Surface for Windows RT to be less than $350?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The other issue is with apps. People are not going to pay prices similar to those of the iPad for an RT device that lacks the apps the iPad has.

That's what killed the Blackberry Playbook.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm out! Can't justify $499. Guess I will have to wait until prices come down. $350 was my ceiling.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 has much lower end hardware compared to the Surface (Storage, RAM, screen size, screen quality, HD out, micro SD etc) so you are getting what you pay for.

Even with the lower end hardware it has been rumored that Google subsidizing the Nexus 7 to keep the price at 199

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at US websites to see prices for Android tablets and I see that tablets that have been out for a while are still $499. I don't see how people can say the Surface RT is overpriced.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at US websites to see prices for Android tablets and I see that tablets that have been out for a while are still $499. I don't see how people can say the Surface RT is overpriced.

The Surface RT can only get apps from the Microsoft store, which is minuscule, compared to Google Play.

The Surface Pro would not be overpriced even around $1000, since it will run desktop software and won't need any "app stores".

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The Surface RT can only get apps from the Microsoft store, which is minuscule, compared to Google Play.

The Surface Pro would not be overpriced even around $1000, since it will run desktop software and won't need any "app stores".

Well, that's one man's opinion.

dula714

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I would have pre-ordered the Surface RT if it was less than $350. I thought it was more focused at students and thought it would be cheaper.

Sorry Microsoft, I am not going to buy the Surface RT.

I hope Nokia will come up with some better pricing with their rumoured tablets.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I would have pre-ordered the Surface RT if it was less than $350. I thought it was more focused at students and thought it would be cheaper.

Sorry Microsoft, I am not going to buy the Surface RT.

I hope Nokia will come up with some better pricing with their rumoured tablets.

It costs $100 less than the iPad. If you thought it would be much more cheaper than that, you were expecting crazy things.

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Ya, disappointed by the price

going to wait for gen 2 or wait for the price drop for black friday to fight the ipad mini.

btw, people saying it costs 100 dollars less then the ipad....there is a reason why every commercial is promoting the touch cover and the slogan "click-in" is being used....microsoft's marketing campaign is promoting the $599 bundle, not $499 one.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ya, disappointed by the price

going to wait for gen 2 or wait for the price drop for black friday to fight the ipad mini.

btw, people saying it costs 100 dollars less then the ipad....there is a reason why every commercial is promoting the touch cover and the slogan "click-in" is being used....microsoft's marketing campaign is promoting the $599 bundle, not $499 one.

Still, any decent iPad keyboard cover is at least $80, so it would still be $80 less than a comparable iPad bundle. Even a 32 GB iPad with the "Smart" cover would be $639, so for $40 less, you get a cover that does WAY more.

dula714

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought Surface RT was more focused at students. It is out of my reach now. I thought it would be $349.99.

Oh well.... I will wait for a sale to buy the tablet or wait for a rumoured Nokia tablet.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought Surface RT was more focused at students. It is out of my reach now. I thought it would be $349.99.

Oh well.... I will wait for a sale to buy the tablet or wait for a rumoured Nokia tablet.

Even for students, $500-$600 is not a bad price for a computer. That is the price range most of the students at my University had, and it was a state school, and not even one of the premier state schools in my state.

dula714

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Even for students, $500-$600 is not a bad price for a computer. That is the price range most of the students at my University had, and it was a state school, and not even one of the premier state schools in my state.
According to my knowledge, Windows RT does not support any other apps (software) which are not on the "Marketplace". Therefore, it cannot be compared to a fully functional laptop.

That is just my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
According to my knowledge, Windows RT does not support any other apps (software) which are not on the "Marketplace". Therefore, it cannot be compared to a fully functional laptop.

That is just my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I am hugely disappointed in price, but I can justify it EXCEPT for the damn keyboards. That should have been included in the price.

However, I get it... Microsoft probably threw a bone to OEM partners to not undercut them, and you can tell from the construction that it really is a premium product. I mean, really... skateboarding on it?! Wow. Impressive! Nevermind it has Office built-in to it, so that adds $100 right there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention