11-02-2012 04:11 PM
750 1234 ...
tools
    My hold from my paypal account has disappeared, so hopefully that means they'll be charging me soon and shipping it!
    10-25-2012 07:26 AM
    Really disappointed by this order process from Microsoft, although I will of course eat my words if it appears on my doorstep tomorrow after all. After the **** up on saturday with the mistaken slipped release date, I rang MS on monday to confirm when it would arrive, because like everyone else mine shows Preorder for 02/11/2012 on my online order details. They didn't really seem to understand why I was concerned but told me it would be arriving on the 26th. I just rang them again now as I still haven't had any shipping info and it still says 02/11 despite them telling me on monday it would take a few days for the mistake to be updated... I was told today that that it was 'In Process' - I know that - and they couldn't tell if it's been shipped, but that it would arrive either 26th or 30th (guess no Saturday deliveries).

I really hope it does arrive tomorrow because I'm at work on Monday till late evening so I won't be able to get it until Tuesday from the local depot!!

However, I imagine these are being sent direct from China, like the US orders, I mean why have a completely different delivery chain process? So maybe they will arrive after all? Finger crossed.

EDIT: Ordered mine a couple hours after became available on 16th and on Debit Card, no charge taken yet.
    10-25-2012 08:13 AM
    Still no money out of my bank either.....it's very sad but the weekend will be a killer if we have to wait.

MS should've opened up some temporary stores around the UK, I'm sure by the time they launch their MS Phone 8 they will have ironed all the kinks out!
    10-25-2012 09:07 AM
    Still nothing here either. Time to accept it I think guys, there will be no UK surfaces this weekend! :(
    10-25-2012 09:11 AM
    On the MicrosoftStore and Surface twitter accounts, the language has changed slightly from "expect delivery as per your original email receipt" to "expect delivery 26th-30th October"

As for shipping, I don't think it will be coming from China direct, I suspect they've got them stocked somewhere in the UK. The 'Expedited Shipping' delivery process they are using is a 1-2 business day delivery. If the OP is correct about them not actually being /sent/ until 26th, then that would explain the 'no later than the 30th' delivery estimate that's floating about. Microsoft are _STILL_ being misleading in my opinion. If they're sending the things out on the 26th using Expedited Shipping, then the idea of them arriving the same day is just ludicrous, so there is no justification to even imply that delivery is somehow "26th-30th".

Microsoft Retail are really painting a bad picture of themselves and leaving a bad taste in peoples mouths. They're misleading their own customers, and given we're all early adopters, we're the very people they need to make a good first impression with - we're the ambassadors for these sorts of products, the people who our friends and family will look to for advice on whether to buy the thing themselves. The whole thing feels badly handled.
    10-25-2012 09:18 AM
    I'm not going to dwell on this anymore, I've waited long enough, I can add a couple of days.

Just hope my Nokia 920 wait is not as bad.....
    10-25-2012 09:43 AM
    So, had a phone call with the Microsoft Store helpline today.

They told me the products will be /sent out/ on the 26th. I explained my email had shown "delivery by 26th October", and they tried to say that this meant the product would arrive 'around that date'. I asserted that most (all?) people would understand it to mean delivery on or before the 26th, but the initially didn't seem to want to accept that!

After persisting with putting the point forward, the representative then put me on hold, came back, and changed tack. Apparently, they originally did intend to get the shipments out for arrival by 26th .. but just didn't anticipate demand.

Frankly, I don't believe that either. All they needed to do was send the product out today rather than waiting for tomorrow, but I suspect that was never the plan.

I'm not really too bothered about not receiving the product prior to the weekend .. but I think the way Microsoft Store has effectively misled people, and not provided clear and transparent information is very, very bad indeed.

I really hope they tighten things up in the future!
    10-25-2012 03:29 PM
    My email from the Store actually says "Pre-order now for delivery by 26/10". You can't spin that any other way, it should have been delivered this Friday.
    10-25-2012 04:17 PM
    Technically then, Surface's release is actually the 29th in the UK.

Whoever's job it was to get these out on time needs to be fired.
    10-25-2012 04:54 PM
    To possibly bring some hope to folks. Mine is arriving tomorrow. I have not received shipping details yet (used the Order # hack to find out info), and I still haven't been charged yet.
    10-25-2012 05:27 PM
    Then it is highly unlikely it is arriving tomorrow.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    10-25-2012 05:31 PM
    Then it is highly unlikely it is arriving tomorrow.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    I have confirmed with FedEx that it is indeed arriving tomorrow.
    10-25-2012 05:33 PM
    I have confirmed with FedEx that it is indeed arriving tomorrow.
    Tell us the Order # hack?
    10-25-2012 05:40 PM
    10-25-2012 05:44 PM
    That only works for US orders, you realise this is a thread for the UK?
    10-25-2012 05:46 PM
    That only works for US orders, you realise this is a thread for the UK?
    I do realize this is a UK thread. However much of the concerns are identical to those in the States. And I would suspect that whatever carrier they are using over on your side of the pond has metadata attached to your shipment.
    10-25-2012 05:54 PM
    I do realize this is a UK thread. However much of the concerns are identical to those in the States. And I would suspect that whatever carrier they are using over on your side of the pond has metadata attached to your shipment.
    Nope. The trick only works on US shipments. Both Canada and UK are unlucky. We don't have the MS prefix in our order numbers, nor do the references work on either site. Sucks :(
    10-25-2012 05:55 PM
    Nope. The trick only works on US shipments. Both Canada and UK are unlucky. We don't have the MS prefix in our order numbers, nor do the references work on either site. Sucks :(
    my apologies. just tryin' to help
    10-25-2012 05:56 PM
    UK here.

I don't know why people are saying they saw that when ordering a message saying delivery from 26th to 30th, I never saw any such thing.

I filmed my order for a Youtube review I do of products I receive, and it clearly states at the Microsoft Store checkout:

"Preorder now to guarantee delivery on or BEFORE 26/10 to ensure receipt of product before official launch date"

I don't see how Microsoft could make it any more clear. These were supposed to be with us now, or tomorrow at the latest. LATEST.

I've had a conversation on Twitter with @Surface and @Microsoft, who've both told me that it will definitely be with me tomorrow at the latest, they even said that again a few mins ago.

I've also had the whole phone conversation thing with some lovely Mexicans, who told me 26th at latest, or definitely by date shown on bill too.

This 30th thing is new.

Also I can confirm they definitely don't deliver on weekends. I'll keep you guys updated as I progress.
    10-25-2012 06:32 PM
    My email says delivery by 26/10 but I am 99% certain when I placed the order it did say delivery by 30/10 which I took to mean it would be despatched tomorrow. Seems silly to wait till day of release to ship them.
    10-25-2012 07:02 PM
    Past midnight, so time for a conspiracy theory.

Who reckons the UK has been held up to make sure that the US was the first country to get them so all the news and blogging etc comes from there (and happens during US daytime hours)?

Just read a blog post (Cnet chap I think) saying he spoke to MS and the UK tablets are sat in a warehouse in the UK ready to be sent friday....
    10-25-2012 07:18 PM
    I don't think there is any conspiracy I think it just seem right hand not knowing what the rest of the body is doing.
    10-25-2012 07:23 PM
    Past midnight, so time for a conspiracy theory.
    Nah, there's no conspiracies going on here. Microsoft will have made plenty anyway, it's probably just like Apple do all part of the hype machine.

My two pennys, which I know from when I've bought Apple things on release day before, and they send it from China, is that they do the exact same thing:

Firstly it's a myth to think that there are any "warehouses" with this stuff piled up. Microsoft doesn't even have any retail outlets here, and certainly no warehouse space or staff,or heating or lighting or security etc. Apple do this too, they make it, batch them up and then fly them over and send them to your house that day.

I've had a Macbook air which was due for release on Friday leave China the night before, Thursday at 11pm, fly to Stansted Airport (where almost all UK freight flights come into) and then go straight from the plane into a van and then to my house that Friday morning at 9am.

It doesn't make supply chain sense for businesses to keep huge depo's, when the people like UPS and FEDEX have literally thousands of freight flights every day all over the world. The supply chain is amazingly slick and when stuff starts happening, it starts happening! The only delay is ever in the factories, where Apple stuff has been held up for me before, and it's always strikes or raw material issues, never because they've "sold out" or didn't expect to sell so many. Not on the first day for pre-orders.

The one thing Microsoft is lacking here is communication. With Apple from the second you order something you know exactly what is happening and where it is, with the ability to trace every step. It's not that Microsoft doesn't care about it's sales outside the US, and is giving them our Surfaces first, because our Surfaces will have been made with different boxing and different plugs etc anyway, but it's that they don't have the agreement with the suppliers and their IT systems to link up parcel tracking or even issue useful tracking numbers for their store. But then again, this is to be expected because Microsoft is a software not a hardware company, and they don't yet appreciate the value of information on the supply chain to the customer.
    10-25-2012 07:36 PM
    My online statement shows that payment for my preorder was taken yesterday (25th) - still no communication or status changes to reflect this, but at least it's a sign of some movement with our orders...
    10-26-2012 02:49 AM
    Fingers crossed for delivery today!

Cyan and black touch covers are back in stock at the UK store too.
    10-26-2012 02:56 AM
750 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD