How are you enjoying your "Go"

cknobman

Banned
Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
So far enjoying my GO.

I tried Chrome but quickly uninstalled it as the experience was terrible.

Edge generally works great and I only experience stutter on sites that try to kill you with adds.

I use a modified hosts files that gets rid of 99% of adds and that helps. This technique is undeteticble and works amazing. https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/
Being able to do things like this is precisely why I bought this machine to replace my Galaxy Tab S2.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So far enjoying my GO.

I tried Chrome but quickly uninstalled it as the experience was terrible.

Edge generally works great and I only experience stutter on sites that try to kill you with adds.

Have you tried Firefox Quantum? It works fairly well on my Go.

I also modified my host file though I'm sure my list is dated at this point. But between the host file and the ad blocker, web browsing is sooooo much faster.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I have been using a 4GB for a month or so, but was always curious how good the 8gb model was. Well, picked up an 8gb (and will sell my 4gb), and so far it is really good. I definitely notice the difference.

Gayle Lynn

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
You can change battery use or when plugged in to favor performance or not. Chrome has been fine, few extensions but definitely using Adblock. This on 4/64 which I regret buying. Installing programs and updates is slow. My SL2 flies. Just wish they’d have used an i5 7th gen Intel cpu.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm feeling a bit of 'buyer's remorse' after purchasing the GO with only 4 G of RAM. I bought my first ATARI computer in 1985, and since then, have purchased many more PCs, pagers, phones, tablets etc, and...for only the second time, am suffering from 'buyer's remorse'. This little machine just can't keep up, with its 4 G of RAM. My Task Manager shows that when i've got 4 or 5 Edge tabs open, a Word doc, and Spotify playing...i'm maxing out my RAM, red lining at 95-100%. The music keeps glitching while i'm working; it just can't handle my normal routine. Is there any way i can upgrade the RAM on this thing? Can I trade in to the Microsoft store? (I tried going to their Chat assistant for help, but it's 'closed'...)

hank0

May 5, 2019
Visit site
Just bought one in Canada for $375 USD as Costco is clearing them out. This is the 4GB/128GB SSD and includes the Surface Type KB.

I've had it for two weeks and surprised with the performance. I use Google Suite of products and use Chrome. Memory is at 60% and don't notice any lag. I do run the screen a bit brighter and getting around 4-5 hours but could add another hour or two if I run the screen a bit dimmer. Screen brightness is impressive. Audio is great. Weight is excellent. Kickstand is the best. Charges up fast with the included charger. Would say it is "passable" as a pure tablet but do think IOS and Android leads in that space.

I did hook it up a 3440x1440 with a generic USBC hub with HDMI. Works well. I did stream TWITCH at full resolution for a bit and it eventually stuttered after 15 min but for normal use, is more than adequate.

This tablet is not for everyone but if it fits within a specific use case, works very well. Not sure if I would give it 5 out of 5 stars but a solid 4 for sure. It will function well as a second computer.

I'm happy with the purchase at for $375 USD. I'm not sure if there is anything that can compete at this price point. (Note: I did have an ASUS E406MA which worked very well and had phenomenal battery life but its hard to overlook the Surface Go with its portability and lower price point in my case).

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Just bought one in Canada for $375 USD as Costco is clearing them out. This is the 4GB/128GB SSD and includes the Surface Type KB.

I've had it for two weeks and surprised with the performance. I use Google Suite of products and use Chrome. Memory is at 60% and don't notice any lag. I do run the screen a bit brighter and getting around 4-5 hours but could add another hour or two if I run the screen a bit dimmer. Screen brightness is impressive. Audio is great. Weight is excellent. Kickstand is the best. Charges up fast with the included charger. Would say it is "passable" as a pure tablet but do think IOS and Android leads in that space.

I did hook it up a 3440x1440 with a generic USBC hub with HDMI. Works well. I did stream TWITCH at full resolution for a bit and it eventually stuttered after 15 min but for normal use, is more than adequate.

This tablet is not for everyone but if it fits within a specific use case, works very well. Not sure if I would give it 5 out of 5 stars but a solid 4 for sure. It will function well as a second computer.

I'm happy with the purchase at for $375 USD. I'm not sure if there is anything that can compete at this price point. (Note: I did have an ASUS E406MA which worked very well and had phenomenal battery life but its hard to overlook the Surface Go with its portability and lower price point in my case).

How does your memory run at only 60%? With by Chrome tabs open, and just sitting idle, i'm at 80-85%. That's doing nothing....as soon as i start using Chrome...boom - i'm up to 90%. Open a Word doc, turn on some music, and i'm maxing this thing out....not happy:(

Reinaldo Versuri

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
How does your memory run at only 60%? With by Chrome tabs open, and just sitting idle, i'm at 80-85%. That's doing nothing....as soon as i start using Chrome...boom - i'm up to 90%. Open a Word doc, turn on some music, and i'm maxing this thing out....not happy:(

I'm using Vivaldi browser and I'm very happy.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Can also suggest to use Opera. I've got a Surface 3 (atom version) and it struggles at times, opera has been the only browser that runs reasonably well. Even edge got a bit glitchy, while Opera scrolls smoothly.

Reinaldo Versuri

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
Can also suggest to use Opera. I've got a Surface 3 (atom version) and it struggles at times, opera has been the only browser that runs reasonably well. Even edge got a bit glitchy, while Opera scrolls smoothly.

Opera works well for the touch gestures? I have issues to use the Google Maps on Opera, the gestures are not smoothly.

hank0

May 5, 2019
Visit site

I'm running a pretty clean OS. I'm usually at 60% with 2 to 3 Chrome windows open. I only use Google Apps and I'm never even close to 100%. If you have very simple needs, then the Surface Go is right for you. I've never had any lag at all and surprised at the performance. I really am impressed with the audio.

Capture.PNG

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm still loving my Go. It's become my go-to (no pun intended) device for everyday computing. I often us it at work where the small use, and relatively good processor, allows me to be extra mobile. But... I am taking a break on the type cover. It's just a little too small and too flimsy. I can type well enough on it, but I'm guaranteed to make several typing mistakes. The time I spend fixing errors distracts from my productivity. Worse yet, I even type slower on it just to avoid making more mistakes. The type cover isn't bad (it's really good) but my hands are just a little too big. I've switched over to an older HP bluetooth mobile keyboard that I've had for years. (the K4000) And because I'm being cheap, I hacked the extra Apple Magic Trackpad in our office to work on the Go. Granted, I don't have to use it often because I have the Surface Pen.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
So update on my Surface Go 8gb/128GB model. So I've done everything I usually do and a little more just to test it out. Productivity tasks are no problem (word, excel, ppt, browser work, email, ect). I did do a few videos in 1080P mixed with music and several cuts inserted. The final render took a little bit but overall for small YouTube videos or family videos it worked just fine. Very happy with the purchase and the tablet experience has gotten much improved on Windows 10. Oh and I accidentally tested the durability by dropping it. Chipped top right corner but no screen damage or internal issues. Awesome product looking forward to the next iteration.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a Go a couple weeks ago to replace my ancient ASUS laptop. It's a fine device and is now my only pc. The screen is great the type cover is good too, considering the size.

However it's not my go-to device. I basically got it be be that Toyota 4x2 pickup that you need for the occasional trip to home depot. 90% of the time I'm just using my ipad or phone. Glad I found one used for $300 with type cover and pen.

MasterDarque

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
How are you enjoying your "Go"

I haven’t ‘enjoyed’ my Go since this past January... when I tried to update it and the update failed. I somehow was able to update to the 1803 build last fall before it was pulled, then when I tried updating in January (that included a firmware update) something got lost in translation, and I got the recovery screen. Unfortunately, I foolishly deleted the Windows 10 recovery folder/partition (in order to free up space on the SSD) and now have to download the image file. I don’t have home internet yet (yeah, I’m pretty much a dinosaur), so I haven’t really made it a priority yet to get this resolved vis-a-vis contacting Microsoft (either via web, or mailed USB). Lesson learned is stupid is as stupid does. DON’T ever delete the recovery files (if you don’t fully know what you’re doing) as I did. I’ll try to get this straightened out before the end of the year.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I have an old surface 3.. couldn't update for months until someone! (can't remember who it was, my apologies to him) advise me to remove my SD first. And it worked.
Hope that helps.. Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)