Go or Pro?

Kida66

Aug 6, 2018
Visit site
Hello All,

So I bought my surface go (8gb / 128 ssd) about a week ago and have been having a great experience with it so far. Been using it a lot at work as a 2nd companion device to my desk top which is painfully slow. I use the surface a lot for web tabs, excel, slack and notes. So far it’s been able to handle everything I’ve thrown at it (well except steam). There are a few things that I don’t like and having a hard time getting past. For one, the battery life is painful. I’m getting 5 hours max on battery saver settings. The usb c port will not charge the surface unless it’s a high wattage charger. I’m also having a hard time getting past those giant bezels..lol. With all that said I don’t have a main computer and at the moment the surface go is all I have when not at work.

After spending $800 plus for the go and all the accessories I’m really close to the price of a pro with an i5 and 8gb ram. I guess I’m trying to decide if I should maybe spend a little more for a pro or stick it out with the go. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
For me, size (as long as performance is acceptable) is the deciding factor for the Go. I have a Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 and both are too big for my needs.

You’ll get more performance out of the Pro. If the tiny size of the Go isn’t a strong selling point for you, you may be happier with a Pro.

Kida66

Aug 6, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback LibbyLA! I do like the small form factor of the go. When using the go as a tablet it’s much more comfortable then the pro. Overall I don’t feel like the pro is that much larger and find it just as portable. I just want to make sure for the $ I’m spending I have a machine that will be able to keep up for the next few years.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
My rule of thumb is don’t spent more on tech than you can afford to throw away in two years. Anything over two years, I consider to be fantastic. Back in the early days of computers, I bought a new computer every year because they just weren’t fast enough, even from generation to generation. Thank goodness those days are long gone. I’ve gone over three years between purchasing my Surface 3 and getting my Go. In about two years’ time, I bought a Toshiba Portege Z30, a Dell Venue 8 Pro, a Surface Pro 3, and then the Surface 3. All have served me just fine, but the Go is my “sweet spot” for computer size.

Once I confirm that the Go works for me in my classroom, the other four computers will be finding new homes.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd almost recommend the Pro if just for piece of mind. I've been there before and the last thing you want is to think you made a mistake every time you pick up your device.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If you wanted battery life, the core m would make a lot more sense (it's got even less TDP than the Pentium, so it's battery life should be huge).

I've heard 6-7 from some people using the go, so perhaps you could look at what software or services are draining your battery life, before spending more money on hardware?

Also worth considering a few battery care things, not to assume you don't know them, but despite the commonness of lithium batteries, few do. Always charge to full. Give it some extra charge beyond 100 once in awhile, especially when you first get the device. Don't discharge beyond 15 percent. Try to avoid discharge whilst charging.
Of course, the more obvious stuff like turning off Bluetooth if you aren't using it.

Last edited:

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Pro 4 and Go, both have 8GB, to be honest, the Go feels pretty close to the performance of the Pro 4, I live in Southern California and don't have air-con, so my Pro 4 is always warm and always has the fan running, so it's nice to have a bit of quiet. The Go screen is at least as good, and being so sharp it's much better at higher resolutions than my other 10" tablets, meaning it's less of a penalty having the smaller screen.

I don't think there's a lot of battery life difference between the two devices, so I'd imagine the new Surface Pro, would be a little better.

Personally if you travel a lot, there's little penalty on the Go, but if not a lot of the advantages are lost. Initially I'm going to use my Go without a keyboard, I'll see how I get on with a standard small keyboard. I've no doubt I'll end up with a keyboard cover, but I object to spending that much.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
In about two years’ time, I bought a Toshiba Portege Z30, a Dell Venue 8 Pro, a Surface Pro 3, and then the Surface 3.

Are you me? I purchased my first 8" WinTab Acer Iconia W3 in 2013, then moved to Dell Venue 8 Pro, Then finally a Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, then down-graded to a Surface 3 (didn't like Pro form factor for tablet use) and once I saw the Surface Go announcement, sold my Surface 3 immediately and now have Surface Go :excited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3