Cuulative update keeps failing on 4 GB Surface Go

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I picked up two Surface Gos today - one 8GB and one 4GB. I switched the 8GB S mode off, but left it on on the 4GB model.

I was able to install all updates on the 8 GB model without issues, but the cumulative update for the 4GB model failed repeatedly after more than a dozen tries. It downloads, and the install reaches 100% and tells me a restart is required. I restart, and it tells me the update failed. I tried a fresh install, and still got the same problems.

Has anyone else had this issue?

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, HeyCori.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the update, and it still failed. I have also done a fresh install of Windows, and the update continues to fail. I have run the troubleshooter, and it simply says it failed to identify the problem.

Has anyone else with the 4GB successfully installed the cumulative update, or had similar problems with it failing? (This is KB4340917.) I would be eager to hear how others with the 4GB Go have faired with this update.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A few other things you can try:

1. Manually download and install the update

Microsoft Update Catalog

2. Clean Windows update files (instructions at the link). In fact, if a manual install doesn't work, you may want to try this and then try to manually install.

https://howtofixwindows.com/windows-10-update-failed-to-install-version-1803/

3. And if all else fails, you can use Microsoft's "Show or hide updates" tool to hide the update so it doesn't keep coming up.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

Looking at the release notes, there's nothing truly critical in there and there are no security updates in it. You can likely skip over it and never notice the difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss