Microsoft Office 2010 app too old ?

Casey Cheung

Jul 26, 2019
Visit site
My sister gave me a never opened Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 package that she never used. I already installed the newest Office 2019 app onto my Surface Go. I didn't want to pay another couple hundred for another license to install the same thing on my other laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad.

So my question is this. Should I go ahead and try to install this Microsoft Office 2010 app onto my Thinkpad or is it too old a version to even bother? The 2010 package shows a sticker price on the plastic wrapper for $169.95. Amazon still currently sells it for $213.99 which I find surprising.

Casey Cheung

Jul 26, 2019
Visit site
Definitely not too old. Of course, you won't get all the new bells and whistles, but it will still work great and is feature packed.

Here's a list of supported file formats in case you're wondering about compatibility.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/compat/office-file-format-reference

Thanks for the comment! Okay, I will try to install the MS Office 2010 app onto my Thinkpad. Hopefully it will install okay without a glitch. I recently tried to open an Excel file I created long ago but my Thinkpad with MS Office 2003 installed refused to open it and kept giving me error messages. Possibly part of the problem is that I also activated the 30 day free trial of Office 365 and kept getting a pop-up window to activate and/or pay for Office 365 (which I refuse to do). I'm thinking I may (or should) first uninstall the MS Office 2003 app, plus maybe figure out how to un-install the built-in Office 365 trial app too? Didn't used to be this complicated in the past, haha.

Casey Cheung

Jul 26, 2019
Visit site
Here's an update. I was able to install MS Office 2010 onto my Thinkpad okay. Went to Microsoft's download page, and the link was well hidden to download older versions cuz they really want me to upgrade to current version. I went ahead and uninstalled Microsoft Office 2003, plus a trial version of MS Office 2016. I left the pre-installed Office 365 alone even though I activated the 30 day free trial. The password was accepted for downloading/installing the MS Office 2010 app, so now my Thinkpad is up and running with version 2010. Yay!

I have one pressing question. Why is the font so small for showing the emails in the Outlook inbox? I read a user review on Amazon that says the pre-programmed small font on MS Office 2010 cannot be changed. Is this accurate? I need to increase the font size but don't know how.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Here's an update. I was able to install MS Office 2010 onto my Thinkpad okay. Went to Microsoft's download page, and the link was well hidden to download older versions cuz they really want me to upgrade to current version. I went ahead and uninstalled Microsoft Office 2003, plus a trial version of MS Office 2016. I left the pre-installed Office 365 alone even though I activated the 30 day free trial. The password was accepted for downloading/installing the MS Office 2010 app, so now my Thinkpad is up and running with version 2010. Yay!

I have one pressing question. Why is the font so small for showing the emails in the Outlook inbox? I read a user review on Amazon that says the pre-programmed small font on MS Office 2010 cannot be changed. Is this accurate? I need to increase the font size but don't know how.

Here's a whole tutorial on how to change the font sizes. Before doing this ensure you've done all the updates.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-how-to-change-outlook-font-types-and-sizes/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon