How are you enjoying your "Go"

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Go has become my go to device at home. I haven't needed my laptop in about a week. I even grabbed my artist glove so it's easier to use the pen. And with my Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, it's quite the hardy work device. 20180820_134114.jpg

Edit:

And yes that's an Apple monitor in the background! :evil:

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's official, the Go doesn't love my glasses (and I know it varies from glass types). But it works fine if I tilt my glasses slightly forward or take them off.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Mine scanned me first with my glasses on and then without. I’m tall so I have to scrunch down a bit but it seems to be doing pretty well. I didn’t think I’d like the camera login but I’m pleasantly surprised.

ChrisWiss76

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
Email, web browsing, media entertainment, note taking and doodling, I have not opened my Lenovo T470 since day 1 of turning on my GO.... (bought it on release date)

zigg8272

Aug 11, 2018
Visit site
I love mine now, I bought the 4gb model and had major issues with it. the 8GB is the way to go even for light tasks. the only app that sucks is iTunes. debating on getting pen and dial.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my Go 4gb. I still think it's a bit expensive, once you add the keyboard especially, but it's a high quality device. Plus, I was able to pick up a flawless open box model from BestBuy for $342 and $111 for the alacantra keyboard. I've been using it for the past 48 hours as my primary device and it seems to do almost everything I want. I have been playing cuphead with no issues with an Xbox one controller. Also downloaded Chrome. I think Edge actually works better, so I've defaulted back to it (with uBlock active). I was replacing a Chromebook, which I loved, but it was the quality that convinced me to give the Surface Go a go...glad I did (so far)!

An update to be honest and clear: I ended up returning the Go and purchasing another Chromebook. It was a decent machine, but I have become pretty reliant/preferring of the Google ecosystem, and I wasn't pleased with Chrome (or Edge running Google Sheets) on the Go. Given that the Google apps were one of my desired uses, I couldn't shake the thought of paying $453 for a device that didn't accomplish that use as well as a $200-$300 Chromebook. Overall, a Chromebook suited MY NEEDS better that the Go; but I am sure that is not the case with everyone.

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my (8GB) Go in earnest for a couple of days. Normally I use an old Dell XPS 15" i7 L521 for my work when traveling or a Surface Pro 4 - depending on the kind of work I'm doing. So I thought lets see if I can use the Go to replace the Dell.

This means I need to run Office, Visual Studio and SQL Server, in addition to configuring and setting up Windows CE 6.0 devices, so a real test for modern hardware.

Firstly the SQL Server isn't running a big database, simply an asset manager I wrote in C#, so not a huge OLTP, it does mean I usually have 10 or so tabs open in SQL management studio, as well as the C# application running. Neither feel noticeably different to the Dell, perhaps a little slower in opening, but once running, fine. At no point did I even think about the fact I wasn't using the normal machine.

Configuring the Windows CE 6.0 device, that required some updates, because windows 10 doesn't like them, once done the process was flawless and absolutely no different to my usual hardware, I tend to take images of all devices, which involves saving the image to OneDrive, this process gives a time taken, so is handy for measuring performance, here I saw absolutely no difference in performance - I'm very pleased with this because this is a job I need to do on customer sites, so flying with the Go would really help.

Loading and reading emails in Outlook is as fast as you'd expect, everything is down to the network connection, so not an issue for the Go. I opened Excel spreadsheets and again no issues. You really can't tell it's not a more powerful machine.

My final job is configuring routers and access points via their web interface, I didn't expect issue, and I didn't have any. Typically for this I have Wi-Fi connected to my home network and an ethernet connection to the router.

In all this I've been using the device at 125% scaling, which is (for me) the best compromise over resolution and readability, I found this to be perfect, even though it's a lot smaller than the 15" laptop, I had no problems working and this scaling still gives enough screen space for the likes of Visual Studio.

Perhaps my biggest problem, is connecting the thing to ethernet, I've got lots of usb to ethernet connctors, but none with USB-C, so a quick order from Amazon and I've got an Anker USB-C to USB3 adapter - I went for the Anker because the metal body. This works fine with my Go, I've got a Nintendo Switch USB ethernet, a UGREEN one and I bought an Anker at the same time as the adapter (removable cable makes it much safer for travelling), the latter two having USB ports, interestingly the Anker treats it as USB3 but the UGreen as USB2.

All in all I'm quite impressed, it does leave me wondering if the 4GB model would have been as good, but finally I have a light replacement for my laptop, I'm off to Fry's later to pick up a USB-C battery pack, so I'll be testing that later, if I can get a transatlantic flight watching movies and TV shows, then I'll have found my perfect machine.

I reckon I'm getting 5-6 hours battery life doing this work - I deliberately ran without power just to see how it goes, which is a little disappointing and a bit less than the Pro 4, but livable especially if an external battery pack works out.

Interestingly enough I've been trying to find a truly portable system, but always hit issues, this is the first time I actually have everything I need in one device that's light. There's been a long line of different devices that never quite lived up to the starting with an Acer CULV (too low resolution but performance ok), cheap 8" tablet (too slow, 32GB not enough storage, couldn't charge and use USB), Dell 10" early tablet (felt sluggish, storage again limited), Dell Venue Pro 10" (the first device that came up to scratch but still a bit sluggish and heavy). Each time I ended up back at the XPS (or whatever I was using at the time). The Surface Pro 4 would have easily coped but it's not configured for this work, so wasn't an option.

There is one last thing I need to try, one aspect of my job is doing Wi-Fi surveys of large buildings, the Dell, struggles on battery life, I need to try the Go for this, especially with a pen to mark spots on the building map, but the messing around with cables and adapters for USB, means I'm waiting on a nice long USB C cable to replace the Anker Ethernet/USB adapter cable, if this works then I can keep my special WiFi adapter safely tucked away rather than sticking precariously out of the socket.

If the Wi-Fi surveying works, and I see no reason it wouldn't, the Go will become my perfect machine.

You would not believe how hard I've been searching trying to find the information you've outlined in this fantastic post, thank you.

I want to get a Go for a specific use case, I work in London as a software engineer and have an hour commute every day, an hour which i'd like to make use of doing some casual development. To do this I need a ultra portable device, which is able to run Visual Studio and VS Code, as well as SQL server. Now the Surface Go massively ticks the ultra portable box, but in terms of minimum requirements, it's only powerful enough for VS code (which I could live with), if it was a solid experience, problem is I have no way to prove it as outside of your post, information online has been very sparse.

My plan was to buy it and in the unfortunate event that it wasn't powerful enough to run visual studio return it, however John Lewis (UK) are saying there's no returns due to GDPR (this seems a bit off to me), which means I'd be going in blind, so posts like this one are extremely useful for me.

So for my benefit, I know you've outlined it in your post, but just to clarify further, you're happy having used both Visual Studio and Sql Management studio on your Go and would say the experience is good?

dsharp75

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
The good:
Excellent size, portability, full application support, Surface Pen, instant mouse support. I use the 128GB/8GB model with the burgundy keyboard, burgundy pen and burgundy arc mouse. Overall, a good experience. Continues the good Surface brand. Wise to not use Snapdragon for this version.
The bad:
UWP apps sometimes crash (edjing pro) while running, or crash without being able to reload (Movies + TV) without restarting the machine. Battery life isn't great, but isnt that bad.

Notes:
Almost everyone agrees the form factor is sweet. The price isn't ideal, especially since everything is extra (and not cheap either).
Now that the 8th gen Intel U/Y chips include integrated wifi and SnapDragon 1000 benchmarks are out, the next version will include better processors (or a choice!), LTE (or better yet 5G!) out of the box.

aknotts66

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I really liked my Surface go at first but 1 thing is making me return it. Battery Life. Battery life is very dissapointing. I'm not even doing anything extreme, just edge(reddit and youtube and twitter) on suggested brightness and I can see the % trickle down. 20 minutes equals 10%. That's ridiculous. I know its rated at 9 hours but its really like 4. This is also with Battery saver slider all the way to the left to save the most power. I feel like to get decent battery life i have to handicap the whole use case for this tablet. I can't imagine how it would be if I did something more intensive. I know I can get a battery pack or plug it in but I want to use it more on the go and as a tablet and I dont want to be tethered constantly with a cord or brick for a $650 device(550+100 type cover). The Battery life and size is inexcusable. They messed up there because the device is brilliant in every way besides maybe tablet UI is meh(but not a deal breaker by any means). The screen, premium feel, speakers is all there. The battery life for me is such a disappointment. here's hoping the Go 2 is better.

mongo46

May 22, 2016
Visit site
In a strange twist of fate, about the time I decided to order my Go, our home PC died. hmmm... this doesn't bode well. I did receive the GO just before we left on our family vacation. I had to take my Surface 4 for work (configured) but this would be my 'toy'. I left my IPAD at home, loaded up some videos, music, apps, games and have enjoyed it since.
The keyboard is a bit cramped for me. There is the occasional mis-type but I haven't used it too much - but for longer text... like this review it does come in handy.
Battery length is ok. I wish I could get 7-9 hours but I have wi-fi and bluetooth on all the time as well as usually a background VPN as I move around.
Haven't worked too much in more demanding (Office) environments - yet- but that will change shortly. As it is, you can tell the power (lack there of) with certain games (flash based). Some games move to a crawl. Almost netbook like. Other than that, I find this quite responsive.
Two observations, Hello in portrait mode does not work as well as in landscape. Also, according to manufacturer, I should be able to go into wi-fi adapter settings and specify 5G only but even with latest driver update, I'm not seeing that option. The only way I can take advantage of higher speed wifi at home is to change the wifi search/sensitivity to 1 or 2, rather than the default 3.
Haven't used the pen much - I moved the pen from the Surface 4 (which I rarely use) to this device but the magnets on the side don't seem as strong as I would like it. A couple of times the pen has come loose and came crashing down.
The only other caveat are .. apps. Still a ghost town. There's not a lot I want, but just a couple of common games found in Apple/Android that are n'er to found in Windows. But yes, not a cheap device and one that I may not have purchased if I didn't have some extra money, but glad I did.

Random1Planet

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
It seems to perform better than my XPS 13 2in1 that will soon be going on eBay as the pen experience and performance are so much better. This is the perfect device for meetings and notes and means I can now get the xps 15 instead of having a compromised device trying to be two things, but not doing either very well. I love my Surface Go.

anon(5348220)

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my (8GB) Go in earnest for a couple of days. Normally I use an old Dell XPS 15" i7 L521 for my work when traveling or a Surface Pro 4 - depending on the kind of work I'm doing. So I thought lets see if I can use the Go to replace the Dell.

This means I need to run Office, Visual Studio and SQL Server, in addition to configuring and setting up Windows CE 6.0 devices, so a real test for modern hardware.

Firstly the SQL Server isn't running a big database, simply an asset manager I wrote in C#, so not a huge OLTP, it does mean I usually have 10 or so tabs open in SQL management studio, as well as the C# application running. Neither feel noticeably different to the Dell, perhaps a little slower in opening, but once running, fine. At no point did I even think about the fact I wasn't using the normal machine.

Configuring the Windows CE 6.0 device, that required some updates, because windows 10 doesn't like them, once done the process was flawless and absolutely no different to my usual hardware, I tend to take images of all devices, which involves saving the image to OneDrive, this process gives a time taken, so is handy for measuring performance, here I saw absolutely no difference in performance - I'm very pleased with this because this is a job I need to do on customer sites, so flying with the Go would really help.

Loading and reading emails in Outlook is as fast as you'd expect, everything is down to the network connection, so not an issue for the Go. I opened Excel spreadsheets and again no issues. You really can't tell it's not a more powerful machine.

My final job is configuring routers and access points via their web interface, I didn't expect issue, and I didn't have any. Typically for this I have Wi-Fi connected to my home network and an ethernet connection to the router.

In all this I've been using the device at 125% scaling, which is (for me) the best compromise over resolution and readability, I found this to be perfect, even though it's a lot smaller than the 15" laptop, I had no problems working and this scaling still gives enough screen space for the likes of Visual Studio.

Perhaps my biggest problem, is connecting the thing to ethernet, I've got lots of usb to ethernet connctors, but none with USB-C, so a quick order from Amazon and I've got an Anker USB-C to USB3 adapter - I went for the Anker because the metal body. This works fine with my Go, I've got a Nintendo Switch USB ethernet, a UGREEN one and I bought an Anker at the same time as the adapter (removable cable makes it much safer for travelling), the latter two having USB ports, interestingly the Anker treats it as USB3 but the UGreen as USB2.

All in all I'm quite impressed, it does leave me wondering if the 4GB model would have been as good, but finally I have a light replacement for my laptop, I'm off to Fry's later to pick up a USB-C battery pack, so I'll be testing that later, if I can get a transatlantic flight watching movies and TV shows, then I'll have found my perfect machine.

I reckon I'm getting 5-6 hours battery life doing this work - I deliberately ran without power just to see how it goes, which is a little disappointing and a bit less than the Pro 4, but livable especially if an external battery pack works out.

Interestingly enough I've been trying to find a truly portable system, but always hit issues, this is the first time I actually have everything I need in one device that's light. There's been a long line of different devices that never quite lived up to the starting with an Acer CULV (too low resolution but performance ok), cheap 8" tablet (too slow, 32GB not enough storage, couldn't charge and use USB), Dell 10" early tablet (felt sluggish, storage again limited), Dell Venue Pro 10" (the first device that came up to scratch but still a bit sluggish and heavy). Each time I ended up back at the XPS (or whatever I was using at the time). The Surface Pro 4 would have easily coped but it's not configured for this work, so wasn't an option.

There is one last thing I need to try, one aspect of my job is doing Wi-Fi surveys of large buildings, the Dell, struggles on battery life, I need to try the Go for this, especially with a pen to mark spots on the building map, but the messing around with cables and adapters for USB, means I'm waiting on a nice long USB C cable to replace the Anker Ethernet/USB adapter cable, if this works then I can keep my special WiFi adapter safely tucked away rather than sticking precariously out of the socket.

If the Wi-Fi surveying works, and I see no reason it wouldn't, the Go will become my perfect machine.

Note if you are running SQL Server, it will eat away all your memory eventually. You want to set the max memory limit using sp_configure. Unless you are just referring to SQL client.

aknotts66

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Maybe the battery life will improve after a few days? Could be setup using more power?

Nah. This is after 2 weeks. Battery life in general on the Go is just Okay. I read the stories of how Surface products have a little inflated battery numbers and I know it depends on each persons use case but I never exected half the number they said "9". If it was closer to 7 id be happy but using it it drops way to fast just using twitter, Youtube in edge and reddit in edge. I never attempted to install chrome because everyone said it was a bad idea though I do prefer edge. Now I would reconsider if microsoft came out with a Power Type Cover like they had in the old days but I don't think they will. I did score a Pixelbook with googles extended preferred care 2 year warranty and the pixelbook sleeve in excellent condition for only $626 and I could not be happier. Been using them both that last couple days and The pixelbook is great, my big gripe is speakers are in the keyboard so in tablet mode they face the other way. If battery life is better on the go they are both on par, which says alot for the go since its $550 and the Pixelbook came out at $1,000.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Been using my Go for the pen mainly, for drawing and notetaking, and it's been fantastic for both. Aside from that it's ran Minecraft and Shadowrun very well and the screen feels plenty big enough for it's office suite. Coming from the iPad Air I knew it would be up to scratch though.

SymoClod

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for a few days and so far really pleased with it. I needed something lighter and smaller and less expensive than a Surface Pro but that could run a couple of x86 apps. I run 2 businesses and I needed something with pen support that is very portable for use on site visits for notetaking and photos in occasionally unpleasant outdoor conditions and for use in a messy retail environment in the other business. I deal with sensitive data and bitlocker and additional encryption is a must. I have a SP4 but that is too large and expensive to risk dropping and I use that mainly as a desktop replacement with the Surface Dock. I also need to run Office, OneDrive for Business, a VOIP app and a cloud encryption app. I have been pleasantly surprised with how well this copes with everything and I only have the 4gb model.There is no discernible lag - even on boot up when One Drive is syncing a lot of files, it copes well.

Outside of working hours it has been getting a lot of use on the sofa (without all the work stuff running) for web browsing, emails and mounted on the wall in the kitchen where Cortana seems to work really well with the built-in mic for playing music through Bluetooth speakers and watching TV through a networked TV card.

As for battery life - it gets me through the day no problem although I am not using it constantly and have not tested it under constant use but it is better than anything I've had previously.

I'd considered getting the 2018 iPad with the pen before this was announced but, with the limitations of IOS and the fact that I already have a Surface Pen and a portable keyboard this has worked out cheaper and better for me. I have just bought a protective sleeve for a tenner. I'm glad this appeared in time as it is definitely a better option for my particular needs.

sant476

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I am converting from an iPad Pro because I cannot do any work on it, I bought the surface go 8gb and the surface pro i5 . I plan. on keeping one of them. This is meant to be a portable machine to travel with for a meeting, a day, or a week on the road and get work done, but I will still use it daily for various tasks. I feel like the Pro is faster and overall a step up, everything from battery to screen to speed but the go is much more portable I feel. I am not sure which one to keep as I keep going back and forth. I have a big 15 inch 16gb power lap top that is my home computer.
Does anyone prefer the Go to the Pro ...I would def keep the pro over it but the size is my deterrent but I don't want to get frustrated with a slower machine etc...I use internet, web, office and PDF pen edits a lot...love the pen features

Grey66

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Go has become my go to device at home. I haven't needed my laptop in about a week. I even grabbed my artist glove so it's easier to use the pen. And with my Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, it's quite the hardy work device. View attachment 139703

Edit:

And yes that's an Apple monitor in the background! :evil:

Hi, like the look of that keyboard, can you let me know the model/share a link please. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers