Surface Shipping Details (UK)

chicaguapa

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like they might be arriving late today then. If everyone eventually gets their Surface today, be sure to come back on and recognise that Microsoft has probably been flat out trying to sort out their logistical nightmare of getting all the pre-orders delivered. They probably had to pay DHL a fair wack to pick up the slack from UPS and send them same day delivery. I don't think I would have liked to have had that job today!

rhocalcam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Considering it is suppose to be DHL Same Day that is delivering the Surface you should probably try their number (0844 248 0009)

Oops. Thanks.

it is 0844 248 0999

She wouldn't help me as I didn't have the senders account reference or a tracking no....As if I'm going to be able to get a account holders ref off Microsoft now...Best just to sit it out and wait, hoping for the best.

Good luck all

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The more I think about it the more this DHL thing makes sense. DHL is a German company, and the Germans are crying out for their Surface devices too, so it makes sense for Microsoft to choose them to pick up the slack that UPS couldn't do.

I think in my head I've worked out what went on at Microsoft, and it makes sense.

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Are you going to share this?

OK so I think looking at all the available evidence and rumours it goes like this:

- Microsoft announces Surface device, plans launch and makes agreements with suppliers for delivery from China based on estimated pre-order and launch sales.

- Microsoft opens pre-ordering worldwide on 16th October

- Pre-ordering goes crazy, in Europe Microsoft gets 600,000 pre-orders, compared to the 50,000 it estimated to have.

- UPS who Microsoft had made an arrangement with to deliver the estimation of 50,000 pre-orders freaks. It's a patriotic US delivery company, with close ties to Microsoft and Apple, and normally handles high profile deliveries for them, but has nowhere near the capacity in Europe to deal with 600,000 orders at once.

- UPS agrees to do the initial 50,000 orders that it agreed and was paid by Microsoft to do, but says it can't handle the remaining 550,000 orders (91.7%). On the Surface launch day, Friday 26th October and after the weekend, Monday 29th October, that 50,000 (8.3%) of lucky European and UK customers get their surface as planned. Microsoft panics too because it realises the remaining bulk of the customers have no chance of getting their surface for launch day, so gives out ?50 vouchers all round.

- Microsoft desperately needs to get the remaining 91.7% of Surfaces shipped, and fast, so it looks at couriers who have a large presence in the two main EU markets, UK and Germany, who have their own aircraft to get these things from China and distributed in 24 hours. It chooses DHL, a German company with huge presence in the UK.

- Microsoft arranges for DHL to perform the delivery and get the job done.

- Microsoft never uses UPS ever again. (wishful thinking? :p).

rhocalcam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes that sounds completely plausible! This is more fun than a game of Murder Mystery! I'm thinking (and hoping) we'll all start to receive our Surfaces in the next few hours. If they flew in to Heathrow as a 'southern hub' I guess delivery times is somewhat related to how far away you are from Heathrow?...

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes that sounds completely plausible! This is more fun than a game of Murder Mystery! I'm thinking (and hoping) we'll all start to receive our Surfaces in the next few hours. If they flew in to Heathrow as a 'southern hub' I guess delivery times is somewhat related to how far away you are from Heathrow?...

Most couriers including DHL use Stansted as the southern hub, especially from China.

bartekxyz

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Friend called 30 minutes ago that my surface arrived. Tommorow he is going to send it to me(Poland) and I hope to put my hands on Sufrace by the end of friday. China->UK->Poland... That's some travel

St0rment

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Dhl SameDay

Does anyone know when DHL deliver too presuming the dhl rumours are true? I know it's meant to be 24hours but presumably they won't be knocking on doors at 3am?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss