10-16-2018 07:35 AM
57 123
tools
    Win10: I like the start menu (I set it as fullscreen)
    Wow, I'm not the only one. I actually much prefer the start screen on all my devices, desktops too. Really happy that it's an option, and actually has a lot of nice inclusions such as the sidebar with is customisable.
    10-13-2018 03:56 AM
    I wouldn't say that the Windows tablet mode experience is awful. I still use my Acer W4-820 as my daily driver tablet and will continue to do so until it fails.

I did turn custom scaring on at 150% to make things larger than they are in default mode.

The on screen keyboard is substantially better than android's stock keyboard and slightly better than the one Apple provides with iOS. It is nearly on par with the old Blackberry/Swidtkey onscreen keyboard which was the best one ever developed.
    10-13-2018 07:32 AM

The on screen keyboard is substantially better than android's stock keyboard and slightly better than the one Apple provides with iOS.
    I assume/hope that you refer to eg word recognition/autocorrect rather than general usability. Because that sucks big time:

KB showing instantly when tapping input field: iOS yes, W10Tablet:not always. WTF.
    KB overlaying input fields: iOS never, W10 often. A nightmare. Try eg Telegram.
    KB disappearing when Text input finished: iOS always, W10 sometimes not. Could live with that, if it was the only bug (calling these things bugs intentionally).

This whole W10 tablet experience is such a mess, compared to iOS, with the keyboard being responsible for that to a high degree.

I’ve been trying hard to get used to my Surface Go over the last 3 weeks or so, as a replacement for my iPad, because I would need/want the bigger freedom that W10 offers, but it just drives me crazy, how clumsy the experience is, compared to the iPad. Even a (supposedly) better word recognition does not help imho.

Admittedly, with a type cover attached, the Surface (Go) experience is much better. But as a tablet - oh my god.
    Gayle Lynn likes this.
    10-13-2018 08:25 AM
    KB overlaying input fields: iOS never, W10 often. A nightmare. Try eg Telegram.
    , and did you notify Telegram about it? Cause that sounds like sites like Telegram are to lazy to fix their website for Windows touchscreen devices. I feel that while Microsoft definitely deserves some criticism, a big part of these faults also comes from developers, e.g. Steam to give an example that still has not added any touchscreen support to their app. I mean how difficult is that for a company that makes so much profit? And there has been a very long thread about it dating at least a year back, so they do know about it. Sames goes for Firefox, wonderful browser but selecting text is just so broken and has been for a while now.
    10-15-2018 03:13 PM
    , and did you notify Telegram about it? Cause that sounds like sites like Telegram are to lazy to fix their website for Windows touchscreen devices. I feel that while Microsoft definitely deserves some criticism, a big part of these faults also comes from developers, e.g. Steam to give an example that still has not added any touchscreen support to their app. I mean how difficult is that for a company that makes so much profit? And there has been a very long thread about it dating at least a year back, so they do know about it. Sames goes for Firefox, wonderful browser but selecting text is just so broken and has been for a while now.
    Why would I notify Telegram about something that is clearly an opsys issue? Telegram works fine on all other supported platforms. On touchscreen devices, it is the responsibility of the operating system to push the active input field to a position above the onscreen keyboard, as soon as it appears.
    And, why does this problem occur so often on a W10 device, never under iOS? ALL apps being misdesigned on W10, ALL apps good on iOS? Nah.
    P.S. even during the Windows setup process, some (Microsoft-) input fields were overlaid by the on screen keyboard on my Go.
    10-15-2018 04:05 PM
    P.P.S. re-reading your post, I found that you mentioned "websites".
    I did not speak about websites (although this also happens there). I spoke about apps and the W10 keyboard overlaying input fields. Telegram being one of them.
    10-15-2018 04:12 PM
    Why would I notify Telegram about something that is clearly an opsys issue? Telegram works fine on all other supported platforms. On touchscreen devices, it is the responsibility of the operating system to push the active input field to a position above the onscreen keyboard, as soon as it appears.
    And, why does this problem occur so often on a W10 device, never under iOS? ALL apps being misdesigned on W10, ALL apps good on iOS? Nah.
    P.S. even during the Windows setup process, some (Microsoft-) input fields were overlaid by the on screen keyboard on my Go.
    , fair enough, OSK is indeed wonky sometimes. I was a bit to hasty to lay the blame on telegram.
    gnirkatto likes this.
    10-16-2018 07:35 AM
57 123