Surface Shipping Details (UK)

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I note that by this time yesterday, some people had started posting that their shipment had arrived, so far today, nothing. My guess is that a batch got delivered yesterday and the next batch is not yet available - probably the manufacturing plant(s) were unable to ramp up to meet the un-anticipated demand. I used to work in electronics Manufacturing for many years and the marketing people would invariably screw up their forecasts than blame the manufacturing and logistics people when demand outstripped supply (or when piles of unsold inventory were left over). I do hope I am wrong!!!

This whole mess proves 3 things to me:-

1) Microsoft are not a global company, they only understand the USA.

2) Microsoft are not set up to do retail hardware products from a demand planning and logistics standpoint.

3) Microsoft do not understand customer service - I run my own retail business now, I will not tolerate people being rude to customers (even if the customer is a PITA which some are!). Like my Grandad used to say, if you want to sell stuff you gotta smile while your taking peoples money!

SirTom

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who already received Surface - could you please write how big was the package? Is it just a little bit bigger then Surface itself or it is some ridiculous box?
thanks

bartekxyz

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who already received Surface - could you please write how big was the package? Is it just a little bit bigger then Surface itself or it is some ridiculous box?
thanks

I too would like to know what is weight and dimension of package because I want to forward shipment to other country without repacking.

rhocalcam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I had a chat with a fairly helpful customer service rep... here's the transcript I thought you'd like to see.

Ordered at 5:15pm on October 16th...

Privacy Statement You are now chatting with 'MSUK Rep'.
MSUK Rep: Thank you for contacting Microsoft Store Chat! How can I help you today?
Me: Hello, I am wondering if there is any update on the surfaces now...I haven’t received a shipped email and ordered on the 16th - looks like the money has been taken. I was promised multiple times it'd be delivered today. Can you help at all?
MSUK Rep: I would be glad to assist you with that.
Me: The order no. is xxxxxx
Me: Thanks
MSUK Rep: Thank you very much, I will search for it now.
MSUK Rep: Sir, I have your order in front of me.
Me: Ok
MSUK Rep: Could you please verify a few pieces of information first? Just so as to check the ownership of this order.
Me: no problem
MSUK Rep: Thank you.
MSUK Rep: Please confirm: your full name, the email address used for this purchase and your billing address.
Me: <Confirms>
MSUK Rep: Thank you very much for this information.
Me: not a problem
MSUK Rep: Sir, I see here that the payment has been authorized, but not yet charged. It will only be charged the moment the product is shipped from our warehouse.
MSUK Rep: As for the delay, we do apologize for this unpleasant situation.
MSUK Rep: I understand how it can be frustrating.
Me: I was promised multiple times by different people that it would be here by today...I have taken three days off work and cannot have any more
Me: this is very frustrating, yes
MSUK Rep: But I see here that an email has been sent to you announcing that you should receive it by the 2nd of November.
Me: Yes, but another email was sent afterwards saying I'd have it by the 26th
Me: It’s now the 30th
MSUK Rep: I understand. I would be upset in your situation too.
Me: What can be done?
Me: As I cant be here to receive the order, and I cant get to the depot
Me: as I've used my three days leave at work waiting here for it to arrive as promised
Me: can I have an upgrade to Saturday delivery?
MSUK Rep: Unfortunately, due to the really large number of requests for the Surface tablet and Windows 8, we have not managed to ship all of the orders in time. We are doing our best to solve this and deliver all the tablets as soon as possible.
MSUK Rep: Once again, we are terribly sorry for this.
Me: That's not good enough though is it, I ordered fifteen minutes after orders were open and I've not got one when others have who ordered after me
Me: I'm more frustrated that I've used time off work for no reason, waiting about in the house
MSUK Rep: If you would allow me just a few moments I can check my resources and consult with my supervisor to see if we have any new information.
Me: Thank you. I appreciate that
MSUK Rep: No problem, I will be right with you.
MSUK Rep: Thank you very much for your patience.
Me: No problem
MSUK Rep: I am sorry it took so long, was investigating a solution for this issue.
Me: That's great
MSUK Rep: Please allow me to present to you what I have found during this time.
MSUK Rep: Basically, we were expecting the tablets to be delivered until Wednesday, so there should be some time for it to arrive during today.
Me: Ok...
MSUK Rep: However, in order to assist you in case this would not happen today, I would suggest another solution.
MSUK Rep: I understand that you will not be available at your home address from tomorrow and you do not have another way of receiving it there anymore.
Me: That's right
MSUK Rep: What we can do in this situation would be to change the shipping address to your work one. That way, the surface will be delivered there, allowing you to receive it.
MSUK Rep: I will also open up a case for you and provide you with a reference number, in case there are further issues.
Me: I am unable to have things delivered to my work but I can see if there's somewhere else I can have it delivered
Me: That would be good MSUK Rep: That way, we will have knowledge about this the next time you contact us, should it be necessary.
MSUK Rep: Oh, ok.
MSUK Rep: Sir, in that case, I could create this reference number for you and send a follow up email. To this email, you could reply with the address that you wish to have the product delivered to.
MSUK Rep: Would you like that?
Me: Is there absolutely no way we can upgrade to a Saturday delivery? That would be best
Me: Yes I would like to do that please
MSUK Rep: I can check this, just a few questions please.
MSUK Rep: Sir, thank you for waiting.
Me: That's ok
MSUK Rep: Unfortunately, we are not sure that UPS delivers on Saturday too.
MSUK Rep: About the person whose shipping address you were going to provide, just to make sure there are no issues with the delivery, I need to ask you if they have the same surname as you.
Me: No they do not
Me: And UPS does deliver on Saturday but for a fee it says here! https://www.ups.com/uis/guest? loc=en_GB MSUK Rep: I'm just a bit worried because I don't want there to be any issues with UPS not wanting to give the package to them.
MSUK Rep: I see.
Me: I think after using three days of leave at work unnecessarily a small fee paid by Microsoft wouldn't be too much to ask?
Me: It really is the only option for me or I'm going to have to cancel
Me: I cannot have it delivered anywhere...my friends all work Monday-Friday 9-5. My partner's workplace cannot accept courier deliveries. Which is why I took one (Which ended up as three) days off work to accept it here at home
MSUK Rep: I do understand.
Me: And having being promised delivery before the 30th I didn't think we'd be in this situation - I'm sorry to rant to you but it is extremely frustrating
MSUK Rep: Once again, I am sorry for the situation.
MSUK Rep: Please allow me just a few moments more to check with my supervisor again and see what we can do.
Me: Thanks...
MSUK Rep:, I have checked every resource available. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to intervene so as to have the product delivered on Saturday, as the order is already in process.
MSUK Rep: However, please know that before UPS will deliver the product, they will probably contact you to know when you are available to receive it.
Me: ok
Me: well I guess there’s nothing that can be done then
Me: very disappointing...but thanks for trying
MSUK Rep: I am very sorry for this
Me: It is a real shame there has been such bad communication from Microsoft - a ?500 investment really deserves better respect towards customers Me: So there is nothing we can do then I guess I will just have to hope that it arrives when I am home from work after 4:30pm
Me: Which is unlikely, I expect the product will end up being sent back to Microsoft after multiple failed deliveries
MSUK Rep: I think you can ask UPS to have it delivered after 4:30, as you will receive an email with the tracking number when it is shipped.
MSUK Rep: It is unfortunate and I totally understand your frustration, but I still have faith that you will receive this package.
Me: well, thanks for your help
MSUK Rep: No problem, thank you for chatting with us.
MSUK Rep: And have a good day, sir.
Me: You too...bye
MSUK Rep: Thank you. Goodbye!

TL;DR - Just wait - there's nothing we can do.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Finally got to the bottom of my surface order.............they tried to charge me twice! So the bank stopped payment.

When I rang microsoft they denied it! Saying the bank refused payment when infact Microsoft still have "on hold" the first amount. Grrrrrr

So after getting p&@@:/d off for a day or so I have re-ordered............I just can't resist, bored with my ipad and the new google tablet just doesn't cut it for me, I had a galaxy tab 10.1 for a few days and the tablet version of android is rubbish.

So now to wait 3 weeks and even if they do try to charge again I have used a credit card that has a clear balance so plenty of cash in the pot so to speak!

I want nobody talking about it until then! ;)

hans.rahm

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This whole mess proves 3 things to me:-

1) Microsoft are not a global company, they only understand the USA.

2) Microsoft are not set up to do retail hardware products from a demand planning and logistics standpoint.

3) Microsoft do not understand customer service - I run my own retail business now, I will not tolerate people being rude to customers (even if the customer is a PITA which some are!). Like my Grandad used to say, if you want to sell stuff you gotta smile while your taking peoples money!

I’ve been reading this thread with interest. Ordered one in the 18th. Not received it yet (don’t actually know this as I’m at work at it’s being delivered at home (and then back to the depot!! Unless UPS are happy to leave it in the porch (fingerscrossed!)).

Have to say I’ve been through exactly all this before with the Nexus one phone when it was launched. Ordered one and then had to wait ages (felt like months!!) for it be processed shipped over from USA. Again spent time on forums like this one to see when I can expect arrival. What’s kinda funny is that all this heartache and head banging is immediately long forgotten as soon as you see that box :)

Just wanted to mention this, as it’s not only MS who are crappy at this sort of thing, and also you forget how crap they were once the goods arrive.

Really annoying news about people’s orders being cancelled. Would p*ss me off but I would still get a Surface-RT as it’s miles better than anything else.

Now back to impatiently rocking wildly!

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I remember the nexus 7 orders being delayed and then you could walk into a shop and buy it before people got pre-orders!

That's why I am re- ordering, I forgive your cancelling my order Microsoft! BUT DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone to support (again). Spoke to a nice lady, I felt really sorry for her, they clearly have no information and no idea what is going on. Basically my tablet may arrive today or in the next few days, who knows? Certainly not Microsoft!

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Still nothing here. I'm not going to be happy if the majority of people who pre-ordered are waiting later this week when they start opening up those Surface experiences, particularly the one down the street from my office.

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Still nothing here. I'm not going to be happy if the majority of people who pre-ordered are waiting later this week when they start opening up those Surface experiences, particularly the one down the street from my office.

I can't believe they would do that. When do they open?

To be honest I'm now resigned that my Surface will be arriving on the 2nd, this Friday. Anything earlier is a bonus. It says the 2nd on the Microsoft website with my order history, and I think the whole company is so split up that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Even if one section wants another to do something, it simply wont happen. It's clearly showing the 2nd for a reason, and whoever made that reason is clearly unable to change it.

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

To be honest I'm now resigned that my Surface will be arriving on the 2nd, this Friday. Anything earlier is a bonus. It says the 2nd on the Microsoft website with my order history, and I think the whole company is so split up that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Even if one section wants another to do something, it simply wont happen. It's clearly showing the 2nd for a reason, and whoever made that reason is clearly unable to change it.

Interesting, the list of London locations has been removed. Blues Kitchen in Camden was scheduled to be running one later this week from what I recall, either 30th October or 1st November start.

The WPCentral story has a screengrab of the London location [dates were only visible when you clicked on them] Microsoft opening up Surface Experience Centres for consumers to 'experience Surface in person' | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

but the site now looks like: Surface Experience Centers

I think the dates were not simultaneous but rather brief 2-3 day engagements and then it moved on to the next, so maybe they were going to re-use the same demo units and postponing these didn't free up too many Surfaces for orders...who knows!

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I think you hit the nail on the head, the second is likely driven by the output forecast from the factory which they might chip a day off, but no more than that.

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Gone midday now and nobody has posted getting one today, I reckon they shipped whatever they had yesterday. Wait for new stock now

Ganondolf

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Just had a text from my bro. My Surface has arrived.

Ordered on the 16th

Im on the Isle of Wight.

I have not had a dispached email.

MS Store still says "In Process"

Money still frozen but not taken.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster