Surface Shipping Details (UK)

toekramp

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
That only works for US orders, you realise this is a thread for the UK?

I do realize this is a UK thread. However much of the concerns are identical to those in the States. And I would suspect that whatever carrier they are using over on your side of the pond has metadata attached to your shipment.

Tomerunlocks

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I do realize this is a UK thread. However much of the concerns are identical to those in the States. And I would suspect that whatever carrier they are using over on your side of the pond has metadata attached to your shipment.

Nope. The trick only works on US shipments. Both Canada and UK are unlucky. We don't have the MS prefix in our order numbers, nor do the references work on either site. Sucks :(

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
UK here.

I don't know why people are saying they saw that when ordering a message saying delivery from 26th to 30th, I never saw any such thing.

I filmed my order for a Youtube review I do of products I receive, and it clearly states at the Microsoft Store checkout:

"Preorder now to guarantee delivery on or BEFORE 26/10 to ensure receipt of product before official launch date"

I don't see how Microsoft could make it any more clear. These were supposed to be with us now, or tomorrow at the latest. LATEST.

I've had a conversation on Twitter with @Surface and @Microsoft, who've both told me that it will definitely be with me tomorrow at the latest, they even said that again a few mins ago.

I've also had the whole phone conversation thing with some lovely Mexicans, who told me 26th at latest, or definitely by date shown on bill too.

This 30th thing is new.

Also I can confirm they definitely don't deliver on weekends. I'll keep you guys updated as I progress.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My email says delivery by 26/10 but I am 99% certain when I placed the order it did say delivery by 30/10 which I took to mean it would be despatched tomorrow. Seems silly to wait till day of release to ship them.

xkxkxk

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Past midnight, so time for a conspiracy theory.

Who reckons the UK has been held up to make sure that the US was the first country to get them so all the news and blogging etc comes from there (and happens during US daytime hours)?

Just read a blog post (Cnet chap I think) saying he spoke to MS and the UK tablets are sat in a warehouse in the UK ready to be sent friday....

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Past midnight, so time for a conspiracy theory.

Nah, there's no conspiracies going on here. Microsoft will have made plenty anyway, it's probably just like Apple do all part of the hype machine.

My two pennys, which I know from when I've bought Apple things on release day before, and they send it from China, is that they do the exact same thing:

Firstly it's a myth to think that there are any "warehouses" with this stuff piled up. Microsoft doesn't even have any retail outlets here, and certainly no warehouse space or staff,or heating or lighting or security etc. Apple do this too, they make it, batch them up and then fly them over and send them to your house that day.

I've had a Macbook air which was due for release on Friday leave China the night before, Thursday at 11pm, fly to Stansted Airport (where almost all UK freight flights come into) and then go straight from the plane into a van and then to my house that Friday morning at 9am.

It doesn't make supply chain sense for businesses to keep huge depo's, when the people like UPS and FEDEX have literally thousands of freight flights every day all over the world. The supply chain is amazingly slick and when stuff starts happening, it starts happening! The only delay is ever in the factories, where Apple stuff has been held up for me before, and it's always strikes or raw material issues, never because they've "sold out" or didn't expect to sell so many. Not on the first day for pre-orders.

The one thing Microsoft is lacking here is communication. With Apple from the second you order something you know exactly what is happening and where it is, with the ability to trace every step. It's not that Microsoft doesn't care about it's sales outside the US, and is giving them our Surfaces first, because our Surfaces will have been made with different boxing and different plugs etc anyway, but it's that they don't have the agreement with the suppliers and their IT systems to link up parcel tracking or even issue useful tracking numbers for their store. But then again, this is to be expected because Microsoft is a software not a hardware company, and they don't yet appreciate the value of information on the supply chain to the customer.

Savagekitten

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
My online statement shows that payment for my preorder was taken yesterday (25th) - still no communication or status changes to reflect this, but at least it's a sign of some movement with our orders...

mattrees

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to seriously doubt that any of us in the UK will get our orders today.

MS will send out shipping confirmation e mails as they begin to ship and I haven't heard any UK people say they've had this e mail yet. So if we haven't even had shipping confirmation it sounds like the whole process is really lagging.

I'm certainly not going to wait in all day for a delivery that almost certainly will not come. That way madness lies!

Bigsro

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Slow progress

Well after speaking with MS UK customer support - who are always very helpful despite the language barrier being present at times ;-) I was assured that my Surface would arrive today.

No such luck I'm afraid although I have a small glimmer of hope a delivery card will be waiting for me when I finish work today...

I have just checked my credit card account online and there is a pending transaction for the Surface on there so it seems sometime in the last day or so the card has been charged.

Oh well...its getting closer I suppose :D

Robert RT

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
(GER) I know, not Uk, but it is exactly the same situation here.

I too spoke to the customer support today, but in german. They said nothing new, just that my order would be "in progress" as it is stated on the store homepage and they would be shipped from 25th to 30th october.

I will be waiting.

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
My email says delivery by 26/10 but I am 99% certain when I placed the order it did say delivery by 30/10 which I took to mean it would be despatched tomorrow. Seems silly to wait till day of release to ship them.

Ditto - I didn't take any screengrabs because I was struggling to even get my order through as I was in Ireland at the time, but one of the pages definitely had a line about delivery by the 30th. I chose to ignore when the invoice and email receipt all said 26th as the delivery date rather than shipping.

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I've just been told by support that mine won't be delivered today, which is what I expected as I only ordered on Tuesday (64GB model).

I was however told that any orders placed before 20th would be delivered Today, any after then would be in a week or at most two.

paolo lance

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I ordered Surface(32gb) and the cyan touchcover separately on 16th. This morning I checked my MS account, the status of the cover is boxed shipment and the tab is still pre-order boxed shipment? Does this mean I will receive my cover earlier? FUNNY MS. The payment for cover has also been charged from my bank account.

WasStoNed

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Got bored so called support, was told as I ordered on the 19th I should receive a tracking ref either today or sometime this weekend, with delivery on or before the 30th.

I need to rest now :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon