It's really cute (but wasted trip to the store)

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I should mention that I succeeded in upgrading to Pro S by changing the Product key...

Pro S is absolutely useless to me. My statistics software is not an app from the store and it will only run with Pro/Enterprise versions of Windows.

I expect to get a Go with Windows 10 Pro already installed. First order of business will be switching it out of S mode.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Pro S is absolutely useless to me. My statistics software is not an app from the store and it will only run with Pro/Enterprise versions of Windows.

I expect to get a Go with Windows 10 Pro already installed. First order of business will be switching it out of S mode.

I can move it out of S Mode on Pro as well....I'm keeping it in S Mode for my needs though...

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
My third trip to the store was the charm. The Win Pro one might come in tomorrow afternoon or it might be next week. I decided that if they could guarantee me that I would leave the store with a working Go with Win 10 Pro installed, I'd go back this afternoon. It took at least an hour and a half to get everything sorted, but I'm home with my Go and installing software on it now. I expect to do several hours of work on it tomorrow, redoing an assignment for my statistical programming class so I'll be running a short program repeatedly, taking screen shots, etc., while working on the assignment handout on my desktop workstation.

I put what it supposed to be a matte finish glass screen protector on it but if this is matte, I'm the queen of England. It will do until I can find a matte protector.

I think this may end up being my favorite portable of all time and I've had a slew of them, from the 30 lb +/- Osborne 2, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Dell Mini 9, Toshiba netbook, and a bunch in between.

I have run CrystalDiskMark on my S3 (C drive, an older 32G micro SD and a new fast 132G micro SD). Will run on the Go once I get my stat software installed.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
So far, I'm really liking it. I'm still in the process of installing my software, but the statistics program came right up lickety split. I'll know a lot more after tomorrow. I have liked a lot of small computers, all of which were a lot less capable. This one should be a cakewalk. I will have to learn to use Win 10 properly, though. I've used all my portable devices with Win 8.1 or Win 10 pretty much as if they are Win 7 devices.

My main gripe is the glossy screens on devices. Hate them and this is no different. I'll find a matte screen protector that suits me eventually.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Can't you just upgrade to Pro by choosing to change your product key, entering the default upgrade license key to upgrade to Pro from MS, then, when on Pro, enter a real Pro license key to activate it? After reading all of this it seems that MS really doesn't think about how consumers might actually use their products, as a business or otherwise.

Glad you got one on the end @LibbyLA. MS still hasn't shipped anything since the Surface Pro 4 to Thailand where I am. I'd be really interested in getting a Go if it was released here (same with SurfaceBook).

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I’m upgraded, but the upgrade that was purchased for the original Go from last week wasn’t available for this new one even though it hadn’t been installed on the first one. The store had to get one of their boxed upgrades. I’m done with that nightmare, thank goodness.

Now I’m fighting with the stupid nag screen every time I get into any Office program. I uninstalled every Office 365 app/program (when we’re at our camp, I have limited or no access to the internet so cloud storage and cloud apps/software are NOT an option for me), installed Office 2016 from my university and activated it. I still get the nag screen every time, but when I close the nag screen then go to File > Account, the Office programs are shown as activated. Grrrrr.... I’ve submitted a support ticket to our IT people.

The only thing I’m not really liking is the glossy, glare-y screen, but that’s a personal preference. It’s very clear, but I’m going to try it with a matte screen protector. Other than that, I’ve been using it pretty heavily the last two days and so far, it’s doing great.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I’m upgraded, but the upgrade that was purchased for the original Go from last week wasn’t available for this new one even though it hadn’t been installed on the first one. The store had to get one of their boxed upgrades. I’m done with that nightmare, thank goodness.

Now I’m fighting with the stupid nag screen every time I get into any Office program. I uninstalled every Office 365 app/program (when we’re at our camp, I have limited or no access to the internet so cloud storage and cloud apps/software are NOT an option for me), installed Office 2016 from my university and activated it. I still get the nag screen every time, but when I close the nag screen then go to File > Account, the Office programs are shown as activated. Grrrrr.... I’ve submitted a support ticket to our IT people.

The only thing I’m not really liking is the glossy, glare-y screen, but that’s a personal preference. It’s very clear, but I’m going to try it with a matte screen protector. Other than that, I’ve been using it pretty heavily the last two days and so far, it’s doing great.

Glad that you was able to find a workable solution after all. Thank you for the update! Hopefully you'll get that Office stuff figured out.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@LibbyLA thanks for the clarification and update, great to hear you finally got it upgrading and I was wondering how reflective the screen was - thanks for answering that question lol.

In regards to office, have you tried signing in with your university email at the top left hand corner?

I got around this by adding my college email on my windows phone and then went to microsoftonline.com. now when I open word on my pc or laptop for example it's always signed in to my college email.

The alternative is to go to microsoftonline.com via edge and save your login there, which should populate across to other office applications.

Another alternative is to add your univesity email to the mail app, the last resort would be adding your university account as a microsoft account under email and accounts. But it may mean you have to use your univesity login details to sign-in. I use a local account with selective sign into apps, meaning I can have multiple emails signed into specific apps. Music email for spotify, dev email for visual studio etc. So tying a microsoft account to a username is not an option for me.

@beman39 Given Microsoft's penchant for doing illogical things, you just never know lol.
@jnjroach, awesome thanks for sharing!

Looks like switching back to S Mode is pretty clunky... hopefully that can be addressed over time.

Since you are in Pro S mode, do you have access to the group policy editor?

Last edited:

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I have tried both my personal email and my university email and I still get the nag screen even though the programs show that Office is activated. I submitted a problem ticket to the IT department so maybe they can help me get it sorted.

The screen is your basic modern shiny glass screen. I'm old enough to remember when screens were matte, before they became media consumption devices rather than productivity tools.

dopps

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
I tried the way you showed it with several Win10 Pro Keys..the Win10 Home (already out of S mode) just says that all keys are incorrect after entering..it sends some data and it takes some seconds..than it gives the error.

Any idea why? :(

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I tried the way you showed it with several Win10 Pro Keys..the Win10 Home (already out of S mode) just says that all keys are incorrect after entering..it sends some data and it takes some seconds..than it gives the error.

Any idea why? :(

What is the error?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)