x86 vs Tegra 3 while in pure Metro, what is faster?

Daniel0418

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am not as concerned about legacy apps as most people, I don't mind using just Metro. My question is this, Is an x86 processor like the dual core Atom processor in the Acer W510 faster than the Tegra 3 coming in the Surface RT? Which one will the Metro interface perform better in? Does anyone know or have thoughts on this? I don't mind using an ARM processor, but I do prefer not to have any lag while using my tablet. So I want to buy whatever one will work better at the most affordable price while using Metro only.

x86 vs ARM while in metro. Thoughts?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I played with the Lenovo Yoga x86 hybrid and the Asus Vivo RT. On both I loaded up a bunch of apps. Then I kept switching apps faster and faster and faster. The RT did lag a bit when I was switching from app to app to app really fast. The x86 was smooth as butter.

I will say that the Yoga is pretty powerful. It's not a little Atom powered device.

But I could at least conclude that the processor made a difference on the RT side. The RT tablet wasn't slow, even though it was slower than the x86. And in real life I wouldn't be swiping continuously that fast. The difference wasn't huge. So with an Atom vs RT the difference will be considerably smaller.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The atom is a faster chip, and gives you x86 capability, but if your not bothered about that, then go for the tablet you like the most with the best battery life as that will affect your experience the most..

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am not as concerned about legacy apps as most people, I don't mind using just Metro. My question is this, Is an x86 processor like the dual core Atom processor in the Acer W510 faster than the Tegra 3 coming in the Surface RT? Which one will the Metro interface perform better in? Does anyone know or have thoughts on this? I don't mind using an ARM processor, but I do prefer not to have any lag while using my tablet. So I want to buy whatever one will work better at the most affordable price while using Metro only.

x86 vs ARM while in metro. Thoughts?

If you were discussing an I5 or even an I3 vs Tegra 3 there would be no comparison. I have, however, yet to encounter an Atom processor that was worth much of anything. Keep in in mind that the Atom processor is also loading the full version of Windows 8, not Windows RT. It is carrying a lot more overhead.

Daniel0418

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far guys. Yeah I definitely know the i3/5/7 processors will be faster for sure. The Atom processors I am not quite as sure. @winningguy Do you know if the RT tablet you played with had the Tegra 30L? There are 3 different Tegra 3 chips. 1.3ghz, 1.5ghz, and 1.6ghz/1.7ghz processors on them. I assume it had 2GB of RAM as well since most the tegra3 powered Windows 8/RT devices have 2GB.

I really just despise lag, and want to know if using Metro with an Atom would be faster than the Tegra 3. The processors I am most curious about are

Tegra 30L vs Intel Atom processor - 1.8GHz dual-core Z2760 CPU <- This is the processor in the W510

I assume the Atom is. It is clocked higher. But it is only Dual core, it does have to run Full windows which will be more intense, and I don't know what the Atom GPU is liek compared to something like Tegra 3.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ya, I think it depends on what x86 processor you are talking about. An Atom or low end AMD probably will, at best, run about the same as a Tegra, and likely be slower. A Core iX series processor will just blow the Tegra out of the water though. So if your question is "If I buy the best Tegra tablet and the best x86 tablet, which will be faster?", then the answer is x86, but if your question is "I have $599 to spend, will the Surface RT/Vivo RT or the Atom packing IdeaTab Lynx/Iconia W510 be faster?", then we have to speculate as neither has been reviewed or bench marked, but I'd put a 5 spot on the Tegra equiped RT tablets outperforming the Atome equiped Windows 8 tabs. Its a question of do you want to do less, but do it better, or do more but only do it okay

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
In case you didn't see it yet, Anandtech talks about the tegra 3 vs atom (clovertrail).

AnandTech - Microsoft Surface Review

"On the user experience side alone, the Clovertrail tablet is noticeably quicker than Surface. Surface isn?t slow by any means, but had it used Atom hardware it would?ve been even more responsive."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077