Chuck H2

Jul 29, 2018
Visit site
I agree that the Microsoft Go will be a No Go. The tablet alone is expensive and when you add in the accessories it will make the price out of reach. Microsoft is way too late to make inroads versus chrome books and now iPads.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Who are you agreeing with?

Anyways I'm not sure. I think the device will sell. Probably won't be a super hit considering the amount of competition it has to deal with, but it will sell. The SG isn't supposed to compete with chromebooks (or maybe just the ones above $300). Anyways, your productivity can be severely limited with a chromebook, whereas the Go gives you some more breathing room. While it does ship with Windows S, you can easily switch to W10 home edition, which should offer more freedom when it comes to what you can/can't run on the device.

How many accessories would you need anyways?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
ipads have been a shrinking market for about 4 years. It's only be buoyed by a very un-apple move, to make a budget version. Chromebooks don't have any significant market penetration outside of the US, specifically in education. Hybrid windows tablets however are both the fastest growing segment of tablets, and the fastest growing segment of laptops - which is in turn, the fastest growing segment of PCs.

The go isn't going to replace the ipad, but don't be so certain about the perpetual stagnation and stillness of technology markets.

Moreover, MSFT has never been a hardware company, nor made any significant profit from hardware (nor BTW, has google). The surface range, like the pixel range is supposed to inspire other OEMs and provide a reference point for software. Market domination via hardware is not required.

The whole point for MSFT I think, is to inspire OEMS to develop smaller form factors, more affordable quality hardware, and to further develop the OS, for such form factors. It's a deliberate move to diversify from the 12-15 inch hybrid tablet beast that's been stirring up so much OEM and consumer interest.

poliTechnsis

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm an admitted Microsoft fan, and the Go is cool, but it's not the Andromeda I've been waiting for. That's not to say Go might not achieve commercial success. My tastes are not common.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Surface Go will see broad success in the market. One of the biggest issues is a lack of identity. Who is this device for? It seems Microsoft has no idea. It's not an iPad competitor since it has no apps, it's not good for education since people still in school are more well versed with mobile platforms than a Windows 10 PC.

The price is way too high, not because the hardware is bad, but because the ecosystem is empty. Without mobile, touch first apps, no Windows 10 tablet can have any success. And to those that say, oh, you can install legacy Windows programs... who cares? That is a dead end road. No new products and services are developing Windows applications.

By not including the keyboard, they are seemingly telling consumers that this is a tablet first. The issue is that using any Windows 10 device as touch first is going to be a bad experience compared to an iPad. They really need to do more to get the biggest mobile apps and games into the store. I realize this is a difficult task, and in the past offering to build he apps themselves or pay developers to build them didn't succeed. I'm not sure how they can actually get people to develop for this platform, but without that dev support, it's going no where.

kwickone

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I just got my "Go" and so far, like it quite a bit as a companion device to my Surface Book. I also have an iPhone and an iPad. On my iPad, 10.5", all I really do is web, email/calendar/contacts, read books, watch movies, and very occasional light gaming. (my iPhone is my "app" device, with games and apps galore).

I believe the Go could replace my iPad. The kickers for me were no Kindle app and no visibility into my Apple purchased movies.

For the movies, moviesanywhere.com has solved that. Link your accounts after registering, and I can see all my movies (MSFT and Apple) in the Movies/TV app. Pretty awesome!

For Kindle, it is less elegant, but their web "app" at read dot amazon dot com actually works pretty well. Even allows downloading your books and syncing across devices.

As for the hardware, the Go is pretty awesome for me. The kickstand and keyboard blow the iPad options away!

My 2 cents.

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Do you honestly think the world runs on brand new apps, or actually do most businesses use legacy apps? Clearly you live in a blinkered world, where you believe your use case is the only possible scenario, well for my business, it isn't we need win32 and as we travel a lot to clients, who also run legacy apps on Windows, a relatively low power, good battery life and light device would be perfect.

I have a major Win32 app, that I run on all my PCs, can't do my job without it, there's no iOS or Android alternative, but it works with touch surprisingly well, but I would still use a keyboard and mouse most of the time, except when flying. The Go would be perfect.

The real world is full of businesses dependent on old apps, that just work, they can't be converted to modern tech., so the businesses still use old school windows devices. To get an idea, I setup and configure a device that uses an OS from 2006, the devices are brand new - for the businesses that use them, they're perfect and weirdly faster and more efficient than the replacements using a more modern OS. This is why our customers still use them.

My problem with the Go, is justifying the expense to save a few 100g of weight, compared to my Surface Pro 4, but the move from a Dell XPS15 to Surface was justifiable, it might be difficult to go the next step. Perhaps I'll get my son one, and try it out first.

Andrew G1

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Idunno, a cheap, functional, robust Windows tablet that's effectively a cheaper, smaller version of the Surface Pro sounds perfect for front-line workers and retail, school boards, and students who want a portable all-in-one (note taking, Word and Excel, various software needed for college, etc.). If I were a poor undergrad again I'd get this in a heartbeat.

I should also mention that the reviews have been pretty good so far, even from Apple ****** outlets like The Verge.

I agree that the Microsoft Go will be a No Go. The tablet alone is expensive and when you add in the accessories it will make the price out of reach. Microsoft is way too late to make inroads versus chrome books and now iPads.

FooseTV

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
I don't know about failing. I was in a Best Buy last night and decided to check out the Surface Go in person. Not 2 minutes into looking at one a couple walked up and asked to purchase one (the 8GB model) with a cover and pen. They said that they were sold out at all the other stores and drove out to this one because they had some in stock. If what they say is true and they are sold out at several places and people like this couple are willing to drive out of their way to pick one up (with accessories!), the line should do well.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Chrome book or iPad?
If you are a freshman, graduating with 0 PC skill, what kinda career are you expecting?
IT? Designer? Music production? Fashion? Law? Game business? Something that pays you 3K~10K a month?

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I guess it depends on what we would call success. As someone already mentioned, inspiration is and has been the goal for MS for since the original Surface. If OEMs adopt the design style, then Surface Go may see some moderate consumer success.

However, if OEMs like Dell and Lenevo decide to make a similar device, they will likely grab more popularity, because their devices usually include a keyboard, whether detachable or not and likely within the price range of the top of the line Surface Go that doesn't come with a keyboard and pen.

Unfortunately, OEMs don't typically include a pen with touch devices and you have to try and hunt down one that works and works well for your device.

I'm still trying to find a good pen that works for my daughter's Dell XP 360, since she likes to draw with hers.

Cruchy Frog

Feb 10, 2018
Visit site
I believe it would be a mistake to compare the Surface GO with a non Windows device like an iPad or Chromebook.
It's far better to compare it to portable Windows tablets and compact laptops in the same genre.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Yawn the same crowd that think "Nadella is the worst CEO ever!" and "Windows Mobile could have been saved if they had only done...." "Andromeda will fail!"

There's a crew of people on this forum for whom Microsoft can do no good whatsoever.....

Why do they even bother being on this site......

shaddack

Jul 27, 2018
Visit site
I really think the Surface Go will suit me perfectly.

I want a new tablet to complement my Surface Book and my stationary PC. I have considered the Surface Pro 4 but that is too expensive. And it's also the size. I would prefer a 10" device as my tablet.
It does not fit in between a tablet and my Surface Book.

Today I use my tablet for surfing the web, reading e-mail and watching YouTube and Netflix. I also use some apps like Evernote and Todoist. These I want in the future as well.

The SG covers all my tablet needs (Evernote and Todoist are available as apps in the Microsoft Store) with the exception of YouTube maybe. But I hear MyTube is good(?). The YouTube app (on Android for example) is superior to the web page IMO. So I would like an app for that. And granted, the Evernote app in the Store is not really that touch friendly but that does not bother me. It is better with mouse and keyboard anyway.

Then when I travel or go to conferences and so on I can use the Go as a tablet or PC. I have access to all my files via OneDrive and I can also benefit from good tablet apps as Netflix with the possibility to download content locally.

And I'm also a developer and I want to be able to write some code on the go. Of course, I can not build any huge projects on this device but I can do some experimentation and do some casual work. This is actually a very strong point for me and a big reason why I want "a real computer".

My only real concern is the battery life which we always want tons of! :) But I guess it will just have to do. It's great that it can be charged with my phone charger at least! Good for on the go

So I get that this description does not match everyone but I just wanted to pitch in why I want to buy a Surface Go and why I think it is a perfect mach for me!

Best regards

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think business will like these. Portable and powerful enough for retail and the like.

Some consumers will like them. But I doubt these will stop people buying an iPad.

While a $1000 Surface Pro can take having $100 accessories, I feel that at the $399 price point, that's too much and will put people off. It all depends on whether people see these as being 'Premium'. I.e. an iPad supports high end accessories because of the Apple factor. Does Surface have this too?

Saying that, I want to get one to see if it can replace an iPad. But I may wait and see if any good Black Friday deals appear.

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
I don't know why it won't succeed. It doesn't have to outsell the competition to be a solid choice for Surface fans and to introduce new people to the line.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered one from Microsoft, just the tablet, no pen and no KB. 8gb model.
If it doesn’t fit my needs MS offers free shipping and free returns.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't think the Surface Go will see broad success in the market. One of the biggest issues is a lack of identity. Who is this device for? It seems Microsoft has no idea. It's not an iPad competitor since it has no apps, it's not good for education since people still in school are more well versed with mobile platforms than a Windows 10 PC.

The price is way too high, not because the hardware is bad, but because the ecosystem is empty. Without mobile, touch first apps, no Windows 10 tablet can have any success. And to those that say, oh, you can install legacy Windows programs... who cares? That is a dead end road. No new products and services are developing Windows applications.

By not including the keyboard, they are seemingly telling consumers that this is a tablet first. The issue is that using any Windows 10 device as touch first is going to be a bad experience compared to an iPad. They really need to do more to get the biggest mobile apps and games into the store. I realize this is a difficult task, and in the past offering to build he apps themselves or pay developers to build them didn't succeed. I'm not sure how they can actually get people to develop for this platform, but without that dev support, it's going no where.
, it is obviously aimed at roadwarriors and students (hence the name 'Go'). Those groups are not going to carry a clumsy Chromebook and the Ipad can be to limiting for them. Macbook could be a competition, but that one is also heavier & no touch (/different enough form factor).
Of course it can also be interesting for many other user groups, with the decent igpu for a tablet and pen support (for notes or art) etc.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
It's a go! Just ordered one from Best Buy Ebay for less then 600.00 usd. Got the 8gig model with keyboard. Wife will love it for her on the go meetings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss