Charge Surface Go using USB

abredt

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
What do I need to buy to be able to charge my Surface Go by using the USB-C port?

Can I do it through a USB-C to USB hub? (So I can also use my mouse.)

Thanks, cb

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I've got several hubs and one specifically that does pass through charging with my Chuwi tablet, but none have ever worked on my surface go, still looking, but then since you've got a charge port as well as USB-C, it's not a major irritation for me.

I've got a usb-c PD battery pack that works really well, charges my Go, my wife's XPS13 and all my other devices, I charge my Go with the power supply that came with it, though the battery can support a higher power rating so is faster. You can also use the power supply that comes with the Lumia Dock.

After using a Go since pretty much it was released, I've found, you realistically need to ditch as many USB peripherals as possible, it becomes too much hassle to rely on a hub, so I've gone from USB keyboard and mouse, to the MS keyboard and bluetooth Logitech mouse, I only use my hub rarely, for those things you can't replace. I did try to minimise the new expenditure, but if like me you fly a lot, it just becomes impractical with all the wires.

mike

Casey Cheung

Jul 26, 2019
Visit site
I've got several hubs and one specifically that does pass through charging with my Chuwi tablet, but none have ever worked on my surface go, still looking, but then since you've got a charge port as well as USB-C, it's not a major irritation for me.

I've got a usb-c PD battery pack that works really well, charges my Go, my wife's XPS13 and all my other devices, I charge my Go with the power supply that came with it, though the battery can support a higher power rating so is faster. You can also use the power supply that comes with the Lumia Dock.

After using a Go since pretty much it was released, I've found, you realistically need to ditch as many USB peripherals as possible, it becomes too much hassle to rely on a hub, so I've gone from USB keyboard and mouse, to the MS keyboard and bluetooth Logitech mouse, I only use my hub rarely, for those things you can't replace. I did try to minimise the new expenditure, but if like me you fly a lot, it just becomes impractical with all the wires.

mike

Hello, question please. What type of USB-C PD external battery do you use? How long does it take to charge the Surface Go laptop from say 50% to 75% or more? Thanks!

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello, question please. What type of USB-C PD external battery do you use? How long does it take to charge the Surface Go laptop from say 50% to 75% or more? Thanks!

Late reply, but you need a powerbank which supports USB-PD charging. Most power banks just have a USB C port which is fine for phones and regular tablets that can charge at 5V and lower currents even if it takes a long time. I have a power bank that supports 65W charging but the surface go maxes out at 45W when charging through the USB C port or the Surface connect port. Hence it is fast charging up to about 80-85%. 20-80 % takes like 30-40 minutes I think, it is much faster than the included charger.

When it comes to docking, well, I just use the Surface dock, works really well with the Surface go if I want to use it with a large monitor and a desktop keyboard/mouse.

Casey Cheung

Jul 26, 2019
Visit site
Late reply, but you need a powerbank which supports USB-PD charging. Most power banks just have a USB C port which is fine for phones and regular tablets that can charge at 5V and lower currents even if it takes a long time. I have a power bank that supports 65W charging but the surface go maxes out at 45W when charging through the USB C port or the Surface connect port. Hence it is fast charging up to about 80-85%. 20-80 % takes like 30-40 minutes I think, it is much faster than the included charger.

When it comes to docking, well, I just use the Surface dock, works really well with the Surface go if I want to use it with a large monitor and a desktop keyboard/mouse.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Can you tell me the exact model/brand name of the battery you use? I will try to find it on Amazon. Thanks!

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
This is what I use https://www.frys.com/product/9523082?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG I got it for $60 when it was half price, which was almost a no-brainer, it now appears to be that price again. I've been very pleased. I would test it and give you an accurate picture of performance, but my wife has borrowed it for a few weeks and it's not in the US with me - she's got a Dell XPS 13. From memory, the Go seemed to charge a bit quicker than the supplied charger and around the same as a Go charged by a Surface Pro charger.

PD is a revelation, it's totally transformed the ability to use the Surface Go for me, it's certainly the first time I've found a good reason to search out any future purchases with a USB-C port with charging capability.

I also have a Naztech device with power socket built-in, this doesn't charge the Go via USB or USB-C, but does work with the power pack, which was why I bought it, not being able to charge the Surface Pro with USB-C.

As with all these sorts of things, I've had good experience with Naztech, but others haven't so just consider that, although since the cells used in these battery packs probably all originate from the same Chinese factory, I'm not sure any one manufacturer is more reliable.

Casey Cheung

Jul 26, 2019
Visit site
This is what I use https://www.frys.com/product/9523082?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG I got it for $60 when it was half price, which was almost a no-brainer, it now appears to be that price again. I've been very pleased. I would test it and give you an accurate picture of performance, but my wife has borrowed it for a few weeks and it's not in the US with me - she's got a Dell XPS 13. From memory, the Go seemed to charge a bit quicker than the supplied charger and around the same as a Go charged by a Surface Pro charger.

PD is a revelation, it's totally transformed the ability to use the Surface Go for me, it's certainly the first time I've found a good reason to search out any future purchases with a USB-C port with charging capability.

I also have a Naztech device with power socket built-in, this doesn't charge the Go via USB or USB-C, but does work with the power pack, which was why I bought it, not being able to charge the Surface Pro with USB-C.

As with all these sorts of things, I've had good experience with Naztech, but others haven't so just consider that, although since the cells used in these battery packs probably all originate from the same Chinese factory, I'm not sure any one manufacturer is more reliable.

Thank you for the link! That Naztech battery looks interesting! Equally interesting is that I cannot find any written reviews on this products doing a Google search, even Amazon doesn't seem to carry this. Usually Amazon carries everything, haha! How long have you had the Naztech battery? Yes, PD (Power Delivery) functionality is very important to both charge up the battery and other devices simultaneously! I'm at a point now that I'm in analysis paralysis deciding among so many different competing batteries. I'm looking at batteries ranging from 20,000 mAh up to 100,000+ mAh! I'm even tempted to get batteries that are so big that it's not even portable anymore. At one time, I used to own a Yamaha 2000 watt gas powered generator which weighed 60 pounds. Ridiculous! I'm one of those guys that once I get started, I not satisfied and want a whole range of stuff to fit every need and situation, haha!

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had the battery over 6 months, and although it doesn't get used that much, it's still functioning properly and since I wrote my last reply, I've now got a USB-C to Surface connector cable, which allows me to charge my Surface Pro 4 with the same battery.

For me the only point in this battery pack was for flying, at it's pretty much at the maximum you can get away with, if checked by the airline or security, not that I've ever been checked before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss