USB C for Display

jeyps11_c

Jun 13, 2019
Visit site
Just got a Dell S2718D monitor to connect to my Go. Based on videos I've seen and articles I've read it should be plug and play via USB C. Once I connect the USB C on the Go and the Monitor I should get a mirror of my Go's screen.

However, I always get a No Signal Error on my Dell monitor. It's not detecting both USB C and HDMI connectivity. The Surface Go is charging when connected via USB C so I assume that the monitor, USB C able and Surface Go are working.

Is there a setting on the Surface Go that I should change to set the USB C as a display output port instead of a power port?

jeyps11_c

Jun 13, 2019
Visit site
@golfdriver98 - That would be a possible reason. I did download a driver pack for the monitor from the Dell site. Unfortunately, since the monitor can't be detected the program won't continue to run. I will try to get another laptop and try to update the monitor's driver (if there is one)

@ HeyCori - The HDMI cable works, I tried my office laptop to the monitor (via HDMI to HDMI). Possible it is the USB C cable, I tried connecting via USB C (direct) and it did not work. Tried via USB C to HDMI also did not work (sucks!). Are there different versions of USB C cables? How do I know which one will work with the Surface Go and output to an
external display.

jeyps11_c

Jun 13, 2019
Visit site
@HeyCori - Looks like the USB C adaptor nad USB C to USB C cable that I got were both not compatible with the Surface Go. Based on additional readings I was able to look up it needs to be a USB C 3.1 version to be able to carry the display signal from the surface to the external display/monitor. Similar to the one that you are currently using.

jeyps11_c

Jun 13, 2019
Visit site
Finally got it working. It was the cable. So apparently not all USB C to USB C cables are the same. Some are purely for mobile phones and used for charging. To be able to send audio/video from the Surface Go to an external display you'll need to use a USB C 3.1.

Thanks for the help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Finally got it working. It was the cable. So apparently not all USB C to USB C cables are the same. Some are purely for mobile phones and used for charging. To be able to send audio/video from the Surface Go to an external display you'll need to use a USB C 3.1.

Thanks for the help.
Thanks for posting the follow up. Didn't think about the cable at all.

For as nice as the USB C cable is, a specific standard would be nice....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3