A Must Buy for Business People on the GO

Computer Geek2

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
My history since the 1990’s with laptops and tablets for business is simple. Owned the first generation Panasonic toteable… frequent crashes and heavy….. traded it for an iPad….no mouse, no track pad, bad keyboards sold separately, MS Office needs a mouse and keyboard …bought a Yoga…everything great except the size – try showing a Power Point on a client’s messy desk with a 14” computer.

Then I purchased the Microsoft Surface Go with the works…128GB, Platinum Keyboard with matching Mouse and Pen. I had a C-Hub, which works with this unit.

The Go is the ultimate laptop for business people away from the office.
Working in a metropolitan area Wi-Fi is everywhere.

I not only show my Power Points, but multitask with windows word, excel and email with no lag. I use canned word business letters, insert names and addresses, insert excel pricing for quotes and email them as attached PDF files.

This is an excellent buy. Yep, you can purchase the Surface Pro for $100
more but you are back to form factor. I create web pages, work with Photo Shop and have the grand kids play games on my i7 desktop, which has peak performance.

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
My history since the 1990’s with laptops and tablets for business is simple. Owned the first generation Panasonic toteable… frequent crashes and heavy….. traded it for an iPad….no mouse, no track pad, bad keyboards sold separately, MS Office needs a mouse and keyboard …bought a Yoga…everything great except the size – try showing a Power Point on a client’s messy desk with a 14” computer.

Then I purchased the Microsoft Surface Go with the works…128GB, Platinum Keyboard with matching Mouse and Pen. I had a C-Hub, which works with this unit.

The Go is the ultimate laptop for business people away from the office.
Working in a metropolitan area Wi-Fi is everywhere.

I not only show my Power Points, but multitask with windows word, excel and email with no lag. I use canned word business letters, insert names and addresses, insert excel pricing for quotes and email them as attached PDF files.

This is an excellent buy. Yep, you can purchase the Surface Pro for $100
more but you are back to form factor. I create web pages, work with Photo Shop and have the grand kids play games on my i7 desktop, which has peak performance.

With respect, I could not disagree more. I know 3 people who purchased a Surface Go and 2/3 returned it shortly after. The bezels are huge and incredibly ugly and it boggles my mind why someone would purchase this when they could purchase a Pro for a little more. To me this product won't last - makes zero sense and has no real room in the marketplace. People who want a tablet will purchase an iPad, a percentage will also purchase one of the few worthy Android options out there. Nobody should purchase a Go, nobody makes mainstream applications for Windows anymore. In short it would make a horrible tablet and for a someone who wants a nice form factor for on the go business and pleasure a Pro over this should be an easy decision.

I say all this with respect, if you have one and love it than that is all that matters. Keep enjoying it! But, nowhere close being something I would purchase.

4everForever

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
With respect, I could not disagree more. I know 3 people who purchased a Surface Go and 2/3 returned it shortly after. The bezels are huge and incredibly ugly and it boggles my mind why someone would purchase this when they could purchase a Pro for a little more. To me this product won't last - makes zero sense and has no real room in the marketplace. People who want a tablet will purchase an iPad, a percentage will also purchase one of the few worthy Android options out there. Nobody should purchase a Go, nobody makes mainstream applications for Windows anymore. In short it would make a horrible tablet and for a someone who wants a nice form factor for on the go business and pleasure a Pro over this should be an easy decision.

I say all this with respect, if you have one and love it than that is all that matters. Keep enjoying it! But, nowhere close being something I would purchase.

I own the surface go and I really love it. I like it's
very portable size, light with the just nice body size. Someone who would like to do their works with full microsott office suite, at the same time want some entertainment like movie and music, surface go is really serving me well. And I can display it out on a bigger display anytime I want with a cheap bluetooth mouse and keyboard combination.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
I own the surface and go and I really love it. I like it's
very portable size, light with the just nice body size. Someone who would like to do their works with full microsott office suite, at the same time want some entertainment like movie and music, surface go is really serving me well. And I can display it out on a bigger display anytime I want with a cheap bluetooth mouse and keyboard combination.

The Pro series is just as portable and provides consumers with FAR better bang for their buck. And, it's only around $100 more.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site

There was no respect in your comment. You obviously don’t “get” the size issue at all. For me, the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 are too big, the Dell Venue 8 is too small. The Go is the size sweet spot for me.

I have an iPad Pro 9.7 and an iPP 10.5. The Go is nearly the same size and weight as the 10.5 with a silicone back cover and the Apple Smart Keyboard. The iPP don’t have a real file system, but most important of all, the don’t run the statistical software that I use and teach, which runs on Windows Pro or Linux.

I don’t notice the “ugly” bezels. I’m getting work done, not fretting over some cosmetic thing that doesn’t bother me at all.

The Go obviously is not the computer for you but it’s a great tool for some of us. I’ve had “portable” computers since 1982 (a blue 2nd generation Osborne 1) and this Go is the best of the many that I’ve owned for my uses.

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
There was no respect in your comment. You obviously don’t “get” the size issue at all. For me, the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 are too big, the Dell Venue 8 is too small. The Go is the size sweet spot for me.

I have an iPad Pro 9.7 and an iPP 10.5. The Go is nearly the same size and weight as the 10.5 with a silicone back cover and the Apple Smart Keyboard. The iPP don’t have a real file system, but most important of all, the don’t run the statistical software that I use and teach, which runs on Windows Pro or Linux.

I don’t notice the “ugly” bezels. I’m getting work done, not fretting over some cosmetic thing that doesn’t bother me at all.

The Go obviously is not the computer for you but it’s a great tool for some of us. I’ve had “portable” computers since 1982 (a blue 2nd generation Osborne 1) and this Go is the best of the many that I’ve owned for my uses.

They could have replaced the ugly bezels with more screen. And they settled on a lacklustre processor. For $100 more you get way more bang for your buck and if handling a Surface Pro on the go is difficult I am not even sure what to say. Looking at mine now that is in a UAG case with the Microsoft keyboard and it's no more difficult than handling a cased iPad. In closing, if my post is deemed disrespectful because it doesn't agree with you? Toughen up! Not everyone will agree in life. Enjoy the Go.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

You really don't get it...the bezel is a non-issue and improves productivity as you can actually hold it, and for many 12" devices are to large for their use case. Also, for many iOS isn't a viable option without VDI because we do real work with real applications. If you want a toy, cool stick with your iPad, I have been using my Go to drive a $17 Million book of business....

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

Somehow you managed to type an entire paragraph and the only actual criticism in it is "I don't like the bezels". For business use the Go has plenty enough horsepower and Windows is far better suited for productivity than iOS and Android. Do you really disagree with that?

Mark Travis

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello Computer Geek2, I think I'm with you on form as I look to buy an 8gb Go in the coming weeks.

Quick questions on mention of Photoshop, do you use PS on the Go? If so, how does it handle light work?

I'm hoping to use PS, Illustrator and the Affinity apps for preliminary work before doing the heavier stuff on the desktop. I'm just mindful of the Go's pentium. Thank you in advance.

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
You really don't get it...the bezel is a non-issue and improves productivity as you can actually hold it, and for many 12" devices are to large for their use case. Also, for many iOS isn't a viable option without VDI because we do real work with real applications. If you want a toy, cool stick with your iPad, I have been using my Go to drive a $17 Million book of business....

YOU don't get it. Read what I wrote, where did I say I was using my iPad for business or anything of the like. I said that my Surface Pro is no bigger than a cased iPad when I take it out on the go with me. Which it isn't. I stand by my point, a thin 12" inch device is easy to travel around with and in terms of power and ability to get tasks done blow the GO out of the water. I just don't understand how someone would buy this product if they can get so much more for basically the same price. If not, just a wee bit more. We can agree to disagree.

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Somehow you managed to type an entire paragraph and the only actual criticism in it is "I don't like the bezels". For business use the Go has plenty enough horsepower and Windows is far better suited for productivity than iOS and Android. Do you really disagree with that?

Huh? Where did I say iOS and Android are better suited for productivity? My reference to Android and iOS was in terms of using a tablet. Windows PC's, whether it may be the GO or Surface Pro are horrible tablets. No mainstream applications, a truly horrible tablet experience. I say that having a Pro myself. It is NEVER used as a tablet. It is used as a work machine on a table or desk. Nobody gets real serious work done with the keyboard detached and the device in tablet form. That's fact. So, yes I stand by my point that buying this over a Surface Pro where you get more screen real estate and FAR greater processing power makes zero sense to me. The GO is great for light work (email, browsing, excel edits, PPT edit), etc. Not for any heavy Adobe Photoshop, video editing, full on presentation work with commentary, graphs, embedded videos, etc) - Simply not powerful enough. It's my opinion, those of you who have a GO will of course disagree or lead on that you disagree to make you feel better about your purchase. It's fine, I get it.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Huh? Where did I say iOS and Android are better suited for productivity? My reference to Android and iOS was in terms of using a tablet. Windows PC's, whether it may be the GO or Surface Pro are horrible tablets. No mainstream applications, a truly horrible tablet experience. I say that having a Pro myself. It is NEVER used as a tablet. It is used as a work machine on a table or desk. Nobody gets real serious work done with the keyboard detached and the device in tablet form. That's fact. So, yes I stand by my point that buying this over a Surface Pro where you get more screen real estate and FAR greater processing power makes zero sense to me. The GO is great for light work (email, browsing, excel edits, PPT edit), etc. Not for any heavy Adobe Photoshop, video editing, full on presentation work with commentary, graphs, embedded videos, etc) - Simply not powerful enough. It's my opinion, those of you who have a GO will of course disagree or lead on that you disagree to make you feel better about your purchase. It's fine, I get it.

I've used every generation of Surface and all of them have been used as Tablets. Some of us use Office for productivity and we don't need to use Photoshop, and outside of a browser we don't need a ton of apps. The ones I need are available on the Go.

You need the power of the Pro - awesome, I used the every version of it and they are great machines, some of us need to be much more mobile and the Go's compact size is the right tool.

It's such an internet thing to do to bash the device because you aren't the target audience.

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
It's heavily implied when you come into a thread with the titled context of business use. The majority of your concerns seem much more relevant to consumers, which is fine, but they aren't relevant in this thread.

My opinion on the Surface GO is relevant in this thread. This thread is a Surface GO thread. Please do not confuse your misunderstanding of what I typed with my Surface GO opinion not being relevant in a Surface GO forum thread. Best to you.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
They could have replaced the ugly bezels with more screen. And they settled on a lacklustre processor. For $100 more you get way more bang for your buck and if handling a Surface Pro on the go is difficult I am not even sure what to say. Looking at mine now that is in a UAG case with the Microsoft keyboard and it's no more difficult than handling a cased iPad. In closing, if my post is deemed disrespectful because it doesn't agree with you? Toughen up! Not everyone will agree in life. Enjoy the Go.

To you the bezels are ugly, to me they are not. The processor works fine for everything I do. I did real work on the Dell Venue 8 Pro, a Dell Mini 9, and a Toshiba Netbook. The Go is a breeze compared to those. “Lackluster” for your uses perhaps, but not for everyone’s.

Obviously, you don’t spend a lot of your time in a camper with a tiny dinette table or hauling a giant notebook of class materials. I don’t think I claimed that handling a Surface Pro was difficult, I said the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 were TOO BIG. I happen to find the size of the Go “just right”. It may not be right for you, but to dismiss people who like the size because you don’t see the point just shows your disdain for those whose opinion is different from yours.

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
To you the bezels are ugly, to me they are not. The processor works fine for everything I do. I did real work on the Dell Venue 8 Pro, a Dell Mini 9, and a Toshiba Netbook. The Go is a breeze compared to those. “Lackluster” for your uses perhaps, but not for everyone’s.

Obviously, you don’t spend a lot of your time in a camper with a tiny dinette table or hauling a giant notebook of class materials. I don’t think I claimed that handling a Surface Pro was difficult, I said the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 were TOO BIG. I happen to find the size of the Go “just right”. It may not be right for you, but to dismiss people who like the size because you don’t see the point just shows your disdain for those whose opinion is different from yours.

I never dismissed anyone in any of my posts in this thread.

Example below:

"I say all this with respect, if you have one and love it than that is all that matters. Keep enjoying it! But, nowhere close being something I would purchase."

Cheers.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site

I don’t use Adobe Photoshop. I record video but use my desktop to edit and render it. Define “full on presentation work with commentary.” My presentations have lots of screen shots, although I don’t use embedded video much. I have reworked several presentations with new screen shots (taken and edited on the Go using SnagIt!).

See, you keep throwing in snide little comments like “to make you feel better about your purchase.” I don’t need your approval. I’ve already had a Surface Pro (3) and it was TOO BIG. I bought the Surface 3 the day it was released and less than a year after the SP3 and it was TOO BIG. (Not “too difficult” or however you put it, TOO BIG.)

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
I don’t use Adobe Photoshop. I record video but use my desktop to edit and render it. Define “full on presentation work with commentary.” My presentations have lots of screen shots, although I don’t use embedded video much. I have reworked several presentations with new screen shots (taken and edited on the Go using SnagIt!).

See, you keep throwing in snide little comments like “to make you feel better about your purchase.” I don’t need your approval. I’ve already had a Surface Pro (3) and it was TOO BIG. I bought the Surface 3 the day it was released and less than a year after the SP3 and it was TOO BIG. (Not “too difficult” or however you put it, TOO BIG.)

You don't need my approval but you seem quite defensive about my opinion differing from yours. Sure feels like you are in a "justify my purchase" mode. Are you still within the return period? If so, still time to return it and spend the $100 more to get better product.

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You don't need my approval but you seem quite defensive about my opinion differing from yours. Sure feels like you are in a "justify my purchase" mode. Are you still within the return period? If so, still time to return it and spend the $100 more to get better product.

The moment you posted "it boggles my mind why someone would purchase this when they could purchase a Pro for a little more", you were clearly getting quite offensive, then you go on and top it, by assuming you know exactly what everyone does for work and how "Nobody gets real serious work done with the keyboard detached and the device in tablet form."

My job has me traveling by air, a lot, in a plane, size and weight are a very significant factor, then there's the job itself, I run 32 bit apps (rules out the toy iOS and Android devices), I program and write documents, even sometimes I wander around warehouses taking wifi surveys - which makes the weight even more of an issue (currently was using a 15" Dell XPS), plus if it didn't have the bezel I'd have to find a case that allowed me to carry the device without touching the screen. All in all the Go is a perfect device for my job with or without the keyboard.

I don't think you can say the Go is a good or bad device, only offer the pros and cons and let other people decide if it fits their particular usage. I imagine there are very few devices that can quite hit the weight, size and flexibility I need, regardless of cost.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786