Asus Vivo Tab RT - $599.99

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This is the first RT tablet that the price has been confirmed. BTW this is WITHOUT the keyboard dock so no keyboard included. Tegra 3, 2gb ram, etc...

To me, this is WAY too expensive for a RT tablet without a keyboard included. If others follow with the same price range to start with, they will not catch on.

Linkage

jetbo

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Told a friend if 64 gb surface and touch cover is more than 650 its the ativ smart pc for me. More than 650 for rt not worth it

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
First off, this is in the wrong forum section. This section is for the Microsoft Surface RT, this thread should be in the Tablet Discussion section.

Secondly, you are completely correct about the price being crazy. However, there are two with confirmed prices. The Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11.6" is an RT convertable and is priced at $750!!!!!! The pricing of these RT devices is crazy and if companies don't release in the sub $400 range RT will be remembered as nothing more than a failed experiment.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
First off, this is in the wrong forum section. This section is for the Microsoft Surface RT, this thread should be in the Tablet Discussion section.

Secondly, you are completely correct about the price being crazy. However, there are two with confirmed prices. The Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11.6" is an RT convertable and is priced at $750!!!!!! The pricing of these RT devices is crazy and if companies don't release in the sub $400 range RT will be remembered as nothing more than a failed experiment.
No kidding. Wow, if these prices hold up - I'll be way off in my guesses. These are iPad prices.

Microsoft better not pull off a "Playbook"...

BTW how does the Tegra 3 compare with the ARM processor?

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
No kidding. Wow, if these prices hold up - I'll be way off in my guesses. These are iPad prices.

Microsoft better not pull off a "Playbook"...

BTW how does the Tegra 3 compare with the ARM processor?

Tegra 3 is an arm processor made by nvidia. Qualcomm makes the snapdragon series of arm processors and Texas instruments makes the omap series arm processors. Arm OS a processor architecture, just as x86/x64 is. All chips from Intel, from the atom through the core I and xenon, and also from amd use the x86 architecture.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

You're a bit generous on the Lenovo, it will cost $799. Crazy!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My plan was to get the Surface RT if the cheapest version was $400 or less. Based on what we are seeing, I have zero intention of buying now. Microsoft better pull something out of their hat when everything is announced, otherwise they won't sell.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Tegra 3 is an arm processor made by nvidia. Qualcomm makes the snapdragon series of arm processors and Texas instruments makes the omap series arm processors. Arm OS a processor architecture, just as x86/x64 is. All chips from Intel, from the atom through the core I and xenon, and also from amd use the x86 architecture.

Thanks, but what I meant was how do the two compare in performance, power efficiency etc? The Tegra has four cores while the ARM has two I believe. I'm thinking (and hoping) part of the reason for the 599.00 price tag, is the processor is a higher end component than a Snapdragon ARM would be. Also this Asus is a pretty loaded device and the Surface will probably be more Spartan over all - thereby a lower cost.

I'm still holding out for the Surface RT to come in around 459.00.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Bearing in mind the slew of good Android tabs available in the UK available pretty cheap, it's got a real fight on its hands. I would like the Surface but it better have a medium price tag on it. Especially as I'm giving up the HTC Scribe on my Flyer for it (and before anyone tells me Galaxy Note 10.1, I'm not having that, as I can't stand TouchWiz, but I really like Sense)

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but what I meant was how do the two compare in performance, power efficiency etc? The Tegra has four cores while the ARM has two I believe. I'm thinking (and hoping) part of the reason for the 599.00 price tag, is the processor is a higher end component than a Snapdragon ARM would be. Also this Asus is a pretty loaded device and the Surface will probably be more Spartan over all - thereby a lower cost.

You still haven't specified which chip you are talking about ARM means Tegra, Snapdragon, OMAP and a few others. The question you asked is like asking "How does Atom compare to x86 chips?" If you mean Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4, the dual core S4 has beaten the Tegra in many areas, but the Tegra tends to excell at graphics performance.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the rest here. That is way too high a price point for the RT tabs to have a chance of catching on. Bring it in under 500 and I'll think about it, get it under 400 and I'm definitely on board.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

ARM is microprocessor architecture, same as Intel's X86 microprocessor architecture. There's no such thing as ARM CPU. ARM can have 1 core or 500. Tegra 3 is just one SoC of the hundreds that uses ARM architecture.

Tegra is unfortunately usually more marketing talk than performance with Qualcomm, Exynos most of the time beating it. That said i believe these W8 RT tablets use different version of Tegra 3.

I think the first wave RT SoC's will be quite similar as far as performance goes.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This is the first RT tablet that the price has been confirmed. BTW this is WITHOUT the keyboard dock so no keyboard included. Tegra 3, 2gb ram, etc...

To me, this is WAY too expensive for a RT tablet without a keyboard included. If others follow with the same price range to start with, they will not catch on.

Linkage

The price is consistent with Asus pricing of the TF700 tablet line so this should come as no surprise to anyone. It is also meaningless with respect to any other tablet that may arrive in the next few months. Asus prices their top line stuff pretty high. Take a look at how much they charged for their Windows 7 slates (which very few people ever bought). In fact, if one wanted to extrapolate from the Asus price, it would suggest that prices for other manufacturers will be consistent with that of their Android versions. This excludes the Kindle line (which is barely Android and still targeted squarely at media consumption), and the Nexus 7 (which is a little plastic toy).

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
This excludes the Kindle line (which is barely Android and still targeted squarely at media consumption), and the Nexus 7 (which is a little plastic toy).

That's true, but it's not stopping the Nexus 7 from flying off the shelves. And the public seems to really like it as well.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The price is consistent with Asus pricing of the TF700 tablet line so this should come as no surprise to anyone. It is also meaningless with respect to any other tablet that may arrive in the next few months. Asus prices their top line stuff pretty high. Take a look at how much they charged for their Windows 7 slates (which very few people ever bought). In fact, if one wanted to extrapolate from the Asus price, it would suggest that prices for other manufacturers will be consistent with that of their Android versions. This excludes the Kindle line (which is barely Android and still targeted squarely at media consumption), and the Nexus 7 (which is a little plastic toy).

And no one buys their high end Android offerings either. People opt for more reasonably priced Samsung offerings.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
iPad prices? No, that would be far took generous a statement. These over it Apple by several hundred dollars! The worst part is that there is nothing special in them. They use a Tegra like everyone else and Acer has a 500 USD Pro tablet. Windows RT is as good as DOA. Why did Microsoft even bother?

Vexxed

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are off the mark with price reactions. Even Win8 RT brings more in value out of the box than any other traditional tablet on the market. Win8 Pro is leaps and bounds more.

At $500, this device and its comparables are going to break through enterprise markets.

Everyone is talking about the iPad but I have always thought MS's real competitor is Google. By virtue of the OS being everywhere, MS will do to tablets what Android did to phones.

This resembles very much the scene that played out between Apple and MS is the 80's and 90's. The idea of a closed ecosystem will always have its place but it can never dominate for long against one that inspires competition from within

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
iPad prices? No, that would be far took generous a statement. These over it Apple by several hundred dollars! The worst part is that there is nothing special in them. They use a Tegra like everyone else and Acer has a 500 USD Pro tablet. Windows RT is as good as DOA. Why did Microsoft even bother?

Talk about an over reaction...

32GB iPad $599
32GB Surface $499 with FULL Office 13 which will cost a fair bit.

Google and Amazon tablet prices have made people expections of tablets price drop. It has to be $199 otherwise it will fail.

Really?

People need to start being realistic about these things..

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How is he not being realistic? He makes a perfectly valid argument.

The Acer W510, with very similar specs to the Surface RT minus the soc of course, priced the same as Surface RT($499), and runs Windows 8 Pro.

I personally think all the arm based devices should be dropped in price by $100 simply because you can get Win 8 Pro for $499.....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss