has anyone actually touched a touch cover?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have concern over the touchcover. Mainly, if it is floppy and completely unusable on a lap, it is useless to me and I'd be better served by a bluetooth keyboard or another tablet altogether. Basically, I realize the Surface is not ideal for in-lap use, but I want to know if it is even possible to use in your lap should you be in a situation where no hard surface is available for you to set it up on.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I recall someone who had gotten hands on with it said that it bends very little. I also remember seeing some MS employee show it to some media dude how it doesnt bend much.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
With the Touch Cover on, we were able to balance the Surface on a lap for typing like a notebook without it falling forward or tipping over backwards; compare this to the Asus Transformer Prime which always wants to fall backwards, and you'll appreciate this weighting.
Surface-HandsOn-12-580-100.JPG

Microsoft Surface review | Tablets Reviews | TechRadar

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
They could have used a better hand model there. Yeeesh.

I was thinking the same thing. Whats up with the finger nails?

Also, very glad to hear this. I was almost considering getting a Iconia W510 over the Surface just for lap-use situations. Seeing that it is possible has solidified my Surface purchase decision.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I am glad I don't have the money to pre-order one right now. I want to see how typing feels on the touch cover. I assume I am going to end up going with the type cover but hoping the touch cover is awesome and works better than I expect.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Taken from the link I posted:

Typing on the Touch Cover is a little odd at first because the keys don't move under your fingers; but they don't pick up typing until you actually hit the keys so just resting your hand on the keyboard or even putting your fingers in place on the keyboard while you think about what to say doesn't generate stray characters. The soft surface is more comfortable and less slippery than typing on a screen – not to mention being at the right angle. It is harder on your fingers than typing on a keyboard with physical keys that give as you type, so if you type a lot there's the Type Cover. This has the same strokeable soft feel as the Surface chassis itself and the keys go down a surprising distance for a keyboard that's still so thin.

So basically:
Surface RT - Touch Cover
Surface Pro - Type Cover

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
So basically:
Surface RT - Touch Cover
Surface Pro - Type Cover

Not really sure how you pulled this conclusion.

I could see both used with both devices. Seeing that I'll have real office on my RT, I might type just as much or more than your typical Pro user.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's simply conjecture on my part. I'm figureing that the Surface Pro being more of a workhorse, one will need need a more comfortable keyboard. Still though, we'll all find out soon enough how well the Touch Cover will be as a keyboard.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
At least some MS employees say along the lines of like.. 50 words a minute on TouchCover, 60 on TypeCover. Naturally the base value depends on the person, but I think I've seen that mention from 3 diff MS employees and they all got a roughl?y 10 word per minute increase on type cover.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So basically:
Surface RT - Touch Cover
Surface Pro - Type Cover

I know both are compatible with the Surface Pro, but I'm really hoping that my fingers (and brain) can adjust well enough to the touch cover, even when I eventually get the Pro. When using a thicker device like the Pro version, I really hope that I will be able to manage using the thinner cover, just for portability's sake. Of course, that's not to say the difference is huge, but instead just because the thinner the better.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
im hoping this will be something thats comfortable to type on in my lap during lecture halls. Only thing that has me a little skeptical.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, the device weighs approximately 1.5lbs, so that may depend more on the length of the lecture than the weight of the device (which according to all accounts is incredibly well distributed throughout the device). I keep a 6lb laptop on my lap regularly for relatively decent lengths of time without too much issue, although the weight is distributed across a larger portion of my legs given it's a laptop and not a tablet. I would welcome a 1.5lb device though, I think ;).

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Given how expensive the touch covers are, I'm waiting to see them in person before making a purchase. I don't mind the $500 Surface price, but if I'm gonna pay that much for a keyboard, I need to know it's functional or else spend the $10 more on the Type Cover instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb