Plan to buy Go

demhyt

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
Hi All

Sorry if my post already posted here somewhere....I plan to buy surface go next month, Go will become my secondary device...from I read here and some other forums many people complain about battery life after switched out from S mode, I dont know if this is only on some batch or every Go have problem like that...I'm long time mac users I have MB pro 2014 and 2016 13" inch and the battery life from full charge to 10% still easily around 8-9 hours with my work daily usage is coding, web browsing, office apps, spotify, using terminal / ssh for my work, google drive and onedrive in background sync...Surface Go meet my requirements with 10" inch display I need small portable device and I dont wanna use ipad pro because I need wired / ethernet connection and thats dealbreaker for me so I hope Surface Go will work perfectly with my Dell USB-C dongle..So my concern is about battery life, I'm okay with 6-7 hours battery life but if the battery below 6 hours maybe I will thinking twice about buy surface go and I plan to upgrade using win10 Pro because I need to join my company domain and using bitlocker because that's my company policy so maybe anyone have experience please help me, thank you

Last edited:

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
The device comes with the drive already encrypted (required for S0iX) - the battery life issue typically comes from installing Win32 applications that use TSR components that use CPU resources. Typical culprits are Security Suites, Chrome, Any Sync Client (Dropbox, etc.), many Adobe Products that have updaters, license checkers, Realtime Chat-clients...

Staying in S Mode prevents these installs so in theory you will see batter battery life...

gartenspartan

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The device comes with the drive already encrypted (required for S0iX) - the battery life issue typically comes from installing Win32 applications that use TSR components that use CPU resources. Typical culprits are Security Suites, Chrome, Any Sync Client (Dropbox, etc.), many Adobe Products that have updaters, license checkers, Realtime Chat-clients...

Staying in S Mode prevents these installs so in theory you will see batter battery life...

I'm honestly not able to get more than 5 hours per charge on S mode at medium brightness and better battery settings. Mostly web browsing, Netflix, email and light office use. All media consumption usage with the store apps and not through the browser. It's been a struggle figuring out how to last a whole work day.

demhyt

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
I've been hearing those same complaints about the battery. Yes I do believe its under 6 hours.

yeah I heard that :( ...

I'm not use design / drawing program and definetely not chrome because chrome always hogging my resources...Every my work files on onedrive and google drive but I cant find official google drive on microsoft store that's very unfortunate....thank you for your input

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm honestly not able to get more than 5 hours per charge on S mode at medium brightness and better battery settings. Mostly web browsing, Netflix, email and light office use. All media consumption usage with the store apps and not through the browser. It's been a struggle figuring out how to last a whole work day.

I'm getting 7-9 hours of use, but my use case is using the Go for work and browsing -

• Windows 10 Mail and Calendar
  • OneNote UWP for notes and inking
  • DrawboardPDF for annotating PDFs
  • Office Mobile (using the mobile version for battery savings)
  • Edge for browsing

demhyt

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site

Seriously?...seems so bad or maybe office hogging the resources?

I'm getting 7-9 hours of use, but my use case is using the Go for work and browsing -

• Windows 10 Mail and Calendar
  • OneNote UWP for notes and inking
  • DrawboardPDF for annotating PDFs
  • Office Mobile (using the mobile version for battery savings)
  • Edge for browsing

Are you switching out the S mode?...I'm sorry but you use onedrive for sync files?, I need onedrive so badly because in macos onedrive dont have files on demand feature and thats terrible because my disk almost run out...thank you before

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Whether the internet/wifi chip is being used probably makes a decent impact on battery life. Like when I stream a movie through netflix etc it also relatively eats away my 2-1's battery while nothing else runs in the background and the screen reso is hull hd (proc is a m core). While Office usage is at 10-12 hours with screen fairly dimmed, with only windows (& office update) stuff running in the background.

The battery of the Go recharges fast though iirc from watching reviews. And you can also recharge through usb c. A powerbank could therefore also be a solution, there are some good deals and since the Go's battery is not that big for a windows device you don't need an absurdly big power bank.

Last edited:

KJones75

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
The battery of the Go recharges fast though iirc from watching reviews. And you can also recharge through usb c. A powerbank could therefore also be a solution, there are some good deals and since the Go's battery is not that big for a windows device you don't need an absurdly big power bank.

While you can charge using USB-C, I find it quite slow.

I've also seen my battery continue to drain (although more slowly) even when plugged into USB-C (I think I was only watching YouTube at the time).

It probably depends on the charger though. I was using a USB-C cable plugged into a 2amp USB port that is built into the surge protector at my desk. I also tried the fast charger that came with my Samsung Note 5, but it still charged the Go slowly (at least while it was being used).

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Seriously?...seems so bad or maybe office hogging the resources?

Are you switching out the S mode?...I'm sorry but you use onedrive for sync files?, I need onedrive so badly because in macos onedrive dont have files on demand feature and thats terrible because my disk almost run out...thank you before

Nope - Using Windows 10 Pro in S Mode...I use the native OneDrive Client just like I do on my SB2...

demhyt

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
Nope - Using Windows 10 Pro in S Mode...I use the native OneDrive Client just like I do on my SB2...

So we can upgrade to windows 10 pro without leave S mode?...that's nice because if possible I want full experience using surface go...thank you again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3