fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Still seems to be confusion. But from what I understand, RT is Metro only coupled with MS Office in Metro, not desktop. Bloggers are calling it Office 15.

EDIT: Same with IE10. I believe there will be a Metro version for IE, because I remember Chrome and FF complaining that MS was blocking them from submitting their browsers. If RT had dekstop mode, then it wouldn't be a problem for Chrome and FF. MS already stated that Adobe Flash will be limited in Metro IE. Not so with desktop IE. All these point to a Metro only RT, IMO.

They are restricting the desktop mode on RT devices to Store apps only which are of course all Metro. With the exception of their own native IE10 and Office that they are bundling in. There have been articles on porting Office to ARM and the screen shots that have leaked still show it with the traditional minimize, restore, and close buttons, not a full screen Metro only app. IE10 has 2 forms as you mentioned and is already seen in the Preview versions.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
They are restricting the desktop mode on RT devices to Store apps only which are of course all Metro. With the exception of their own native IE10 and Office that they are bundling in. There have been articles on porting Office to ARM and the screen shots that have leaked still show it with the traditional minimize, restore, and close buttons, not a full screen Metro only app. IE10 has 2 forms as you mentioned and is already seen in the Preview versions.

If that's true then technically you can't really use desktop mode unless you're using Office or IE. No other x86 programs will work. So RT is still a Metro only device, with the exception of Office & IE? Wow. This is definitely going to confuse consumers.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
If that's true then technically you can't really use desktop mode unless you're using Office or IE. No other x86 programs will work. So RT is still a Metro only device, with the exception of Office & IE? Wow. This is definitely going to confuse consumers.

Yeah were not really sure how the implementation is going to work since no one has really seen an RT build live yet. I think the shortcuts will be in the Metro UI but they'll open in the desktop mode of course so they won't so much see the desktop itself really I wouldn't think.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah were not really sure how the implementation is going to work since no one has really seen an RT build live yet. I think the shortcuts will be in the Metro UI but they'll open in the desktop mode of course so they won't so much see the desktop itself really I wouldn't think.

That sounds like a lot of hearsay. Unless I read something official from MS, I'm going to take the safe route and assume RT = Metro only and Pro = Metro/Desktop.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
That sounds like a lot of hearsay. Unless I read something official from MS, I'm going to take the safe route and assume RT = Metro only and Pro = Metro/Desktop.

Well don't take my word for it.

Microsoft News ? Microsoft Demos Office 2013 On Windows RT Device

Building Windows for the ARM processor architecture - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Particularly this section of the blog post from the link above:

WOA includes desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. These new Office applications, codenamed ?Office 15?, have been significantly architected for both touch and minimized power/resource consumption, while also being fully-featured for consumers and providing complete document compatibility. WOA supports the Windows desktop experience including File Explorer, Internet Explorer 10 for the desktop, and most other intrinsic Windows desktop features?which have been significantly architected for both touch and minimized power/resource consumption.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Well don't take my word for it.

Microsoft News ? Microsoft Demos Office 2013 On Windows RT Device

Building Windows for the ARM processor architecture - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Particularly this section of the blog post from the link above:

WOA includes desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. These new Office applications, codenamed ?Office 15?, have been significantly architected for both touch and minimized power/resource consumption, while also being fully-featured for consumers and providing complete document compatibility. WOA supports the Windows desktop experience including File Explorer, Internet Explorer 10 for the desktop, and most other intrinsic Windows desktop features?which have been significantly architected for both touch and minimized power/resource consumption.

Suddenly, my point of view RT tablets just shifted :)

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
499 would be my pain barrier. 399 would be way more bearable, though I also think it should be cheaper to compete better with established tablet platforms.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
So i soooo want one of these the price i would pay is up to 500-550 GBP if this includes the keyboard and office! My only problem is, where in the UK will I officialy be able to get one? I am happy with importing one, I did the Nexus One when it came out, as long as their is an option to get a Britisg plug. I'd rather buy from my own shores though and as MSFT has no British stores yet (London will get one next year apparently) then where or where will I be able to get one from? :dry

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I realize Microsoft has went with superhigh prices in the past and miserably and utterly failed at the tablet market. I remember when they came out with those outrageously priced tablets and tablet pcs. Now that they have serious market competition to catch up to maybe they won't be total idiots. I'm crossing my fingers for 400.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss