Best browser for Surface Go

Reinaldo Versuri

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
I bought Surface Go (8GB/128GB) and I know the Edge is well optimized but what are the others that you recommend? Chrome does not run very good on it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Try Firefox. I started with Edge but ran into problems on some of the sites I visit and problems syncing bookmarks. I've been using Firefox for a while now and it works great (though Firefox is more taxing on the battery). I also have Chrome installed but I only use it for work.

Reinaldo Versuri

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
Try Firefox. I started with Edge but ran into problems on some of the sites I visit and problems syncing bookmarks. I've been using Firefox for a while now and it works great (though Firefox is more taxing on the battery). I also have Chrome installed but I only use it for work.

This is my issue with Surface Go, the battery leaving quickly.
I stopped using Chrome because of this.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to keep my GO in S mode, so I'm sticking with Edge, which is a pain; it's not syncing my favourites/history etc with my laptop. And trying to do my report cards (i'm a teacher) the other day: Edge does not display my grades/comments with the web based student management system we use, so I had to wait till I had my laptop to finish (I use Chrome on my laptop, because it displays all the drop down menues correctly, and my SmartBoard interactive Whiteboard does not work properly with Edge).

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to keep my GO in S mode, so I'm sticking with Edge, which is a pain; it's not syncing my favourites/history etc with my laptop. And trying to do my report cards (i'm a teacher) the other day: Edge does not display my grades/comments with the web based student management system we use, so I had to wait till I had my laptop to finish (I use Chrome on my laptop, because it displays all the drop down menues correctly, and my SmartBoard interactive Whiteboard does not work properly with Edge).

You might just have to wait until the chromium based Edge is released soon.

But in the meantime it is not a bad idea to step out of a mode and just limit using exe based programs to the chrome browser.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You might just have to wait until the chromium based Edge is released soon.

But in the meantime it is not a bad idea to step out of a mode and just limit using exe based programs to the chrome browser.

Unfortunately by opting out of S Mode you will get hit with a battery life penalty. It’s noticeable.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
And from what I understand is the change to Win 10 home is one way. No turning back
Not with Surface devices. There are downloads available from Microsoft to get S Mode back. I don’t have a link handy but you can Google it (or Bing if that’s your thing).

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Opera is really good but missing the touch gestures, so bad.

https://www.opera.com/

I have an older Surface 3, with the atom cpu, and Opera is the only browser that scrolls smoothly. It's also fairly lightweight with the built in adblocker.

I'm not a fan of the newer UI, but there's options to keep the older UI, which is similar to Firefox 4, which I also liked (hated the Australis one).

I'll check out chromium edge when it comes out, but for now, I'm quite happy with Opera, so edge will have to do a lot to get me to change.

One drawback is that opera doesn't play nice with bookmarks. Not sure if it has been fixed or what, but in general it's not as good as it could be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon