Surface RT NFC?

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought I saw NFC on the Surface Tablet when they made the announcement in June/July? Can someone verify? I'm excited about my Nokia 920 and I though I'd be able to touch the phone to the tablet to transfer things.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
A random post on this forum isn't proof. I too remember seeing an NFC demo during the Surface reveal. I was fairly certain that it was one of the required specs for the OS on a tablet (like the minimum screen resolution, memory, storage, etc.).

Not sure if I remember them demoing it or I'm mixing it up with the WP8 demos but they must have changed something because its not listed on the official specs:

Specsheet Shootout: Surface Pro vs Surface RT - Neowin

And its not a requirement because none of the Acer devices has it and they are both full Windows 8.

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
No nfc on it or the pro. The surface team did a ama on reddit. They said the way the wi-fi antennta is placed they had to give up including nfc.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
im going to have to look for the surface reveal video because I remember them touching each other to transfer a photo. This is something I was planning to show off. ;-)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
im going to have to look for the surface reveal video because I remember them touching each other to transfer a photo. This is something I was planning to show off. ;-)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Is this the video you were talking about?: Microsoft's Surface Announcement - YouTube

I scanned through it and didn't see anything, but I didn't watch the whole thing so there's a VERY good chance I skipped over it.

CatFoodScience

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like the surface team didn't dedicate time/priority to adding an NFC antenna and instead focused on the case. The quote is below so judge for yourself, but i don't read of an actual problem with the Mg case and NFC, I read it as - the case was critical in our dev process, nfc was not.

For the product design experience we were aiming for with Surface, the Mg metal enclosure, including the back case, was critical. This made good antenna design for NFC a trade-off in our development process.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I totally agree that lack of NFC on the RT version is a bit of a let down..

But then I dont use NFC in my current phone and I have a Nexus S...

Still undecided on the whole Surface thing...

Meh...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss