It's really cute (but wasted trip to the store)

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I visited the store in Metairie (a little over an hour away). There were at least 5 or 6 staff in the store and I was the only customer just after 10 AM when the store opened. Their web site mentioned a roll out event from 10 AM to noon, but there was no action, looked like a regular slow (how do they stay in business?) day.

I should have called before I went. I can only use the business version with Windows Professional installed because of a particular program that I teach and use, which won't run on Win Home.

The business models are not stocked in stores and there's no way to upgrade the consumer model to Win Pro without paying $200 extra, when the business model is only $50 more. I'm hoping to be able to get the educational discount, which means I have to talk to specific people to order, not just the regular business order line.

Very disappointed that I wasn't able to bring a new toy home, but it is little and cute and I think I'll adjust to the keyboard pretty quickly. I was planning to get it set up today and use it for the last part of getting my course materials ready for the fall semester.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I visited the store in Metairie (a little over an hour away). There were at least 5 or 6 staff in the store and I was the only customer just after 10 AM when the store opened. Their web site mentioned a roll out event from 10 AM to noon, but there was no action, looked like a regular slow (how do they stay in business?) day.

I should have called before I went. I can only use the business version with Windows Professional installed because of a particular program that I teach and use, which won't run on Win Home.

The business models are not stocked in stores and there's no way to upgrade the consumer model to Win Pro without paying $200 extra, when the business model is only $50 more. I'm hoping to be able to get the educational discount, which means I have to talk to specific people to order, not just the regular business order line.

Very disappointed that I wasn't able to bring a new toy home, but it is little and cute and I think I'll adjust to the keyboard pretty quickly. I was planning to get it set up today and use it for the last part of getting my course materials ready for the fall semester.

I didn't know that the price difference was so vast between business and consumer for the Win Pro upgrade. Thank you for sharing your experience, it was very helpful.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
It gets even better (NOT!). Now I'm told that because I'm an individual, not a business, I can't buy a Go with Win Pro installed on it. I should have been helped in the store to upgrade to Win Pro in the Windows App Store (but at what cost?).

I went to the store thinking that someone would be able to make sure I got the Go that I need. One of the associates was very nice and sympathetic but she didn't know much. She did say that I could update Windows through the store but I didn't get to price before Mr. Snotty walked up and told me I'd have to pay $200. (So the business version with Win 10 Pro already on it is $50 more than the consumer version with Win 10 Home, but I have to pay $150 above that???? Really????)

I get Mr. Snotty's attitude because I'm kind of that way, but I'm not in sales or tech support (for a reason!).

So now I don't know what to do. The version of the Go with Win Pro is the only version that will work for me. I don't want to pay $150 more for it because I have to buy the consumer version instead of the business version. That doesn't seem reasonable.

Yes, I can get Win 10 Pro from my workplace but I'll be retiring sooner rather than later and I want my own license for Win 10 Pro, not something that's dependent on my employment.

I want to know what I have to do to qualify as a business.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
The people at the store are working at making it happen. It’s updating Windows then we’ll try to install the upgrade. It’s not wanting to do that now.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
So it turns out that even though MS will take your money to upgrade to Windows 101 Pro, they won’t actually upgrade the consumer version of the tablet. Basically, MS is refusing to sell me a Surface Go that will work for me. I will have driven 260 miles and wasted an entire day and evening.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
So it turns out that even though MS will take your money to upgrade to Windows 101 Pro, they won’t actually upgrade the consumer version of the tablet. Basically, MS is refusing to sell me a Surface Go that will work for me. I will have driven 260 miles and wasted an entire day and evening.

If it is S Mode the only upgrade that will work is through the store...

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
The consumer model apparently cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

I'm going to try to get to the bottom of the business thing tomorrow. This is crazy.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The consumer model apparently cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

I'm going to try to get to the bottom of the business thing tomorrow. This is crazy.

Wow that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that, I hope that you would be able to get a solution that works for your needs.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I am told that I won't be able to order online because MS will not ship "business" models to residences. I don't know whether I can use my work address or my fiancé's address (which is both business and home) but I'm going to give the people at the Metairie store a chance to see what they can do before resorting to those options.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
That's a possibility, but I'll see if I can get it directly first. The business division people who are trying to help me would be the ones handling that purchase program if there were one, so I'm thinking that there is not.

It's kind of silly to me that MS wants to push this for the education market but doesn't seem to realize that K-12 might be a little bit different from higher ed.

I'm running Win 10 Pro on a Dell Venue 8 Pro, for goodness sake!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@LibbyLA I'm Curious, who told you that the consumer version cannot be upgraded to 10 Pro?

As there is no reason why it should not be able to do so.

Here is a use case to hopefully bolsters your case when speaking to the business division.

General:
Businesses need to be able run Windows 10 Pro run on the Surface Go LTE as W10 Home is useless for almost all professionals and almost every single business without the purchase of external encryption tools and services.

The Encryption and Group policy tools are only available with W10 Pro plus devices running 10 Home cannot even join a domain.

Legal Implications:

Before I get into that, I need to point out that the GDPR (EU General Data Protection Regulation - came into play in May 2018) is about safeguarding personal data - any data that can identify an individual.

Any business (especially in the EU) using a device running W10 home is effectively in breach of GDPR as it doesn't have the tools to prevent data exposure without purchase of additional tools or services (additional costs and maintenance).

GDPR covers key aspects:

• Requiring the consent of subjects for data processing
  • Anonymizing collected data to protect privacy
  • Providing data breach notifications
  • Safely handling the transfer of data across borders

It also mandates every business have an impact assessment of all their equipment, data policies and training when it comes to safeguarding personal data.

GDPR was created to prevent the instances like the Equifax breach as indicated by the maximum imposable fine of €20 million or 4% of the company’s global annual turnover.

The key articles that really outline it's purpose for the average joe is:
Articles 23 & 30
– Articles 23 and 30 require companies to implement reasonable data protection measures to protect consumers’ personal data and privacy against loss or exposure.

https://digitalguardian.com/blog/wh...erstanding-and-complying-gdpr-data-protection

Another key point to note Glaxosmith Kline (a major pharmaceutical company) has obtained a exclusivity detail with 23&me, to access 23&me's customers Genomics data. GDPR prevents (as the data can only processed for it's required purpose and nothing else - 23&Me's purpose of your Genomics data was to identify your heritage and not to sell or allow external parties to this data without your consent and to prevent said parties targeting you with adverts pertaining to your health for example - apparently the partnership is develop new medicine - but it's always more than that) but This only applies to any businesses operating in the EU but since 23&Me is located in San Francisco it doesn't impact them legally.

Another note worth point, is that the DOD got hacked through a router bug https://arstechnica.com/information...-to-steal-sensitive-dod-drone-tank-documents/

Use case:
The whole premise for the NGO I work with to start using the Surface Go with LTE or other similiar capable tablets is to enable every member of the organisation to be productive and to enable sign ups of baskteball players much easier as well as facilitate other functions and services (suchas payment processing on site with the built-in NFC) as well as safeguarding their data using IT Policy, Data Encryption and VPN Connections.

Because this one device will allow the NGO to save money in the long term and it has the additional benefit of giving positive PR (professionalism, the aura of we know what you are doing which in turn promotes further growth)

On that note, there has to be a LTE SKU on the lower end of the spectrum.

It's moronic to expect a non profit and businesses to spend more than needed when it can be avoided using traditional laptops and mobile broadband hotspots (MiFi).

But it also means additional logistical issues and security implications.

Especially it's more secure to use a single encrypted device connected to the network via a VPN over LTE as opposed to using the WiFi of the laptops connecting to a portable mobile broadband device.

The axiom - "Amateurs discuss tactics and professional study logistics" is true for everything. Because you cannot implement any plan or tactic without the means (skills, personnel, equipment etc) to implement them (logistics).

TLDR:
If the Surface Go cannot run Windows 10 Pro, it is useless for the business sector especially if that business operates in the EU. So if they want to shift alot more Surface Go units and get OEMs on board with high quality 10" tablets therefore fuelling momentum for UWP apps it has to be able to run 10 Pro.

Personally I don't see why the Surface go shouldn't be able to run W10 Pro. I wouldn't have mentioned anything about GDPR if it wasn't the single most broad piece of impactful regulation of the information age.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
@LibbyLA I'm Curious, who told you that the consumer version cannot be upgraded to 10 Pro?

As there is no reason why it should not be able to do so.

Here is a use case to hopefully bolsters your case when speaking to the business division.

General:
Businesses need to be able run Windows 10 Pro run on the Surface Go LTE as W10 Home is useless for almost all professionals and almost every single business without the purchase of external encryption tools and services.

The Encryption and Group policy tools are only available with W10 Pro plus devices running 10 Home cannot even join a domain.

Legal Implications:

Before I get into that, I need to point out that the GDPR (EU General Data Protection Regulation - came into play in May 2018) is about safeguarding personal data - any data that can identify an individual.

Any business (especially in the EU) using a device running W10 home is effectively in breach of GDPR as it doesn't have the tools to prevent data exposure without purchase of additional tools or services (additional costs and maintenance).

GDPR covers key aspects:

• Requiring the consent of subjects for data processing
  • Anonymizing collected data to protect privacy
  • Providing data breach notifications
  • Safely handling the transfer of data across borders

It also mandates every business have an impact assessment of all their equipment, data policies and training when it comes to safeguarding personal data.

GDPR was created to prevent the instances like the Equifax breach as indicated by the maximum imposable fine of €20 million or 4% of the company’s global annual turnover.

The key articles that really outline it's purpose for the average joe is:

https://digitalguardian.com/blog/wh...erstanding-and-complying-gdpr-data-protection

Another key point to note Glaxosmith Kline (a major pharmaceutical company) has obtained a exclusivity detail with 23&me, to access 23&me's customers Genomics data. GDPR prevents (as the data can only processed for it's required purpose and nothing else - 23&Me's purpose of your Genomics data was to identify your heritage and not to sell or allow external parties to this data without your consent and to prevent said parties targeting you with adverts pertaining to your health for example - apparently the partnership is develop new medicine - but it's always more than that) but This only applies to any businesses operating in the EU but since 23&Me is located in San Francisco it doesn't impact them legally.

Another note worth point, is that the DOD got hacked through a router bug https://arstechnica.com/information...-to-steal-sensitive-dod-drone-tank-documents/

Use case:
The whole premise for the NGO I work with to start using the Surface Go with LTE or other similiar capable tablets is to enable every member of the organisation to be productive and to enable sign ups of baskteball players much easier as well as facilitate other functions and services (suchas payment processing on site with the built-in NFC) as well as safeguarding their data using IT Policy, Data Encryption and VPN Connections.

Because this one device will allow the NGO to save money in the long term and it has the additional benefit of giving positive PR (professionalism, the aura of we know what you are doing which in turn promotes further growth)

On that note, there has to be a LTE SKU on the lower end of the spectrum.

It's moronic to expect a non profit and businesses to spend more than needed when it can be avoided using traditional laptops and mobile broadband hotspots (MiFi).

But it also means additional logistical issues and security implications.

Especially it's more secure to use a single encrypted device connected to the network via a VPN over LTE as opposed to using the WiFi of the laptops connecting to a portable mobile broadband device.

The axiom - "Amateurs discuss tactics and professional study logistics" is true for everything. Because you cannot implement any plan or tactic without the means (skills, personnel, equipment etc) to implement them (logistics).

TLDR:
If the Surface Go cannot run Windows 10 Pro, it is useless for the business sector especially if that business operates in the EU. So if they want to shift alot more Surface Go units and get OEMs on board with high quality 10" tablets therefore fuelling momentum for UWP apps it has to be able to run 10 Pro.

Personally I don't see why the Surface go shouldn't be able to run W10 Pro. I wouldn't have mentioned anything about GDPR if it wasn't the single most broad piece of impactful regulation of the information age.

maybe I didn't understand her post or maybe you didn't, but the problem lies in not being able to, it has to do with MS NOT "wanting" to do it for OP because she is not a "company" or "corporate" but a reg "END USER"... which is total nonsense if you ask me...

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
When the guy that was setting up my Go couldn't get it to install Win 10 after an hour or an hour and a half, he called Microsoft. I have no idea who or what division or anything. He was told or got the impression that the consumer version sold in stores couldn't be upgraded.

Friday I was told by someone in the business sales section of that store that the problem occurs when you try to upgrade to Win 10 Pro without turning off S mode first. Microsoft is supposedly aware of this "bug."

Now if you can't upgrade the consumer version, the Windows store shouldn't have allowed the purchase of the upgrade from the store. If it is allowed, either S mode should be turned off automatically if you confirm that you do, indeed want to turn off S mode permanently, forever and ever, amen, and the installation should proceed or there should be a warning that you must turn off S mode first. Somebody didn't take care of basic error checking on that transaction.

I use and teach a course in the statistical programming language SAS. It will run only on Professional/Enterprise versions of Windows. I don't handle any data that requires privacy or encryption, but I can understand why SAS Institute prevents their software from running on an OS that doesn't support those things because SAS is used to analyze a lot of sensitive and private data.

I think this is probably just a launch glitch, with a lot of people not knowing what can be done or how to do it. I read an article written by Ed Bott and he said that he turned S mode off then installed Win 10 Pro using a spare key he had. I think it must be possible to upgrade, I think that it's just not been handled correctly in my situation. I went to the store to avoid any problems caused by me choosing the wrong system and I refused to leave the store with a Go that didn't have Win Pro on it. I think the guy was incredulous when I told him to ring everything back in and refund my money, but I'd explained (repeatedly) why I had to have Win Pro and I'm not spending a penny on a gadget that I've wanted for over 5 years if it can't run SAS.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
We tried that in the store and it would not work then someone at MS told the guy trying to install Win 10 Pro that it couldn’t be done. I think the problem is that he didn’t switch out of S mode first. I don’t have the computer. There wasn’t any point in my bringing home something I could not use.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I received an email a little while ago that said that an 8GB/128GB model with Win 10 Pro installed is being shipped from the warehouse to the store for me. I don't know when it will arrive and that means yet another trip to the store and a half day off from work, but at least there's hope!

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
It should have been, but it wasn't. The store personnel tried but apparently missed a step and when they called for help, were told that the consumer model couldn't be upgraded to Win 10 Pro. Getting the model with Win 10 Pro already installed means I'll just have to switch out of S mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99