SeanD_Colorado

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
My wife hasn't owned a PC device in the past decade, but she *really* wants a Surface Go after checking out my Pro a couple of times. She loves my Pro, but likes the size of the Go. I think they have hit a niche market that will be successful.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Who are you agreeing with?

Anyways I'm not sure. I think the device will sell. Probably won't be a super hit considering the amount of competition it has to deal with, but it will sell. The SG isn't supposed to compete with chromebooks (or maybe just the ones above $300). Anyways, your productivity can be severely limited with a chromebook, whereas the Go gives you some more breathing room. While it does ship with Windows S, you can easily switch to W10 home edition, which should offer more freedom when it comes to what you can/can't run on the device.

How many accessories would you need anyways?
I agree that it will sell. So many avenues this device will fit down. It's a very capable device and with Microsoft Surface quality/backing.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
"Surface Go has the strength of also being a Windows 10 PC."

For most people looking for a "tablet", that is a minus.

Yeah, if that was true apples latest marketing wouldn't be "it's a computer". Clearly at minimum corporations perceive windows hybrids as a market threat, and thus it seems reasonable to assume at least some consumers are attracted to the idea of a tablet that can do more.

Heck, people were attracted to smartphones and tablets in the first place largely for things they could do, but never needed to. Perhaps some market testing has revealed consumers are starting to perceive some mobile devices as more limited? Wouldn't be too surprising now that the shine as worn off, post adoption.

I'm not saying that's true, but I certainly don't think corporations who deal in this industry have your confidence in the lack of threat from the hybrid windows market.

Bredtoaster

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I agree that the Microsoft Go will be a No Go. The tablet alone is expensive and when you add in the accessories it will make the price out of reach. Microsoft is way too late to make inroads versus chrome books and now iPads.

Completely agree. In the Netherlands Microsoft will miss an entire generation of consumers. They need to undercut the iPad in pricing. They need to include the keyboard for that price.They can not count on hwpartners to pick up their slack. By acting too late as usual, it's clearly the same situation as windows phone. History repeats, at least in Europe.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
If I were looking for a tablet that is just a tablet, I'd look at Android tablets. Some would look at iPads too but I just can't get myself around iOS, I hate that OS.

I have a love/hate relationship with my iPads. The lack of a decent file system is a big problem. The main feature they offer me is an easy way to scroll (scrub) through a lot of photos and quickly favorite the ones I want to keep before transferring the favorites to my desktop and deleting everything from the iPads.

tflash

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
I personally won't be buying the Go because I already bought an Acer switch 3 last year that is a very similar product.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how popular the Go is everywhere, but where i am in Canada the 3 best buys i visited were sold out. I was on the fence between Surface Go or Surface Laptop, in the end i got the Laptop as it was $300 off and worked out to only be $100 more than a 8gb Go with keyboard (and doesn't get W10 Pro free). I was surprised all 3 locations were sold out, but i guess Surfaces are selling well (never thought they did) as even all mid range Pro's also sold out (it was another option).

mongo46

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Pre-ordered mine last week from the Microsoft store (almost got it from Amazon) but I didn't have a guaranteed delivery date and I was getting ready to head out for vacation. Bonus - better extended warranty from Microsoft and qualified for 10% student/parent discount. I have a Surface Pro 4 from work and an IPAD (from work) but there's only so much I can do with the units because of work protocols. Within 1 week of receiving it, I have it customized the way I want it without work restrictions. Have the consumption media I wanted and was able to host a meeting, (with add-ons) operate like a full computer by reviewing email, spreadsheet and project onto screen and discuss. Scrolling is smooth and quick. I am a power user so I know once I get the large spreadsheets loaded up, it will NOT be that quick but for consumption, so far so good. Tomorrow I'll be on a train, with video content loaded and entertainment added and ready to enjoy the smaller footprint. I am eager to test the battery life. There is interest. Will it challenge the IPAD market? No. Does it need to beat the IPAD to win? No. It just needs a decent install base to make a profit and from the reviews and comments I've seen so far, I think it will do quite well. No grand slam, but maybe a hit (and rbi).

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think if at least the type cover was included in the price as a package deal it would be a great device and it could become a thing.

For me for now I can't recommend the device due to the poor battery life and choice of processor, and the poor state of the tablet experience in Windows 10.

Realitista

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm buying one.

There's really no other decent option for a 10" tablet that you can do real work on. Believe me, I tried. Most have a timy amount of space or won't even allow you to sync your files locally with popular file sync software like Dropbox. I'm waiting for the 256gb LTE, and this will be my new tablet for meetings and travel.

I think they are virtually uncontested in this market now, as most other Windows 10" devices don't exist any more or are severely crippled in terms of storage, wireless, and power. Whatever market exists for 10" devices that you can actually do real work on for the next couple years will go to Microsoft.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I think if at least the type cover was included in the price as a package deal it would be a great device and it could become a thing.

For me for now I can't recommend the device due to the poor battery life and choice of processor, and the poor state of the tablet experience in Windows 10.

don't know what you're talking about, windows 10 works flawless on all my surface products in tablet experience... (I own the SP3 and the Surface 3) maybe try giving some examples instead of baseless remarks?? and how would you know about poor battery life if you don't own one? by reading about it? and whats wrong with the processor? it out performs A LOT of tablets and near performs as well as the surface pro tablets. in fact I read a SG owner said it out performed his surface laptop... go figure? I'm thinking of picking up a SG but the ONLY thing stopping me is the small form factor, its smaller than my Surface 3 and I find that is the smallest I wanna go... since I broke my SP3 screen and its delegated to HTPC and surfing the web in my bedroom connected to my 55" tv. but I luv the size of my SP3...

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
don't know what you're talking about, windows 10 works flawless on all my surface products in tablet experience... (I own the SP3 and the Surface 3) maybe try giving some examples instead of baseless remarks?? and how would you know about poor battery life if you don't own one? by reading about it? and whats wrong with the processor? it out performs A LOT of tablets and near performs as well as the surface pro tablets. in fact I read a SG owner said it out performed his surface laptop... go figure? I'm thinking of picking up a SG but the ONLY thing stopping me is the small form factor, its smaller than my Surface 3 and I find that is the smallest I wanna go... since I broke my SP3 screen and its delegated to HTTP and surfing the web in my bedroom connected to my 55" tv. but I luv the size of my SP3...

For casual use it's a great size. Like if you had both on your coffee table, you'd end up going for the SG more I reckon.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Well I like the idea of a smaller tablet, easier to handle and still keep the productivity like a real PC.

It just the price and SPEC won't convince me...

I can get a china tablet for 75% of the price with similar CPU, 4/6 GB of RAM, 128 GB storage(even with mSATA/M2 SSD slot for upgrade) and similar battery time which is always the weak point those china tablet compare to big brand products but Surface go just give it away with that small battery.....

The only selling points Surface Go to me over those china tablets are 3:2 display ratio, 4096 level touch pen(sadly I'm not using stylus) and the logo.

I'm ok with 4 GB RAM since I'm currently using a 4/128 version Surface Pro as my portable working device with zero issue, just the price and 64 GB version stays with eMMC really is a no go to me....:(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire