Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

10-28-2012 08:25 PM
162 ... 4567
tools
    Because I know Apple did extensive ergonomic studies and that's why they adopted the 4:3 form factor. I know from my own iPad usage that it's "just right" and wider/taller would be epic FAIL.
    LOL so because apple did ergonomic studies unless everyone uese the same form factor their devices are obviously ergonomically inferior and incorrect?

You sound like a troll with that comment....
    10-25-2012 05:59 PM
    4:3 wouldve been an utter fail for what Surface tries to be. It might be superior for a pure tablet, but thats not what Surface is or tries to be.
    10-25-2012 06:01 PM
    I find it funny that the NY Times reviewer dinged the Surface for not having notable apps, including the NY Times which is launching tomorrow at release. More and more apps are hitting the store and I am still excited. The reviewers who talk about not supporting legacy apps are IMHO dumb, why would i want legacy hardware on a tablet. Freaking SWTOR was more than 10GB and thats before all the patches and updates!

I am more than sure that all intuit programs will find themselves available in metro style soon enough
    10-25-2012 06:34 PM
    I find it funny that the NY Times reviewer dinged the Surface for not having notable apps, including the NY Times which is launching tomorrow at release. More and more apps are hitting the store and I am still excited. The reviewers who talk about not supporting legacy apps are IMHO dumb, why would i want legacy hardware on a tablet. Freaking SWTOR was more than 10GB and thats before all the patches and updates!

I am more than sure that all intuit programs will find themselves available in metro style soon enough
    exactly! Like its the same Store thats going to be available on the most popular operating system in the world! Its going to surpass every other marketplace in existence in no time! (in terms of number of quality QUALITY apps!)
    10-25-2012 06:38 PM
    Originally Posted by Oldmajor

exactly! Like its the same Store thats going to be available on the most popular operating system in the world! Its going to surpass every other marketplace in existence in no time! (in terms of number of quality QUALITY apps!)
    I agree with these sentiments. I have always thought that the apps would be there, I was actually surprised to see how many fairly(maybe, idk what constitutes a big name app) big name apps were released for Win8 today. Very encouraging and needed to happen.

Thanks

-Doc
    10-25-2012 07:29 PM
    I thought MS said any WP7 app could run on wp8 or win8 metro. And any app designed for win8 metro could run on RT. Did something change or am I not remembering correctly?
    Almost...

WP7 apps will run on WP8, but not the other way around (*).
    Modern apps are identical for W8 and WRT. The same app will run on both OS' (**).
    Modern apps WILL NOT run on WP8, and the other way around won't work either (***).

(*) apparently a small number of exceptions exist where the WP7 app will not run on WP8
    (**) identical means the source code is identical. The binary files you download from the app store will differ depending on whether you've got an ARM or an x86 device.
    (***) some differences exist. Porting a modern app to WP8 will require the developer to redesign parts of the UI and strip out some functionality only available on WRT. Testing the two different "flavors" of the same app will probably end up being much more time consuming than adapting the source code.

With the exception of (*), this is how Microsoft has always explained it.

Because I know Apple did extensive ergonomic studies and that's why they adopted the 4:3 form factor. I know from my own iPad usage that it's "just right" and wider/taller would be epic FAIL.
    As others have already stated, the Surface isn't intended to be a pure tablet. Just the requirement to snap on a keyboard already necessitates a somewhat wider device. Add to that Windows RT's ability to run multiple apps simultaneously side-by-side (the best multitasking implementation on any tablet), and the wider aspect ratio makes even more sense. This is a great example of form following function... just the way it should be.

Finally, until every human on earth is of identical size, weight and build, there is no such thing as a universally ergonomic device. Apple's "studies" on the perfect tablet size (4:3) are not studies... it's called marketing. If Apple ever decides they need a device that can more closely compete with the Surface, then they will redefine 15:9 as the perfect aspect ratio. It's how Apple works... it's how they've always worked.
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-25-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
    10-25-2012 08:42 PM
    The Surface had not yet been released and reviewed. There was no reason to suspect that a machine 1/4 the weight of my Lenovo and 1/4 the size would nonetheless still suffer from the same handling issues.
    Many pundits have said for a while that they are finding the original 9.7" iPad form factor slightly unwieldy after using the Nexus 7. Those are the kinds of people you are dealing with when reading these reviews. These are people who fell in love with the 9.7". Apple is still shipping tens of millions of 9.7" iPads to happy consumers, but those pundits have changed their minds. Their opinions are in no way indicative of how bad of an issue something is.

I carry around my laptop a bit. To think the Surface RT would be a bother to use in comparison is insane.
    10-25-2012 09:20 PM
    Ha! Tim Cook has weighed in on the Surface and has called it "compromising and confusing", but wait! His opinion is based on what he's read - he hasn't seen or touched the device. What an *****. Basically he said, "It's not Apple, so it's poop."

Here's a tip Timmy - stick to what you're good at - engaging in frivolous law suits that make your company look like a petulant child.

Tim Cook says Microsoft Surface is compromised, confusing | iMore.com
    Last edited by crystal_planet; 10-25-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    10-25-2012 10:24 PM
    Ha! Tim Cook has weighed in on the Surface and has called it "compromising and confusing", but wait! His opinion is based on what he's read - he hasn't seen or touched the device. What an *****. Basically he said, "It's not Apple, so it's poop."
    Yep default answer, but I have a feeling deep down he's feeling the heat.
    10-26-2012 12:09 AM
    Go read anandtech's review - it's by far the most detailed and it's pretty positive. And some of the "issues" mentioned here did not come up in their much more in depth review - like performance and battery life.
    10-26-2012 02:28 AM
    Tim Cook is an absolute tool for dissing the Surface without using it. Apparently Apple believes only their products are usable, everything else is crap to them.
    10-26-2012 02:53 AM
    Tim Cook is an absolute tool for dissing the Surface without using it. Apparently Apple believes only their products are usable, everything else is crap to them.
    Wouldn't you SAY the same thing if you owned the direct competing company? How is he a tool for that?
    10-26-2012 03:01 AM
    Yep default answer, but I have a feeling deep down he's feeling the heat.
    yeah especially after no one actually knows what the mini ipad is for... and earning have been dropping.
    10-26-2012 04:05 AM
    Go read anandtech's review - it's by far the most detailed and it's pretty positive. And some of the "issues" mentioned here did not come up in their much more in depth review - like performance and battery life.
    Good review, seems well balanced; all the more reason not to get it though. It needs further refinement, but could be 'the' tablet in a year or two.

I'm interested in the intel atom based tablet, because it seems faster than Tegra 3.

Lftl: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6385/m...surface-review
    10-26-2012 05:15 AM
    Good review, seems well balanced; all the more reason not to get it though. It needs further refinement, but could be 'the' tablet in a year or two.

I'm interested in the intel atom based tablet, because it seems faster than Tegra 3.

Lftl: AnandTech - Microsoft Surface Review
    atom seems faster but so far the pricing in the uk/germany /france for the asus viva tab seems a lot more expensive than the surface and not available.
    650 without keyboard is way too much.
    10-26-2012 06:02 AM
    Just found this. Wow. Absurd. 5 pages of it to boot.

Three days in the life of a once and former Microsoft Surface RT user | ZDNet

Thanks

-Doc
    10-26-2012 08:38 AM
    atom seems faster but so far the pricing in the uk/germany /france for the asus viva tab seems a lot more expensive than the surface and not available.
    650 without keyboard is way too much.
    Its a PRO device, not RT. Now, compare it to a Surface Pro Price and tell me its "way too much".
    10-26-2012 08:44 AM

Thanks

-Doc
    Like it has been brought up many times before, I guess the chance for confusion for a normal customer is valid, but when that is his biggest disappointment with the device, it means that I'm still gonna be satisfied with it :D
    10-26-2012 08:47 AM

Thanks

-Doc
    Holy crap that was a totally biased and uninformed story of some idiots view of what "could" happen with surface rt. Right on the box it says this will not run other desktop software.
    10-26-2012 09:00 AM

Thanks

-Doc
    WOW is right. I love the part where he would take it back and just buy an IPad which also doesn't do what he wants for exact same price but it has Angry birds hmmm doesn't the surface also have angry birds?

It seems like a lot of people are scared that the Surface will do well. I see this as a good thing for all tablets if surface does well. We will see better competition and a less stagnate market for Tablets.

CoopII
    10-26-2012 09:11 AM

Thanks

-Doc
    That's also the ***** that posted "Five things that confuse me about Surface Tablet"

***Dumpster***
    10-26-2012 09:17 AM
    Need to stop posting links to rubbish, there are plenty of well written reviews (well 2, anandtech's and arstechnica's), no need to help these guys with their click count.
    10-26-2012 09:34 AM
    I don't get it... No Outlook? No Silverlight? No SkyDrive (really??)... Why is that so, are they saving the good (and essential) stuff for the full-blown WIN 8 Surface ?
    10-26-2012 02:51 PM
    Microsoft Surface gets the thumbs down in early reviews | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Verdicts published overnight in the US, the first from journalists to have tested Surface at home, have praised its touchscreen interface but slated the machine for poor resolution, being too heavy, using substandard cameras, and having a narrow selection of apps which are prone to crashing.
    10-26-2012 02:56 PM
    Wow, that's not even an accurate statement of what many of the reviews said. THat is some lazy reporting. I swear that some in the tech industry want MS to fail. THey haven't gotten over their "hating MS is cool" nonsense from a decade ago.
    10-26-2012 02:59 PM
162 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD