Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

Will the Surface wirelessly sync with a Lumia 920 for contacts and calendar?
    10-18-2012 11:00 AM
    Sort of, if you are talking about the calendar and contacts for your windows live account. They will both sync online with your contacts/calendar at outlook.com (or hotmail.com).
    incendy likes this.
    10-18-2012 11:03 AM
    Sort of, if you are talking about the calendar and contacts for your windows live account. They will both sync online with your contacts/calendar at outlook.com (or hotmail.com).
    It's pretty slick. My wife's old phone became inoperable, and she replaced it with another WP7 phone. Once she provided her Windows Live Account, presto!, all her contacts, calendar, mail were back.

Apps have to be reinstalled, but you will not have to buy them again. (Install Reinstaller to make the process easier.)

Photos is a different story, however. You must manually turn on the autosend to SkyDrive to save backups of scaled down resolution photos (scaled down for easier social media sharing). If you want full-res backups, you must sync with Zune Desktop.
    10-18-2012 11:18 AM
    If you mean with a live Wi-Fi connection, the simple answer should be yes. Windows RT will ship with the same email, calendar, and contacts app available with Windows 8. It is not limited to just syncing Windows Live/Outlook.com accounts. It currently has options for Hotmail/Live, Outlook (meaning Office 365, Exchange, and Outlook.com), Gmail, Yahoo mail, AOL mail, and "other." If you add something to your calendar on the tablet you can choose with which account to associate it and it will sync across devices via the internet connection. Likewise, if you add something to a calendar on a phone, it will sync via the internet to the tablet. The different account events are displayed in different colors in the Calendar app. The email app does not offer a Windows Phone 7 or Android style combined inbox but does display all email accounts on the same page. BTW, the Windows 8 app has been upgraded a couple times already and I expect we will see more enhancements in the near future.
    Last edited by swyost; 10-18-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    evilrobot likes this.
    10-18-2012 11:20 AM
    OK great, that is just what I was hoping it would do.
    10-18-2012 12:11 PM
    It's pretty slick. My wife's old phone became inoperable, and she replaced it with another WP7 phone. Once she provided her Windows Live Account, presto!, all her contacts, calendar, mail were back.

Apps have to be reinstalled, but you will not have to buy them again. (Install Reinstaller to make the process easier.)

Photos is a different story, however. You must manually turn on the autosend to SkyDrive to save backups of scaled down resolution photos (scaled down for easier social media sharing). If you want full-res backups, you must sync with Zune Desktop.
    Right, this is amazing. What I do is I have my Pictures folder in my PC inside my Skydrive folder. So when I sync my Windows Phone through the Zune desktop client, my pictures are saved in my PC and also backed up automatically to Skydrive. This way I have them in the cloud accesible from any computer and from my Windows Phone's Pictures Hub.

I can switch phones in minutes without having to worry about backing up or transferring anything.
    10-18-2012 12:59 PM
    Not really, you can use Camera Roll Sync which will in fact sync full res images to skydrive.
    10-18-2012 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD