How are you enjoying your "Go"

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
ya...but I don't want to take it out. I've got my OneDrive folders on it...200 GB of pics, music and stuff. If I take it out and update the OS, then reinsert my sd card and then set the new OneDrive location back on the card, it will be messy, and probably duplicate all my files. Me and moving OneDrive locations don't get along, for some reason...

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I keep seeing articles about how good the GO is, and i'm just not seeing this. The 4 GB version is totally under powered. I really regret not getting the 8 GB version...when I try doing basic work, this machine just red lines and gets so bogged down...
Surface GO redlining.png

dexman335

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I enjoy using my Surface Go 8/128. It is my daily driver. I save the heavy lifting for my Surface Laptop.

The only downside for me is the diminutive battery. As others have noted the runtime isn't all that great...depending upon what tasks are being performed.

The last time I ran the battery report, 1/8/2020, it showed that the 26,128 mWh battery had a full charge capacity of 25,201 mWh after a cycle count of 238. The fcc tends to fluctuate and, at times, it has dropped into the mid to upper 24k mWh.

Outside of that, no problems. When the time does come for me to upgrade the Go, I'll likely bump up to the current Surface Pro.

Der Alte Fritz

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
I bought my Surface Go to work on my MA degree and specifically tailored it to tasks to do with that rather than turning it into a micro-laptop. So I got the 8Gb RAM 128GB HDD version and use it with a Type pad and a Pen.

The main programme to use with it as OneNote for note taking and work, DropBox app for file management, Chrome browser, Zotero citation manager, LibreOffice and a PDF reader. I have just downloaded MS Lens which is going to be a real help in libraries and archives in scanning documents.

The idea is to be able to sit in a lecture and make notes, record the lecture if necessary, study in a library using the rear camera to photo book pages, work on a train writing essays, download and read articles and books. Deliberately stayed away from email, office functions, etc to keep it optimised towards reading and note taking as those heavy weight functions are taken care of by my Dell XPS-13.

Found the Tablet mode difficult to use so just keep it set to normal mode but lock the screen in portrait aspect. Have a USB-C converter so that I can attach Pen drives to transfer material from other computers. Carry a set of small earphones so that I can listen to videos on those. I often use a compact camera in archives, so have bought a SD/micro SD converter, so that I can take pictures, remove the SD card from the camera, remove the micro-SD card from that and plug it into the Surface to transfer photos.

The ONE thing I have not managed to do is record lectures while taking notes. The front facing microphone does not do well. I bought a microphone/headset splitter and a very small microphone but cannot get it to work.

If anyone could suggest a make of splitter and of a small microphone so that I could record lectures on OneNOte I would be very grateful. Would also like to know the best way to connect to a display screen for making presentations.
cheers

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
My GO is totally messed up after the latest Windows update. My 2014 Yoga 2 pro works better...

You might have an issue with your GO. I've used mine under similar circumstances as you have shown in your screen shot with positive results. Might want to contact Microsoft. Also try to lessen the number tabs open with the 4GB version, might help some. Sorry for your poor experience but i assure you its not the norm for most users based on reviews.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
You might have an issue with your GO. I've used mine under similar circumstances as you have shown in your screen shot with positive results. Might want to contact Microsoft. Also try to lessen the number tabs open with the 4GB version, might help some. Sorry for your poor experience but i assure you its not the norm for most users based on reviews.

I finally ended up resetting my GO back into S mode, and I'm actually quite surprised how peppy and speedy it is now. It works way better in S mode! The battery life is still very poor by today's standards, but I'm quite happy that I can actually use it for some light work and have Spotify playing music in the background without any issues now. Happy! But...I'm hearing rumors about the impending death of the Store, and wonder how i'll move forward in S mode without the Store...

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I finally ended up resetting my GO back into S mode, and I'm actually quite surprised how peppy and speedy it is now. It works way better in S mode! The battery life is still very poor by today's standards, but I'm quite happy that I can actually use it for some light work and have Spotify playing music in the background without any issues now. Happy! But...I'm hearing rumors about the impending death of the Store, and wonder how i'll move forward in S mode without the Store...

I promise you "S mode" is not an issue. Did the upgrade on mine immediately without issue. Keep only needed tabs open to limit RAM usage since you only have 4gb. To increase battery life go to:

1. Settings > update/security > background apps.

Turn all the apps that aren't necessary to run in the background off. I disabled the majority of them leaving the audio, one drive, Windows defender, and Microsoft store on.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I promise you "S mode" is not an issue. Did the upgrade on mine immediately without issue. Keep only needed tabs open to limit RAM usage since you only have 4gb. To increase battery life go to:

1. Settings > update/security > background apps.

Turn all the apps that aren't necessary to run in the background off. I disabled the majority of them leaving the audio, one drive, Windows defender, and Microsoft store on.

Note: background apps is under the privacy category (at least it is under version 1909)

Paul Klipp

May 11, 2020
Visit site
I love the form factor and accessories, but the 4 GB version is almost useless for any but the most basic activities. I regret not getting the 8 GB, but I was too eager and the store only had the one option in stock.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I love the form factor and accessories, but the 4 GB version is almost useless for any but the most basic activities. I regret not getting the 8 GB, but I was too eager and the store only had the one option in stock.

With the Go 2 launching tomorrow, maybe now's the time to upgrade!

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I’m surprised that this is the first post about the Go 2 (or seems to be). Thank goodness the business hardware sales rep from the nearest MS store had my name on file and emailed me on announcement date! I’d already ordered a consumer version but cancelled because I didn’t want to go through the same nightmare upgrading to Win 10 Pro that I did for my original Go.

I got almost an 11% discount on the bundle including the 256G/LTE (probably don’t need that much storage or the LTE, but you can’t add them if you don’t get them in the first place and the cost was about $200 more), type cover, pen, and 2-year protection. I don’t know when it will ship because I still haven’t gotten the email that I need in order to pay.

I have used my original Go a lot, including to edit close captions on over 25 hours of video. I estimate that it took from 8-10 minutes to edit each minute of closed captions. The editing process is awful and tedious, but with the track pad on the Go keyboard, I could keep my hands on the keyboard to pause the video, edit, etc. It would have been far worse using a desktop computer and mouse.

I’m hoping the new mics will mean that I can use Teams and Zoom without needing to use a headset. I’m also hoping that the processor upgrade will mean that I can set a background for Zoom so the students don’t have to watch my ceiling fan.

I love my original Go, it’s worked perfectly for what I’ve wanted it for. I’m looking forward to the slightly larger screen (which will make a difference) and the faster processor although I haven’t had any slowdowns for what I use mine for.

I know these little Win tablets aren’t many people’s cup of tea, but when we go to our camp on the weekends, I haul a bunch of electronic toys (iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini 5, Kindle Oasis 1, older 8” Android tablet, phone, Go). I usually don’t need to use the Go but when I need it, it’s the only device I have that will work for that purpose. I don’t want anything bigger. Surface Pro 3 was too big, Surface 3 was too big, this is “just right” for my purposes.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
LibbyLA, usually the device forum is created as soon as the device is announced. I'm not sure why WC is taking so long to create a forum for the Go 2/Surface Book 3. Maybe they're planning a redesign?!?

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I figured that there might be some comments in this forum about it. Yours was the first one.

This evening, I got the link so I could pay my invoice but I have no idea when it might ship.

Casey Cheung

Jul 26, 2019
Visit site
I bought my first generation 8GB/128SSD Windows Go with the Alcantera keyboard some time last year at Best Buy. I'm still liking the Go, although it's not my main laptop for doing "serious" work. I find the Go a bit laggy compared to my full size Asus or Dell laptops for work related apps, but that's to be expected. Still, I like the Go for its small size and portability, I just wish it would be a bit speedier and with larger SSD storage. But for simple content consumption such as watching YouTube videos or web browser, the Go is more than sufficient for speed.

I recently added more functionality to my Go laptop by simply attaching a portable USB hub so I can now connect the Go screen to my external Philips 27" 4K monitor. This compact $19.99 Falwedi brand USB hub works well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3818175

Also recently got this powerful and portable Anker 20,000 mAh battery bank that can charge the Go laptop via the USB-C port. The charging seems a bit slow via the Go laptop USB-C port (versus the Go OEM charging cable) but it works: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2F6375622.p%3FskuId%3D6375622&token=iUjOulQU

Also installed the free Samsung DEX (Desktop Experience) Windows app so I can connect my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ smartphone to the Go laptop (via USB-C to USB-C cable) in order to mirror my phone apps to the Go laptop. Now I can use my Note 10+ smartphone apps on the larger Go screen. I would liken this to having a ChromeBook Android experience but without the extra cost of buying a ChromeBook. Here's a link to the DEX app: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ng.com%2Fus%2Fexplore%2Fdex%2F&token=uP-m6-87

For doing Zoom video conference meetings, I now have a choice of using 2 different external cameras as a webcam versus the one built into the Go laptop. I can choose to use the Logitech BRIO 4K webcam with its much better 4K image quality or use my Canon EOS M50 mirrorless camera with a Canon lens attached.
Here's the Logitech BRIO 4K webcam link: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2F5761912.p%3FskuId%3D5761912&token=LBth1hmJ
Here's the free Canon Webcam Utility app for using my Canon EOS camera as a webcam: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

From my initial impression of the 2nd generation Go laptop based on reviews I've seen, the incremental spec bump doesn't seem worthwhile for me to spend yet another several hundred dollars for an upgrade. So I will stick to my first generation Go laptop. Plus as mentioned, I have other full size laptops that I use for doing "serious" work. But the Go fits the bill for portability.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
That's awesome that so many of you on here are getting good use out of this device. My OG SG 8GB has been great ad well. Still using it to this day and the new Edge with PWA's has been a game changer. The device runs really well and the battery has held up well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett