A Must Buy for Business People on the GO

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
The moment you posted "it boggles my mind why someone would purchase this when they could purchase a Pro for a little more", you were clearly getting quite offensive, then you go on and top it, by assuming you know exactly what everyone does for work and how "Nobody gets real serious work done with the keyboard detached and the device in tablet form."

My job has me traveling by air, a lot, in a plane, size and weight are a very significant factor, then there's the job itself, I run 32 bit apps (rules out the toy iOS and Android devices), I program and write documents, even sometimes I wander around warehouses taking wifi surveys - which makes the weight even more of an issue (currently was using a 15" Dell XPS), plus if it didn't have the bezel I'd have to find a case that allowed me to carry the device without touching the screen. All in all the Go is a perfect device for my job with or without the keyboard.

I don't think you can say the Go is a good or bad device, only offer the pros and cons and let other people decide if it fits their particular usage. I imagine there are very few devices that can quite hit the weight, size and flexibility I need, regardless of cost.

I fly over 150 times a year and use my Surface Pro on basically very plane I board. No issues.

Simply saying, I would feel like I am settling if I had a GO when I could have a Pro which offers better spec and tech for such a small fraction more.

In any event, my opinion has been shared and my points have been made. Freedom of speech! It's a good thing.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
You don't need my approval but you seem quite defensive about my opinion differing from yours. Sure feels like you are in a "justify my purchase" mode. Are you still within the return period? If so, still time to return it and spend the $100 more to get better product.

There you go inflicting your opinion on me. The Go is the better product for me, not the Pro. It’s not time to return the Go. I would be just as unhappy with the Pro even if it cost LESS than the Go. Price isn’t especially a concern for me. I’ve paid a heck of a lot more for a heck of a lot less computer and I was happy to do it because it was what I needed at the time.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I fly over 150 times a year and use my Surface Pro on basically very plane I board. No issues.

Simply saying, I would feel like I am settling if I had a GO when I could have a Pro which offers better spec and tech for such a small fraction more.

In any event, my opinion has been shared and my points have been made. Freedom of speech! It's a good thing.

Freedom of speech refers to government, which this isn’t.

I already know I wouldn’t be happy with the Pro, regardless of whether it costs more or less than the Go, because I’ve already have an earlier Pro and it was too big and I already have a Surface 3, which is too big. I have toted both of them to our camp, to class, etc. I’ve had the Go less than a month and I like it MUCH better than either the SP3 or the S3. The S3 performance was perfectly fine; the Go has higher specs. What’s not to like for my uses?

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Freedom of speech refers to government, which this isn’t.

I already know I wouldn’t be happy with the Pro, regardless of whether it costs more or less than the Go, because I’ve already have an earlier Pro and it was too big and I already have a Surface 3, which is too big. I have toted both of them to our camp, to class, etc. I’ve had the Go less than a month and I like it MUCH better than either the SP3 or the S3. The S3 performance was perfectly fine; the Go has higher specs. What’s not to like for my uses?

I respect that. Seriously do. If it works for you and you are happy with it, really in the grand scheme of things that is all that matters.

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 2017 I5, 256GB that is a great machine and works very well. But FOR MY NEEDS the Surface Go is a much better fit. If it works for me I imagine it would work for others too.

Anyway off to sell my Pro for about $950...LOL

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 2017 I5, 256GB that is a great machine and works very well. But FOR MY NEEDS the Surface Go is a much better fit. If it works for me I imagine it would work for others too.

Anyway off to sell my Pro for about $950...LOL

I can understand someone choosing the Go over an i5 with the difference in price points. But switching from the i5 to a Go? That's very curious. I'm guessing it's either the more portable design that's more practical for you, or the i5's power was simply overkill and a cheaper option suits you?

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I can understand someone choosing the Go over an i5 with the difference in price points. But switching from the i5 to a Go? That's very curious. I'm guessing it's either the more portable design that's more practical for you, or the i5's power was simply overkill and a cheaper option suits you?

I have a 15" SB2 that is near top of the line i7/16/512/1080 but outside the use of Visual Studio by Go feels just as capable doing standard Office Productivity and Web tasks and the portability is second to none...

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
One thing I think everyone here is missing is enterprise use.

I think a VERY large demographic for Surface Go is enterprises that have extensive Windows networks that rely on mobile PC's (RE: Tablets) to do work. Many of these organizations will not need powerful specs nor even the keyboards. These are warehouses, inventory management systems, compliance officers. They just need a PC Tablet that will run their proprietary network application to accomplish their job. These businesses will purchase hundred/thousands/tens of thousands of these devices to use as disposables. MS will probably give them decent discounts and robust support contracts.

The consumer space is merely a *blip* on the sales market. They offer them to consumers and students because all the R&D is done and it's another product to sell.

But don't underestimate the hundreds of thousands of businesses that run proprietary software on vast Windows networks and need devices like this that are 'business/enterprise grade'.

Many will say, "Consumers are returning the Surface Go and sales are down" and completely miss the point..

Lastly, Surface devices are "Halo Devices" which are not designed to sell to make MS money. They could care less about Surface revenue. They want to push other OEM's to innovate and use their design and showcase how Windows 10 and Office suite fit into a new world of usability. They want other OEM's to succeed and continue to sell Windows and Office to the masses. That's where the money is.

But yea, sure, the Surface Go is a flop.... :wink:

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a 15" SB2 that is near top of the line i7/16/512/1080 but outside the use of Visual Studio by Go feels just as capable doing standard Office Productivity and Web tasks and the portability is second to none...

The Go is definitely up to scratch for the vast majority of tasks, I agree. The only time I've seen the Go even vaguely struggle is in quickly scrolling through my extensive handwritten notes of a two-hour meeting. I certainly haven't encountered any crashes or had to wait an unreasonable amount of time for it to get stuff done.

That said, if I already had a Pro i5 I'd most likely stick with that. That's not to discredit the Go at all, but it seems like a lot of trouble to switch for the sake of form factor. I'm very curious what his use case is that led him there.

One thing I think everyone here is missing is enterprise use.

Pretty ironic in a thread about business use, isn't it? ;)

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site

Exactly, I value the portable design over the "power" of the i5. So I can meet my needs and net out about $200-$300 in the process.

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Lol, my very next transatlantic flight means I will need a Go if I don't want to exceed the carry-on limit, this isn't Microsoft's fault, granted, but an issue, especially a single bloke travelling budget, just the sort of person who gets his luggage weight checked.

Freedom of speech is great, expressing an opinion is great, but being rude because someone thinks you're wrong isn't good, IMHO, whether you realise it or not, since we all have our reasons for choosing our computers, and everyone of us is likely to have a different personal value to size, weight and cost. Since I have both form factors, I can at least compare the size and weight in use, my next trip I more than likely will have a list of likes and dislikes, I'm concerned I might find the CPU to be slightly under-powered, the USB-C is a pain since all my backups are kept on usb chips, but great for charging, I can carry far less weight in ancillary equipment, like chargers, so a huge positive, so I'll see how it goes.

dswartze

Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
I too love my Surface Go! I purchased 2 4GB/64GB Go's for church to be used as check-in kiosks. My 2017 i5/8GB/256GB SP4's battery stopped charging (and it had the flicker issue) so I sent it in to get replaced ... so I grabbed one of the Go's to use in the meantime. I am impressed! Yes, it stutters when I try to do too much (stream YT, tweedeck, Gmail, Hangouts, and load this forum ALL AT THE SAME TIME!) but for 90% of how I use my Surface the Go is great!

I've connected the Go to my Surface Dock which is connected to a 1080p monitor which I run simultaneously with the Go's internal display. Works great!

What I really love about the Go is it's size. The size is perfect. I've purchased $99 black Surface Go keyboard and use my Surface Pen from my SP4. The Surface Go is the perfect OneNote device! The size also makes me use Windows 10 more as a tablet. I find that anything over 10" or so is too big for a tablet. I now just grab my Go and go - with my larger SP4 I normally leave it behind b/c it is just a little too big and too heavy.

I have my wife and last homeschooling child on Chromebooks. The Go would be a perfect UPGRADE for the Chromebooks they are now using. I am seriously considering moving them to Go's when it is time to do a technology update for each of them.

The plan is when my SP4 returns ... I will return this Go to church ... and purchase a 8GB/128GB Go for myself! It can only give me an even better experience. Why both? Because I can! LOL!

Terry Holderbaum

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
YOU don't get it. Read what I wrote, where did I say I was using my iPad for business or anything of the like. I said that my Surface Pro is no bigger than a cased iPad when I take it out on the go with me. Which it isn't. I stand by my point, a thin 12" inch device is easy to travel around with and in terms of power and ability to get tasks done blow the GO out of the water. I just don't understand how someone would buy this product if they can get so much more for basically the same price. If not, just a wee bit more. We can agree to disagree.

Then I will explain it too you. Travel weight and screen size. I want the Surface as a Onenote digital notebook, with the ability to expand in to a full computer when needed. Most times I leave the Keyboard off and just use the pen. For that, the Surface Pro is just too big and unwieldy for me. I go to meetings and conferences where seating space is a premium and I don't get a table in front of me. Think sports stadiums and theaters. Anything larger is awkward and overkill.

The weight is a big deal too. Half a pound is half a pound.

The iPad is pretty much the perfect size for what I need. But it is way too limited. So therefore the Surface Go it the best tool for the job I need it too do. Anything bigger is too big.

dexman335

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I own an 8/128 Surface Go. It works out well as a daily driver. The smaller keyboard and display...compared to the Surface 3 that it replaced...took a little getting used to, but I've adjusted.

The smaller battery does pose a bit of a concern though. The Go's battery is smaller than the one Microsoft used with the Surface 3. I haven't been able to squeeze 9 hours out of a full charge...even with the screen brightness turned down and the unit running in Battery Saver mode.

For lighter fare tasks, the Go is a good choice. For more CPU intensive tasks, a Surface Pro is worth considering.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My history since the 1990’s with laptops and tablets for business is simple. Owned the first generation Panasonic toteable… frequent crashes and heavy….. traded it for an iPad….no mouse, no track pad, bad keyboards sold separately, MS Office needs a mouse and keyboard …bought a Yoga…everything great except the size – try showing a Power Point on a client’s messy desk with a 14” computer.

Then I purchased the Microsoft Surface Go with the works…128GB, Platinum Keyboard with matching Mouse and Pen. I had a C-Hub, which works with this unit.

The Go is the ultimate laptop for business people away from the office.
Working in a metropolitan area Wi-Fi is everywhere.

I not only show my Power Points, but multitask with windows word, excel and email with no lag. I use canned word business letters, insert names and addresses, insert excel pricing for quotes and email them as attached PDF files.

This is an excellent buy. Yep, you can purchase the Surface Pro for $100
more but you are back to form factor. I create web pages, work with Photo Shop and have the grand kids play games on my i7 desktop, which has peak performance.

For me the surface pro is the better choice to invest in. Based on my experience with a surface pro first gen for 5 years and the surface pro 5 for the past 7 months I think it is the better future proof investment for now and in the long run. Legacy software in business is still a thing and windows 10s UWP and PWA platform still has growing pains today. Battery life is great and overall I think the surface pro has a better resell value than the surface Go.

The only thing that would make me doubt my view is if the surface Go! had an option for a an easy removable battery and processor in time. For me currently the surface Go is too much a shortlived consumable device with a short half life, compared to a surface pro. For me a pc device last more than 5 years. I think the surface pro fits that profile based on experience. I don't think the surface Go! will fit that profile and last more than 18 months of value based on current specs.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
For me the surface pro is the better choice to invest in. Based on my experience with a surface pro first gen for 5 years and the surface pro 5 for the past 7 months I think it is the better future proof investment for now and in the long run. Legacy software in business is still a thing and windows 10s UWP and PWA platform still has growing pains today. Battery life is great and overall I think the surface pro has a better resell value than the surface Go.

The only thing that would make me doubt my view is if the surface Go! had an option for a an easy removable battery and processor in time. For me currently the surface Go is too much a shortlived consumable device with a short half life, compared to a surface pro. For me a pc device last more than 5 years. I think the surface pro fits that profile based on experience. I don't think the surface Go! will fit that profile and last more than 18 months of value based on current specs.

There's no way the OS is going to get too heavy for the Go within the next ten years, yet alone 18 months. Aside from that, what kind of task does the Go need to be future proof for in a business context? Anything it can do now it'll still be able to do moving forward.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
For me a pc device last more than 5 years. I think the surface pro fits that profile based on experience. I don't think the surface Go! will fit that profile and last more than 18 months of value based on current specs.

Interesting opinion, considering the ONLY piece of hardware that the Surface Pro has that is superior to the Surface Go is CPU. Surface Go has same amount of RAM (unless you go full 16GB which I'm guessing you didn't?) It actually has a faster NVMe drive per benchmarks for equivalent 128GB size, it has the same RAM speeds and type, higher quality screen (more color accurate, less light bleed), No open venting which will eliminate dust/water vapor ingress keeping the motherboard cleaner and without contaminants (Pro devices have ventilation holes along perimeter), and same magnesium chassis. The HD 615 GPU is also within 80% of the HD 620 on the Core i5 models as well so really the biggest difference is the CPU which should be roughly half the raw compute power (Pentium is half of the Core i5).

Given all that, I don't think just a faster CPU is enough to say one device will last 5 years and another will only last 18 months? There are a LOT more factors to consider, especially in regards to design like the completely sealed perimeter of Surface Go and quality manufactured parts designed for heavy use. I was still using a Surface 3 with an Intel Atom chip and 4GB RAM that is even less powerful than the Surface Go which was introduced in 2014. A 4 year old device that was still working great on Windows 10. A pro really is not some kind of magic device that will outlast the cheaper versions. MS put all the same R&D and development with quality materials into it's cheaper device which actually makes it the better bargain because you end up with a device that's 90% of a Surface Pro but only costs 50% as much!

Taretare

Dec 5, 2018
Visit site
As a paralegal, I have recently received my Surface Go for work and it has served me wonderfully in both my professional and personal capacity.

The size is just perfect for reviewing documents. It may not be A4 size, but the form factor is close enough and comfortable to hold in vertical mode that lets me lean back on my chair and rest my legs up to have a read through my documents. It was quite enjoyable I must say.

Typing really does take some getting used to. Not really recommended for long term usage as my left hand starts to cramp after 2 hours of typing. Well, truthfully speaking I should have taken a rest every hour if I want to stay healthy but still, I have had no issue with a normal full size keyboard. Time will tell whether I would adjust to this and I will report back later.

As for my personal use, I am quite amazed by the portability of this device. It sits sort of a middle ground between a tablet and laptop, and that means it is not too small that it feels like it is purely for media consumption device or too big to be carrying a brick on your back. I take this with me to work and back home, leave it charged during the day at work and enjoy some work and Youtube at home during the night. It doesn't even feel like I am carrying it on my back while I am in transit. This is amazing to be honest. Because all my older laptops has a noticeable weight-presence, whereas the Surface Go just "disappears'' on my back - strangely enjoyable I must say.

All in all, I am quite pleased with this device for my use. And I hope Microsoft would improve this device in the Surface Go 2 - definitely worth considering an upgrade if the form and price point stays the same (that means I get to keep using this keyboard without paying the extra in my next update.)

Last edited:

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I can easily purchase the Pro and was totally dismissive of the GO when I was going to buy a surface.

I went with the GO. It is impossibly light. I love being able to walk around with a tiny PC bag with the distinct feeling that I forgot to bring my computer! The physics of holding this device compared to the Pro is remarkable even though one may never think that .5 lbs is a big deal.

Would love it to be a more bargain price, but I'm very happy.....noticing zero lag with multiple Office apps open.

I tried to make the iPad pro work for me....it was close, and I could do it, but VERY awkward for work.

mattcyclone

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Skimmed the thread but no one mentioned airplane tables! I bought mine to use on planes... I sit down the back in the cheap seats in Economy and anything bigger than the Go becomes unusable...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077