RT MicroSDXC Slot

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen a thread on this so I thought I would mention - sorry if it has been mentioned and I just missed it. Contrary to the spec's mentioned previously (and still posted at the top of this forum), Microsoft's official specs identify the RT as having a MicroSDXC slot instead of just MicroSDHC. That opens up a potential for much greater storage capacity down the line.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This is from the overview details on the order page:

"Ports and Connectivity

Bring your entire media collection with you wherever you go. A microSDXC card slot lets you add up to 64 GB of extra storage. Show off everything on the big screen using the HD video out port. Full-size USB port and Bluetooth 4.0 provide clutter-free connections with wireless mice and headsets. Dual 2x2 MIMO antennas provide reliable internet connectivity."

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

"Ports and Connectivity

Bring your entire media collection with you wherever you go. A microSDXC card slot lets you add up to 64 GB of extra storage. Show off everything on the big screen using the HD video out port. Full-size USB port and Bluetooth 4.0 provide clutter-free connections with wireless mice and headsets. Dual 2x2 MIMO antennas provide reliable internet connectivity."

Well they don't even make anything bigger than 64gb I don't think.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

"Ports and Connectivity

Standard practice by a lot of manufacturers to only advertise compatiblity with the current largest capacity drive. If the hardware follows the standard correctly it should be compabible with larger sizes as they are released in the future.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I went looking for a 128GB this morning and came up dry. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get one of those (if/when) they make them to put my user files on - so hopefully they are stating the 64GB limit only because that's the biggest one available for now.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I went looking for a 128GB this morning and came up dry. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get one of those (if/when) they make them to put my user files on - so hopefully they are stating the 64GB limit only because that's the biggest one available for now.

They state that maximum because, since it is the largest that exists, they cannot test with anything larger than 64 GB, so they can't promise it will work with anything larger. We won't know if it works with larger cards until larger cards exist.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I believe there are larger cards but they are not commercially available. Therefore, 64GB is the defacto largest it uses (and SOP is to list that as the maximum) but that does not mean it is the largest it can eventually use. SDXC is a hardware standard that extends beyond the current limits. As for when something might be available that is commercially feasible, I would just generally remind people to think back just a couple years and ask themselves whether they ever thought they would be inserting a 32 GB card in a camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre