Why doesn't Microsoft explain the differences between RT and 8?

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
First post, long time reader and WP fan.

So I've been talking to people and reading on forums non-stop about how they don't understand why they "can't run Photoshop on surface rt?". Fed up, I made this quick chart and sent it out to a few people and apparently it's been very helpful and so I figured I'd start sharing.

Feel free to share this as well:
microsoft_surface_pro_rt_program_compatibility.jpg

Source: Surface RT Vs. Pro: Avoid Confusion, What Works?

Last edited:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You mean why haven't they done this:

Help me choose which Windows tablet is best for me - Microsoft Surface

which has been up for quite some time? I am sorry but this has been explained and explained and the only ones I see harping on the subject are the same media people who have been railing against Windows 8 and RT for ages. I have yet to meet a person who does not grasp the difference with only the most minimal of explanations; but then I also have yet to meet a person who finds the Windows 8 interface to be some insurmountable challenge.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
perhaps they should, but it is pretty simple to me

RT = Tablet

Pro = Laptop

I would hope people know the difference at this point.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've explained to people that Windows RT is functionally different than Windows 8 only in the software it can run. You won't be bringing your old software with you, you'll be using what comes with the device (including Office) and what you grab in the store, same as other tablets. I've yet to have someone not understand it at that point, and in fact, I've yet to have someone find that to be a problem either. Everyone simply goes, "oh, okay". Once I explain that almost everything designed to be downloaded/installed from the store will be designed for both the higher-end "business" Pro devices and the RT tablets minus the heavy-duty stuff they'd want only on their PCs and laptops anyway (think Photoshop), they think that is the coolest thing since fruit loops and start to want one.

I doubt this is gonna be a problem for any large - heck, even small - group of people. Yes, there will be some who just won't get it. They will be the minority of the minority of the minority, and that'll be it, as far as I can tell.

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Though they say it works exclusively with apps in the store, people think that their photoshop and other apps are in the store - which they're obviously not. Also, I've heard some people ask if they have to go to a physical store, because it wasn't made clear that it's an App store. Few people actually seemed to think Windows = Microsoft and with the word "app" missing from that name, it's confusing to them and they don't associate the Windows Store as the Windows App Store.

Most people on WPC forums are tech-savvy and work in the tech industry. How many of you would be out of a job right now if people understood some of the basics of computer usage? I mean honestly, how many people are going to be returning their Windows 8 machines because they can't get the darn thing to turn off? Microsoft really hasn't been explaining well enough.

I also bet you most people aren't clicking the tech-spec sheet where they discuss that it can't run anything outside the app store purchase. Most people see that information and turn away from the page.

I made that chart to be as simple to understand as possible. I understand why Microsoft doesn't want to say "no" or "can't" in their ad, but in this scenario, I think not doing so hurts them more than helps. People have a 3 second attention span and if they can't figure it out in 3 seconds, they're tossing it back in the box and sending it back.

stui83

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I've explained to people that Windows RT is functionally different than Windows 8 only in the software it can run. You won't be bringing your old software with you, you'll be using what comes with the device (including Office) and what you grab in the store, same as other tablets. I've yet to have someone not understand it at that point, and in fact, I've yet to have someone find that to be a problem either. Everyone simply goes, "oh, okay". Once I explain that almost everything designed to be downloaded/installed from the store will be designed for both the higher-end "business" Pro devices and the RT tablets minus the heavy-duty stuff they'd want only on their PCs and laptops anyway (think Photoshop), they think that is the coolest thing since fruit loops and start to want one.

I doubt this is gonna be a problem for any large - heck, even small - group of people. Yes, there will be some who just won't get it. They will be the minority of the minority of the minority, and that'll be it, as far as I can tell.
Basically, if you've spent more than $500 on x86 software in the past two years then it is sub-economic to buy the RT.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It seems people are hung up on the "Windows" label. I'm an IT guy but I don't eat tech with every meal - so I consider myself an enthusiast and not a casual consumer. Still, I didn't know the difference between the two when we were at the rumour stage. It took all of three nanoseconds to get educated - and now I know.

Those that write incessantly about the confusion factor are either:
- Genuinely confused
- Writing from an uneducated consumer viewpoint
- Purposely obtuse just for the sole reason to ***** about Microsoft.

Another forum I'm on has a 7 page topic on the Surface and 3 pages complaining about how confusing the naming convention is. The bitterest complaints are from the site's previous owner - a guy who writes tech articles and does consulting for a living. And he doesn't know the difference. (He also is a huge Apple advocate - which of course has nothing to with his "confusion")

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Basically, if you've spent more than $500 on x86 software in the past two years then it is sub-economic to buy the RT.

Honestly if you spend that kinda money on x86 software then I would wait and get the pro. Most people that have that kinda money spent in software are going to get the pro anyways.

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
because they want a ton of angry returns from tards that didn't do research.

Success of a product for the masses is more of an "omg, I want it". People bought ipads before it could do a whole lot. The productivity apps came after the sales. The sales happened out of hype and demand, not because consumers researched and found it served their needs. The thing was a toy at first and now you can use it for business in many cases.

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Success of a product for the masses is more of an "omg, I want it". People bought ipads before it could do a whole lot. The productivity apps came after the sales. The sales happened out of hype and demand, not because consumers researched and found it served their needs. The thing was a toy at first and now you can use it for business in many cases.

I'm not talking about apps or the app store or productivity. What's going to happen is the general public/consumers that are impulse buyers/retarded are going to buy Surface RT not knowing that it's not windows.

You know it's exactly what's going to happen. A bunch of dumb asses are going to get outraged that it does not run their desktop programs because they didn't research before the purchase and in turn create negative press/buzz about the Surface RT.

Like Microsoft better have their staff trained and telling everybody that it's not their desktop windows. That they can't install anything unless it comes directly from their own controlled app store. Tell everybody before they slide hte card, give the cash, or sign the check.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Aside from anti-virus software, or freeware/spamware, like Chrome, Ask, PDF Viewer, etc. that gets accidentally downloaded, most average consumers never purchase 3rd party x86 software. A good number of very capable computer are nothing more than consumption machines. Surface RT will serve them well.

Those that do purchase software, will do the research.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Aside from anti-virus software, or freeware/spamware, like Chrome, Ask, PDF Viewer, etc. that gets accidentally downloaded, most average consumers never purchase 3rd party x86 software. A good number of very capable computer are nothing more than consumption machines. Surface RT will serve them well.

Those that do purchase software, will do the research.

you have way too much faith in the general public.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
you have way too much faith in the general public.
People at work bring in their laptops for me to try and bring back to life or improve performance. Mostly failing hard drives or worms. I always look to see what they have installed to determine what I would need to rebuild. Aside from the aforementioned free apps, and an occasional copy of Office 2003, there is nothing else installed on these machines. They are typically 2 to 5 years old machines. Have worked on 9 or 10 this year. I have also done some home desktops. Same observation.

I know, anecdotal information. But the same can be said for app downloads on phones. I have seen plenty of 1+ year old iPhones without a single third party app. Surprises the crap out of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss