Surface Shipping Details (UK)

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Think I may give the new google nexus phone and 10" tablet a go. I'm a apple person iphone and iPad but a bit bored with them. Thought I'd try windows phone and tablet but not impressed with what has happened. I wouldn't mind a delay but to cancel my ruddy order and the funds have been reserved and authorised on my card is annoying!

The new Google Nexus 4 phone does look mindblowing, with full 360 sphere photos, and wireless charging. I'll definitely be getting that. Google have done it again, leapfrogged everyone else.

The 10" tablet looks OK, but I'd still stick with the Microsoft Surface for tablets though. I own a Nexus tablet at the moment, and I have to say it's really lacking in the app department. All it's apps are just blown up phone apps, which really sucks, and will be worse on a 10" screen! Also, it won't have USB etc and all that gives you.

Just my personal opinion.

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The new Google Nexus 4 phone does look mindblowing, with full 360 sphere photos, and wireless charging. I'll definitely be getting that. Google have done it again, leapfrogged everyone else.

The 10" tablet looks OK, but I'd still stick with the Microsoft Surface for tablets though. I own a Nexus tablet at the moment, and I have to say it's really lacking in the app department. All it's apps are just blown up phone apps, which really sucks, and will be worse on a 10" screen! Also, it won't have USB etc and all that gives you.

Just my personal opinion.

Don't disagree really on the tablet front. But I try and keep to one system so I'm not paying for the same apps on multiple platforms.

I see android is improving slowly but still badly fragmented. That's why if I was to go with google it would have to be plain vanilla.

I really fancied Microsoft as I have just ordered a new windows 8 laptop but the cancellation of my order for no reason and the total lack of correct communication has lost me as a customer........

No doubt microsoft will evolve in tablets and phones even more but for me, they have lost me......not that they would be bothered! ;)

Anyway I had better stop......as this is not the right forum to be venting this......sorry folks!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how the Nexus 4 leapfrogs anything, really. Panoramas (although the sphere thing is slightly improved of just a normal panorama) have always been a niche with very little practical use IMO.

It's not a bad phone for sure, but I dont think it's mindblowing in any aspect of the word.

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how the Nexus 4 leapfrogs anything, really. Panoramas (although the sphere thing is slightly improved of just a normal panorama) have always been a niche with very little practical use IMO.

It's not a bad phone for sure, but I dont think it's mindblowing in any aspect of the word.

Use a Nexus for a day then you'll see. Also it's got wireless charging, NFC and a whole host of other features. It has leapfrogged the other phones which Apple and Microsoft are soon to release. Although it is lacking in the design department.

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Use a Nexus for a day then you'll see. Also it's got wireless charging, NFC and a whole host of other features. It has leapfrogged the other phones which Apple and Microsoft are soon to release. Although it is lacking in the design department.

I agree.......sort of. I borrowed the current nexus for a while and thought the vanilla version of android was very intuitive, but the design was rather plain Jane. Also the sound was appalling. It could be sorted with a app but it was a big fault!

The wireless charging for the lg version is interesting but then nokia has that and some good looking Phericals.

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately it's running android, so it's inherently rubbish.

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately it's running android, so it's inherently rubbish.

Have you tried 4.2 Jellybean? It's great for phones, far superior to iOS and Windows 8 mobile, although Windows 8 is much better for tablets and laptops. Each to their own I suppose. I don't like being tied into one ecosystem though.

Last edited:

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh dear, no email here, I am getting confused, yesterday, support told me my payment had gone through and the billing section on my MS account page shows the transactions for my surface and type cover are "settled" but my credit card still does not show any charges (on my bank website). I am getting that sinking feeling that they (MS) have messed up and my surface isn't coming.

Catcoo

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Dammit, now I'm going to be itching for an email / delivery all day today, and I know I'm just setting myself up for disappointment! Good luck everyone :p

Theonlyix

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried 4.2 Jellybean? It's great for phones, far superior to iOS and Windows 8 mobile, although Windows 8 is much better for tablets and laptops. Each to their own I suppose. I don't like being tied into one ecosystem though.

Wow, you sure know everything there.
Of course its better than Windows 8 Mobile which you surely have alot of experience with.

Ive owned like every iteration of the android since the dream, and i can say for sure that they are lagging behind in usability and have alot of shortcomings. This discussion dont belong here though, so BACK ON TOPIC pls!

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow, you sure know everything there.
Of course its better than Windows 8 Mobile which you surely have alot of experience with.

Ive owned like every iteration of the android since the dream, and i can say for sure that they are lagging behind in usability and have alot of shortcomings. This discussion dont belong here though, so BACK ON TOPIC pls!
I agree, there are plenty of places to discuss the relative merits of different OS choices, this thread is about when our Surfaces land on our doormats!!!

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Finally got a shipping notice and a way to track my delivery which should happen today! So when I'm not in today and have to pick it up tomorrow somehow it will have only been 5 days (3 working) late...

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
UK - has anyone received a shipping email?

It seems most people received the email shortly after midnight. But none of the people who got their Surfaces yesterday got any email. Also, the people who did get their emails today mostly ordered when pre-ordering was first available early on the 16th.

This is too tense.

Jim Chapman

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Received a 'shipping email' from Microsoft at 3am today UK Time, and on the MicrosoftStore website, my status has moved from 'in process' to 'completed'. The email includes a link to a 'WISMO - Where Is My Order?' site with tracking info (which seems to suggest that delivery is planned for today but more likely to happen tomorrow).

I ordered on 17th October.

Here's hoping that I can actually start getting fingermarks on a Surface real soon now. Especially since I have an app published on the Store, and I'm getting reports of intermittent issues with launching it on the Surface, so it would be nice to be able to check it out on the real hardware!

ndschris

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had no shipping confirmation email and ordered within minutes of pre-orders going live, none of it makes any sense, I guess people's orders will simply turn up when they turn up, bearing no relation to when they ordered.

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well Microsoft guaranteed that they would all be with us in the UK by end of play today, which is 7PM for UPS, so we'll all know in 11 hours time. There's no more excuses Microsoft can use, wording games or other stuff, they clearly said the 30th at the latest, for everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12