Should I power off surface go

Status
Not open for further replies.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
first off I wasn't JUST talking about the surface GO, I was talking about all surface devices, and I have the surface 2 surface pro 3 and the surface 3 and they DON'T take seconds to boot up from off state! its much longer! secondly being in sleep mode will NOT make your battery go dead, if so then you need to return your device immediately! cuzz my devices takes at least 2 days to go dead if not more, so you people who are turning off your device for a few hours worrying about it being dead is just ridiculous.... 3rd these devices are made to have this "instant on" feature so why would you not use it? like seriously, you all need to turn off your devices? REALLY? thats just as ridiculous as you like to point out that I don't like turning off my devices and waiting XX amount of seconds! I can't believe you peoples panties are getting in a bunch because I feel I don't wanna wait for "how ever much seconds" it takes to turn on my devices... seriously who cares if I feel I like having instant on for my devices and I don't wanna wait! does it change your lives? 4th "I" think your silly turning off your devices for what ever reasons when your S-GO is capable of instant on... Tell me what benefits do you get for turning off your devices? please don't tell me that it saves the battery! cuzz sleep mode does NOT drain your battery that you need to turn off your devices! 5th its my prerogative if I don't wanna wait 10 seconds or 15 seconds or 20 seconds... it has sleep function for a purpose! I choose to use it like it was intended too.. nuff said...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I'll admit, I don't have a surface device. Given that, I don't really see how a cold boot can take any longer than 25-30 seconds, at most. The instant on taking say, 5 seconds, isn't that much of a difference.

As for most use cases, I would guess that most people would allow a unit to go to sleep while expecting to use it in the next hour or two. If the device is on longer than that without use, then perhaps shutting it down may be best.

slbailey1

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
I other thing to consider, I think Widows 10 does all its updates when the computer is inactive. So leave the computer on overnight and plugged in.

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
perhaps for YOU, you're willing to wait till your tablet turns on for how many minutes or seconds, but when someone is at work and needs access to their files in a pinch or needs to check some fact findings on the web for work or WHATEVER reasons they may be at home, that extra few minutes it takes to boot up from a shutdown as apposed to sleep makes a difference and I, and possibly many others don't wanna wait for whatever reasons... maybe you see something on tv and need to check something on the web and need it in a pinch, who wants to wait? but let me ask you this, why would that Bother YOU, for what reasons we need the device to turn on in an instance?... I mean thats why tech companies has made these devices to be able to turn on instantly... seriously who wants to wait? and why are you so bothered by that? LOL

I'm not trying to have a go I'm genuinely interested as to why, and your TV answer is definitely a time where it would matter. But overnight, as this question asked?

The reason why I care so much, I cycle my kids to school every morning, in California, the impatience of the drivers, the dangerous behaviour that puts my children at risk every day, is all a symptom of modern life where people worry about seconds, when in reality it doesn't matter, all you're doing is getting stressed and probably rushing towards that stressed induced heart attack, if we all reflected on the actual importance of those seconds and relaxed a bit more, life would be better for everyone.

Having moved a year ago from the UK, I can see the difference is huge and the UK is heading the way of the US. Worrying about boot times is just another symptom of life perspective being out of wack.

But here's a question, has anyone noticed how windows still slows down when left running for hours? I bet those few seconds from doing an overnight shutdown and morning turn on, actually benefit you in the long run.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm not trying to have a go I'm genuinely interested as to why, and your TV answer is definitely a time where it would matter. But overnight, as this question asked?

The reason why I care so much, I cycle my kids to school every morning, in California, the impatience of the drivers, the dangerous behaviour that puts my children at risk every day, is all a symptom of modern life where people worry about seconds, when in reality it doesn't matter, all you're doing is getting stressed and probably rushing towards that stressed induced heart attack, if we all reflected on the actual importance of those seconds and relaxed a bit more, life would be better for everyone.

Having moved a year ago from the UK, I can see the difference is huge and the UK is heading the way of the US. Worrying about boot times is just another symptom of life perspective being out of wack.

But here's a question, has anyone noticed how windows still slows down when left running for hours? I bet those few seconds from doing an overnight shutdown and morning turn on, actually benefit you in the long run.

there is a plethora of reasons for having the instant on, I'm not going to start listing or justifying all these reasons for having instant on... but while we're on the subject, some of us use our tablets for alarm reasons who keep our tablets beside our bed as 1 reason comes to mind... seconddly some people on here in this thread find it unbelievable why some of us would want/choose to have use for instant on... and rather try to chastise ME for wanting/choosing not to turn off my device and have to wait for whatever amount of seconds to turn it on from off state... like really?? thirdly like I tried to make some folks in here realize is that it DOES NOTHING to turn off your device over night or for a few hours except for whatever irrational reason you may have... the device WAS MADE TO HAVE THIS INSTANT ON FEATURE... so why not use it? so this is the last time I'm going to talk about this and seriously I'm not going to get into it with some of you.. I find it hilarious that some of you are bothered that I don't like/want to shut of my devices for whatever reasons or find my posts defensive, yet here I am having to defend my choice to not to shut off my device... like some of you have nothing better to do? you wanna shut off your device then be my guest, go shut off your devices for whatever make believe reasons you tell yourself to sleep better at night lol I for one choose not too... so have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon