I have read/heard that the Surface for Windows RT will have Office Home & Student 2013 included. I have also seen various lists of the actual Office programs that will be included, but none of them has Outlook included. I'm a bit concerned because the stock calendar and email apps with Windows 8 are a bit bare. For example, the calendar app will not allow you to view/modify Outlook calendars that have been shared by other users. Another example would be lack of task/todo support in the stock apps. I have searched quite a bit, but can't find any mention of Outlook being part of the Office Home and Student 2013 suite, or being included with the Windows RT version of Windows 8. Obviously one option would be to use the web version of Outlook, but it's not a great option.

Has anyone heard/read differently?

Thanks in advance
    08-20-2012 09:43 AM
    Great questions and would like to know the same thing.
    10-18-2012 02:30 AM
    Office Home & Student RT Preview - Office.com

It does not come with Outlook. You will have to use the Mail app.
    10-18-2012 02:35 AM
    Can you purchase Outlook for the RT?
    10-18-2012 02:48 AM
    No, but Microsoft is still actively working on their stock apps. Hopefully the mail and calendar apps will actually be useful sometime next year.
    10-18-2012 09:23 AM
    Thought over on Paul's site, winsupersite.com, Paul mentioned in one of his articles that you can 'upgrade' to one of the upper versions of office after you have the RT. But it might have been Mary Joe's site or when they were both doing one of their Pod Cast. If in fact this is doable when my company orders the Office 365 with 5 lic's. we will be putting a couple of those on our Surface RT's. There are a lot of MS changes going on and a lot of articles being posted on different websites right now. But it does make sense to let RT people upgrade to the full office version since this would promote BYOD in the work place. I do believe MS is going to be very flexible going forward as to promote as much Win8 Pro/RT movement as possible. Thanks... ~ rbf
    10-20-2012 07:28 PM
    That's incorrect. What that's referring to is commercial users can upgrade their license. Out of the box, it's not licensed for commercial use.

Even still, it's only going to be Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Word. No additional apps come with that.
    10-20-2012 07:38 PM
    Sorry if what I stated was wrong. I just ment to say you could "Upgrade". The link to the article I was refering to is below and here is the statement I was getting my info. from:

A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed this was the case in an e-mailed statement:

"While Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview and the final edition are not designed for commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities as sold, organizations do have options for using the applications commercially including purchasing commercial use rights or licensing any edition of the new Office with commercial use rights.

Here is the link: Microsoft Office for Windows RT: How to move to a commercial-use license | ZDNet
    10-20-2012 07:43 PM
    That's incorrect. What that's referring to is commercial users can upgrade their license. Out of the box, it's not licensed for commercial use.

Even still, it's only going to be Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Word. No additional apps come with that.
    What other apps do you need for non commercial?
    10-20-2012 09:30 PM
    What other apps do you need for non commercial?
    I don't need any other apps period. I was saying though that even with a commercial license, you don't get Access or Outlook or anything of that sort.
    10-20-2012 10:10 PM
    Has anyone here got any further info? I am considering straying from the Pro to the RT but I want to know if the RT will accept Office365? I did read on one of the sites that it will but I have not read anywhere else confirming this.

Silly question, I know, but I don't want to get the wrong product.
    10-21-2012 09:03 AM
    Has anyone here got any further info? I am considering straying from the Pro to the RT but I want to know if the RT will accept Office365? I did read on one of the sites that it will but I have not read anywhere else confirming this.

Silly question, I know, but I don't want to get the wrong product.
    Yes, you can activate Office RT with a 365 subscription. However, that will only convert the home-use only license to a commercial license. You won't get any additional programs or features by doing so.
    cj-m likes this.
    10-21-2012 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD