Surface Go Touchscreen Issues

Taibshe

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Here we go again!

Preordered the 8GB model as soon as the opened them up. Tablet arrived yesterday late. Keyboard has been delayed until "sometime ". Not a problem as I plan on using it primarily as a tablet.

Of course that only works as well as the touchscreen, which kinda doesn't. When it's in portrait mode it's fine. But in landscape mode nothing on the task bar responds. When an app is open, you can't close it by swiping down. And then there all the phantom touches.

I've updated everything I could, calibrated, etc. Not anything useful on the Microsoft site yet (too new), but if it's not working tomorrow morning it's getting returned. I've spend way too much time in the past with touchscreen issues to waste anymore.

Arrrgggh.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
You have my sympathy. I hope you're able to resolve it. It's so frustrating to have high expectations for a new toy and be disappointed right off the bat.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
In windows ink, can you paint at those borders where the taskbar does not work?

My guess would be it was damaged during transport or bad quality check or such, I would try return/bring it to a microsoft shop.

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I had the EXACT same issue with the 8GB model. You could not touch the taskbar. BestBuy took it back no questions after I said what was wrong. New one works perfectly. I couldn't figure out anything to fix it. Even a factory reset of the tablet did nothing. Only reference I could find to the issue was on a Surface Pro 4 that somebody else also returned for a new one.

Taibshe

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
A quick update, just in case anyone's interested. I had pre-ordered from Best Buy. The more I (tried) to use/fix it it became apparent that something was really wrong. MS basically said take it back and exchange it (thread here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-02bc-409d-9368-04611cb76efd?tm=1533337712732)

Found a BB not too far that had it in stock and was out early this AM to exchange. Customer Service desk took about 5 minutes before they said something's definitely wrong and swapped it right out. Also used my $50 pre-order gift card to pick up a Surface Pen.

Result: Replacement one works. Problems solved. A little delay at times for the one-screen keyboard to pop up when hitting a text field. Example: The login screen for entering a PIN. But I've been using Asus Transformers for years and this was intended to replace that aging platform. Bottom line, it blows the latest edition T101H away. Exclamation point. (Of course it costs a good deal more, but there's always a trade off between price and performance and the Go wins.)

In summary:
- Save all your receipts and packaging if you have any issues.
- BB was great to deal with. (Points!)
- The pen's nuisances are taking some time to get used, but I'd buy one of these over the keyboard. Definitely a need to have. Buy a pen before the keyboard.
- Perfect form factor for what I was looking for.
- Performance, simply measured by the time to download and install current updates, was hours less than other tablets that I've bought. (Minutes versus hours.)
- Looking forward to other options/accessories as the product moves forward.
- I actually don't mind the proprietory charging cable as much as I usually do simply because I've taken delivery of a couple laptops lately that use proprietory cables that plug in and appear fragile. At least this one will break away without damage given it's magnetic connections.
- Reviews on the keyboard when BB finally delivers it. (minus points for them on this one.)
- Finally, and overall, this may become more of a daily driver than expected and much more than the Asus T101H could delivery.

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I already have the pen from Surface Book so I ended up buying the keyboard when I returned mine to Best Buy. Maybe it's all a trick to get you back in the store! lol Glad to hear you got your problem resolved too.

gartenspartan

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
this is my first surface device so I don't have any other surface to compare to. I don't have any dead spots on screen, but the touch response and latency is definitely lacking compared to my ipad. surprisingly, it works better and smoother with the pen. With my fingers though, there is issues with response scrolling and zooming. Is this a common experience compared to an iPad or should I have Microsoft look at it?

litterbox5

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
My wife's Surface Go has the same touchscreen issue, although I feel like when we first got the device it didn't have this problem. Will plan on exchanging it. I love the surface devices (I own a SP2017 after having had a SP1, SP2 and SP4) but the QC is a nightmare. I generally have gotten to the point where I expect to have to exchange once or twice each time I get a new one before I get one that isn't a lemon. Simply unacceptable but I like the products too much...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster