we get more and more iPads. For Gr 6 – 8 students, it’s ‘all about the apps’ for their assignments and projects. What apps come with the Surface Go? For the same price, and no apps, there’s no way the Go is going anywhere in our school.
    I totally agree about the lack of apps. I also think that MS seems lazy and complacent about its own app store. And not trying to just stub my own thread here, but that's why I started a thread on what realistically can MS do to improve the app situation?

https://forums.windowscentral.com/as...app-store.html

In all sincerity I'd like to know, if you were Nadella what would you do to improve the App Store situation?

Because I totally agree. Apps are the central question not only in the Education market, but also in Retail, Consumer, and more and more so even in the Enterprise. Developers are targeting iOS today primarily because they know that's where they stand the best chance of being profitable. The Apple app store is where all the paying customers are at. So how can Microsoft turn that around?
    Internaut and darrell reimer like this.
    08-19-2018 11:59 AM
    The Surface 3 was more expensive and made significant inroads into education before MS failed to follow up on it in a timely manner.
    This gets to the crux of the issue. Microsoft seems to have two problems, outside of its core markets, at the moment. Firstly, it lacks the tenacity it had under Gates’ leadership. Second, when it does have some success, it fails to follow through. Google have been going after the education market for some time. Through success and failure they’ve persisted.
    08-19-2018 01:57 PM
    This is pretty obvious. After all, who wants to write on a glass with a piece of plastic?
    08-20-2018 09:26 AM
    This is pretty obvious. After all, who wants to write on a glass with a piece of plastic?
    So convince a bunch of iPad/Apple Pencil users of that.

I put matte screen protectors on my Go and my iPads. I haven’t inked with the Go much, just tried it as a white board (with both OneNote and the whiteboard app, connected to an overhead projector and not connected) and it worked fine for me. I will not have to raise the overhead projector screen and write on the glass whiteboard in my classroom. Instead, I can accomplish the same thing with my Go.
    jnjroach likes this.
    08-20-2018 11:34 AM
    Those people who keep saying iOS and android have the Microsoft Office, how much thing you can do on these "mobile" version of Microsoft Office with limited functions compared to a full version of Microsoft Office on the surface go with all features available?
    LibbyLA and Zeem Frostmaw like this.
    08-23-2018 12:27 AM
    Those people who keep saying iOS and android have the Microsoft Office, how much thing you can do on these "mobile" version of Microsoft Office with limited functions compared to a full version of Microsoft Office on the surface go with all features available?
    Not to mention multitasking on iOS and Android is laughable by comparison. Want two word documents open at the same time? You can't. That's it.

Windows has no competition when it comes to actual productivity.
    LibbyLA and Derrick Taylor4 like this.
    08-23-2018 03:42 PM
    I know a couple of new high school freshman (one is my daughter) who have bought Surface Gos. In each case, it was a pretty simple explanation: "My backpack is already too heavy. This is a small Windows PC that weights a pound."

It's the same reason I bought one for myself. For routine meetings, this is much easier to lug around than my Surface Book 2 (which I love, but it is heavier).

I don't know whether school districts will spend the extra money to lighten students' backpacks. But when students/parents are making the purchase, this is pretty cheap, super small/light, and has full Windows.
    LibbyLA likes this.
    08-24-2018 01:22 PM
    So I decided to try out a Surface Go during our Christmas break. After using it for 10 days, I'm even more conviced that this device will not succeed in the Education market; espcially the Elementary/Middle School space.
    This is a wonderfull device, but it's stuck 'in the middle' between too many other devices.
    It's definitly not going to replace our iPads. No educational apps being developed for this platform; Windows 10 is NOT a touch friendly OS. I purchased the first/original Surface RT, and LOVED it! Because...Windows 8/8.1 was a super touch friendly OS; it was built for touch. It was awesome!
    The only thing i didn't like was the 16:9 screen aspect ratio (I wish it would have been 3:2) Windows 10 is nowhere near acceptable for a touchscreen device. It's built for laptops - with or without touchscreens. My 950XL is built for touch; my S8+ is built for touch. Not this device. There's no way this Go will replace our iPads.
    So...can it still be used in an Elementary/Middle school arena is other ways. Our students do plenty of research, use OneNote, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Sway etc.
    Now the problem for this device becomes its price: way too high! I've got a mid-range ASUS Chromebook, 'ruggadized' with tough rubber edges; turn it on and it gets 10 hours battery life; runs all the Office apps; can now split-screen apps (yes!), HDMI and USB and card reader. It cost me $269 CDN. The Surface Go starts at $529 CDN; add the $149 keyboard, and you're over $650 CDN. That's way too much of a difference for any IT department to even consider.
    I've actually enjoyed using this little machine. Reminds me so much of my Surface RT. The problem is that it's 'stuck in the middle', sort of in 'no man's land'. This will become even more apparent when the foldable phones start coming out. Unfolded, their screens will be 2/3 the size of the GO, and will fit in your pocket. The GO is too big for your pocket, and not big enough to replace your laptop. Again: it's 'in between' too many other devices. Too bad....
    Gayle Lynn likes this.
    01-01-2019 02:38 PM
    Maybe when Windows on ARM with SnapDragon 1000 finally arrives this could finally be what I'd hoped it would.

Had the RT also and this feels like a step backward.

Maybe having SnapDragon will attract more apps and touch support. For now I still use Samsung Tab and iPad pro along with Note 9. The Note + stylus works and it has to be just as good on Go.

For now I traded in Surface Pro 2017, too bug as tablet for me, and use SL2 along with others.
    01-01-2019 03:14 PM
    Succeed or not, the Surface Go will have at least one educational victory under its belt.

https://www.windowscentral.com/micro...admission-test
    Insti Gator likes this.
    01-02-2019 07:02 AM
    I'm aware of some very large School Districts in the US that looking at purchasing the Surface Go for their students, we're talking thousands of machines per district.

And when this thread says it will fail, you miss the point of the device and what success for Microsoft is with these....
    Insti Gator likes this.
    01-02-2019 08:55 AM
    So it looks like my sad prediction is coming true: news of Windows 'Lite' on the horizon leaves Windows S spiraling to the same fate and demise as Windows RT (and Windows 8/8.1), there is no way the Surface GO will have any impact on the Education market. The battle for schools has been fought and won - by iPads and Chromebooks. This is a repeat performance, just like in mobile, where 'you know who' said there was 'no point having a third operating system'...

Update: so I'm watching the Lakers/Clippers game on TV going into OT; they keep showing Steve Ballmer in crowd, jumping up and down when his Clips score. I'm so conflicted when I see him. I remember back during his time, I was using a SAMSUNG ATIV SE phone running Windows 8.1 - super awesome! ; I bought the first Surface RT tablet and thought it was so cool. I loved my xBox music; things in the Windows/Microsoft world were so exciting and promising....and now:(
    Last edited by darrell reimer; 02-01-2019 at 12:12 AM.
    01-31-2019 11:42 PM
    So it looks like my sad prediction is coming true: news of Windows 'Lite' on the horizon leaves Windows S spiraling to the same fate and demise as Windows RT (and Windows 8/8.1), there is no way the Surface GO will have any impact on the Education market.
    I think you're missing the point...

Microsoft sells software and services. The Surface hardware makes up less than 5% of MS's total revenue (sources below). Less than 5%. They DO NOT CARE about selling Surface Go. They want to sell Windows 10. The Surface line is a way to demonstrate to other OEMs (HP, Dell, Lenovo) what products will exploit Windows 10 capability to the fullest extent. That's why every Surface device is of the highest quality and uses the most features of Windows 10 (namely digital inking input).

So MS doesn't need, care, or want Surface Go to dominate the education market. They want the product to have some sales success so that HP, Dell and Lenovo see that these machines have something to offer education markets and then those OEM's will be incentivized to create more affordable machines that meet education needs. MS's strategy is called "Halo Devices" or "Reference Design". Products that, while good in their own right, are not intended to sell in mass volume but to inspire others or be a "Halo" for others to aspire towards, which in turn sell more Windows devices boosting MS's operating system presence.

MS only care about selling more Office suite and Windows 10 to education market. Surface Go is just one of many ways they are trying it, since it comes with Windows 10S and they cannot fail because they don't have any significant market share. Therefore they have nothing to lose. If they do not gain education market share they remain the same (no loss). If they do gain market share they increase/win.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=y4oeEUon

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/30/m...nings-q2-2019/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/...surface-gaming
    HeyCori, raycpl and jnjroach like this.
    02-01-2019 09:06 AM
    So it looks like my sad prediction is coming true: news of Windows 'Lite' on the horizon leaves Windows S spiraling to the same fate and demise as Windows RT (and Windows 8/8.1), there is no way the Surface GO will have any impact on the Education market. The battle for schools has been fought and won - by iPads and Chromebooks. This is a repeat performance, just like in mobile, where 'you know who' said there was 'no point having a third operating system'...
    Windows in S-mode isn't dead. Windows Lite is S-mode. First, you have to consider what S-mode truly is - it's full Windows. The only limitation of S-mode is it can't run 32/64-bit applications. But the ability to do so is easily unlocked because, again, S-mode is just full Windows.

Windows Lite will actually be what Microsoft intended to do with S-mode, and that's offer a computer with a lightweight operating system that can only run UWP and PWA applications. You are going out of your way to turn this into a bad thing. It absolutely is not.

Furthermore, Microsoft actually increased their market share in the education market last few quarters. And that's not to take anything away from Chrome OS which is still kicking tail, but it's not a two-horse race with both Google and Microsoft eating into Apple's lunch. Windows Lite will further help Microsoft compete against both companies.

As for your Surface Go comments - do you know when Windows Lite is coming out? Next month? This year? Next year? No one knows. So trying to equate the announcement of Windows Lite as a sign that the Go won't have an impact is a flawed argument. Insti Gator is much more on-point as to what "success" means for Microsoft. Success means getting Windows into the classroom, not getting a particular device in there.
    jnjroach and Insti Gator like this.
    02-01-2019 09:25 AM
    I love the Surface Go but just dont see it succeeding due to price point.

My boys school district (which is large) dropped Windows and converted to rugged Chromebooks.
    02-19-2019 07:33 AM
    No mention at all of Surface GO at yesterday's big Microsoft event...
    10-03-2019 06:53 PM
67 123