beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I like the idea of a smaller tablet, easier to handle and still keep the productivity like a real PC.

It just the price and SPEC won't convince me...

I can get a china tablet for 75% of the price with similar CPU, 4/6 GB of RAM, 128 GB storage(even with mSATA/M2 SSD slot for upgrade) and similar battery time which is always the weak point those china tablet compare to big brand products but Surface go just give it away with that small battery.....

The only selling points Surface Go to me over those china tablets are 3:2 display ratio, 4096 level touch pen(sadly I'm not using stylus) and the logo.

I'm ok with 4 GB RAM since I'm currently using a 4/128 version Surface Pro as my portable working device with zero issue, just the price and 64 GB version stays with eMMC really is a no go to me....:(

I don't understand how anyone can compare a Chinese tablet to the Surface line, the Quality is so much different! which is why the price is so much different... all your looking at is the bottom line, dollars to cents... then that doesn't make it any better than the S-GO. and in the short run you will lose because Chinese tablets are just throw away consumption devices..

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand how anyone can compare a Chinese tablet to the Surface line, the Quality is so much different! which is why the price is so much different... all your looking at is the bottom line, dollars to cents... then that doesn't make it any better than the S-GO. and in the short run you will lose because Chinese tablets are just throw away consumption devices..

Really? every gen of Surface pro faced different quality/design issues and only till the 5th gen they seems to have sort most of it out. I don't rekon it having better build quality than others so the new product line for sure not giving the confidence.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Really? every gen of Surface pro faced different quality/design issues and only till the 5th gen they seems to have sort most of it out. I don't rekon it having better build quality than others so the new product line for sure not giving the confidence.

not true, only the first and second gen had quality issues, by the 3rd iteration they seemed to work out all the bugs, and then just got better and better... not so much quality issue but just better designing cosmetically and little things here and there...things like the kickstand or thinner bezels, little improvements like that.. those things don't have anything to do with Quality... also I have 4 different surface line tablets so I know a little about the quality of them... and they all work amazingly well! surface RT is still going strong after what? 5 years? but believe what you want... Also I got the Surface pro 3 which is 3rd gen and its still working great also...

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well I like the idea of a smaller tablet, easier to handle and still keep the productivity like a real PC.

I can get a china tablet for 75% of the price with similar CPU, 4/6 GB of RAM, 128 GB storage(even with mSATA/M2 SSD slot for upgrade) and similar battery time which is always the weak point those china tablet compare to big brand products but Surface go just give it away with that small battery.....

The only selling points Surface Go to me over those china tablets are 3:2 display ratio, 4096 level touch pen(sadly I'm not using stylus) and the logo.

I'm ok with 4 GB RAM since I'm currently using a 4/128 version Surface Pro as my portable working device with zero issue, just the price and 64 GB version stays with eMMC really is a no go to me....:(

Well hang on a minute. What tablets in that size from China have a similar cpu and m.2 slot? I thought they were all either bigger or weaker? Is this a real apples to apples comparison? Examples?

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The Surface Go just doesn't have a market. Who is it for, really? The iPad was so successful because it was for everyone, literally anybody from your grandma to a toddler could pick it up and learn to quickly use it. Windows on the other hand, how many horror stories have you heard about users getting a thousand viruses on their laptops and having it crawl to a halt?

The Surface Go is neither good at being a tablet or a laptop. Windows 10 is awful as a tablet experience, and a 10 inch laptop is miserable to live with. If you want a good tablet experience, get an iPad or an Android tablet. If you want a good laptop experience, get a laptop. If you want an awful tablet and a miserable laptop, get a Surface Go.

Then there's the education sector. Why would any school pay $400 per Surface Go + $100 per keyboard when they can just get a Chromebook for $150 with offline office apps for free? The Surface Go is too expensive to compete when education is always getting budget cuts.

So really, the Surface Go is a niche device. Really, I think it's for people who like gadgets and have money to blow and who can prioritize having a shiny new tech toy over actual functionality.

demhyt

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
So really, the Surface Go is a niche device. Really, I think it's for people who like gadgets and have money to blow and who can prioritize having a shiny new tech toy over actual functionality.

I dont think so...I'm interest in Go because I want use full pc capability in small device (I never think Go is tablet and compete apple to apple with iPad) so I think it's depend on what your need to use gadget...I'm long time mac user and until now I still believe macbook is best laptop I ever use but I need secondary device with full pc capability like my macbook because I'm often working mobile...I know several devices like Go but I like the surface product great build quality...I agree with you maybe the Go market not as big as Ipad or chromebook on education but I believe Go have some place in the market for people who want full pc capability on smaller form factor with great build quality too I think

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Windows on the other hand, how many horror stories have you heard about users getting a thousand viruses on their laptops and having it crawl to a halt?
, yes spread the fake news >.>
You do know that Windows 10 is much more secure compared to Windows versions that are ~15(!) years old? (Windows XP etc)
Android devices are much more prone to viruses as they get updated far less often or not get updated even at all with some brands.

, there is no other windows 10 tablet that directly compares to the Surface Go atm, not even the galaxy book. Because of: weight, kickstand, speaker quality, gpu speed, cooling/heat-management, 3:2 screen, brightness screen, colors/contrast screen etc. Also those batteries in the Chinese tablets often deteriorate rapidly (so after a year or 2 they can get worse quickly, depends a bit if you are unlucky or not). You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
not true, only the first and second gen had quality issues, by the 3rd iteration they seemed to work out all the bugs, and then just got better and better... not so much quality issue but just better designing cosmetically and little things here and there...things like the kickstand or thinner bezels, little improvements like that.. those things don't have anything to do with Quality... also I have 4 different surface line tablets so I know a little about the quality of them... and they all work amazingly well! surface RT is still going strong after what? 5 years? but believe what you want... Also I got the Surface pro 3 which is 3rd gen and its still working great also...

I had Surface 1 & 2 (RT). Both were terrible, they broke right after the warrantee expired. I've never bought a Surface since. I think the form factor of the Surface Go is exactly what I want, but way too many issues keeping me from buying it.

me2olive

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
I forgot all about that app. Still, Amazon's apps on Windows are so bad that I'd rather put my money where my mouth is and just not use Amazon's software. A company with pockets as deep as Amazon simply does not have an excuse.

You actually have three choices on Windows, that Windows store app (which isn't great, you're right), the full PC Kindle app which is much better and supports personal documents etc., and the cloud reader. Plus as a full PC you can run great Kindle managing software like Calibre for converting and sending your Kindle ebooks. So, lots of choices and flexibility on a Windows device.

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The Surface Go just doesn't have a market. Who is it for, really? The iPad was so successful because it was for everyone, literally anybody from your grandma to a toddler could pick it up and learn to quickly use it. Windows on the other hand, how many horror stories have you heard about users getting a thousand viruses on their laptops and having it crawl to a halt?

The Surface Go is neither good at being a tablet or a laptop. Windows 10 is awful as a tablet experience, and a 10 inch laptop is miserable to live with. If you want a good tablet experience, get an iPad or an Android tablet. If you want a good laptop experience, get a laptop. If you want an awful tablet and a miserable laptop, get a Surface Go.

Then there's the education sector. Why would any school pay $400 per Surface Go + $100 per keyboard when they can just get a Chromebook for $150 with offline office apps for free? The Surface Go is too expensive to compete when education is always getting budget cuts.

Seriously, are you another one of these people who thinks, theirs is the only possible use case? I fly a lot, so do a lot of other people, size and weight is important. In fact the carry on limit on my next flight means my laptop bag and other equipment would exceed it, with my Surface Pro 4. With the Go I'm ok. But more importantly weight is everything if you're lugging it around. The Surface Go is without doubt one of the best made, lightest, fully spec'd PC out there. I spent a day working with mine, instead of my normal old XPS 15 i7 from a few years back, it's barely noticeably slower, certainly does everything I need, especially running those old Win32 apps that so many businesses rely on, but the Chromebook advocates can't understand. Oh and another thing, generally when flying the only cloud available is the fluffy variety, not much use for cloud based OS is it?

You're not wrong the Go is expensive, especially compared to the Chromebooks, less so if you specified an Android tablet to the same level or an Apple, but I believe there is a market that will pay for the benefits.

Ok, so the education market is price sensitive, true, but are the parents so price sensitive. I bought my Go, to see how good it was to do my job, I now think I might get one each for my two sons to do their school work, it seems to be far more capable than a Chromebook and allows them to do far more computing than any none Windows alternative. They're due an upgrade from there old computers, so maybe the cheaper Go is the best bet.

Though to be fare I suspect education is not the big market place, it's those who need the power, the design and weight. Just like the Raspberry Pi that was built for education, but became a massive seller in many other markets, I think the Go will appeal to business, which will pay the slight premium for the benefits it comes with.

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I had Surface 1 & 2 (RT). Both were terrible, they broke right after the warrantee expired. I've never bought a Surface since. I think the form factor of the Surface Go is exactly what I want, but way too many issues keeping me from buying it.

You sound like one of those I had a Maxtor hard drive fail on me, I'll never buy them again.

I've had a Surface Pro 4 for getting on for 2 years, it's traveled 1000s of miles with me and hasn't missed a beat. I hope my Go manages the same. From initial experience with the Go, I don't see any reason to expect anything else - obviously its early days, but you take the same risk when you buy anything. If you rule out purchasing any product because of past issues, you'd probably find yourself in a very limited world :)

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a surface pro 5 (2017) or I would be all over this. Still might buy one and see if it meets my needs (Battery and Power) and sell the Pro and keep the change.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Funny, like you never heard the SP4 screen issue and free recall from Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb