Surface Reviews Thread

blackprince

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Mike20PR

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
What has me worried about most Surface reviews is the performance side of things, quite a few reviewers complain of sluggishness, stutteryness, etc. Is the processor too slow or RT too demanding? I dont know how Microsoft would allow this on their own branded Tablet. Could have used a Snapdragon S4 Pro then if Tegra 3 was not strong enough. I WAS gonna buy on day one, but now not sure, and it bums me out since I wanted Microsofts own branded product to go with my XBox and Lumia 920 (which is as close as it gets lol)

Apps for me is a non issue since its a first release and it will arrive and honestly I dont want legacy support on the Surface because I want Metro/Modern look and feel all the time which is RT's goal I believe, as long as it has Office, Im good

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The problem I'm seeing with a lot of these reviews is that a lot of the writers are starting with the mindset that Microsoft is new to the game so they will automatically be releasing an iffy product.

With Apple products the reviews feel like they start with 100% and then take off a few points here and there for any issues. With MS and other products it seems that they start at 0% and work their way up.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The problem I'm seeing with a lot of these reviews is that a lot of the writers are starting with the mindset that Microsoft is new to the game so they will automatically be releasing an iffy product.

With Apple products the reviews feel like they start with 100% and then take off a few points here and there for any issues. With MS and other products it seems that they start at 0% and work their way up.

Well said. I was trying to say that on the previous page in 3 paragraphs. ;)

Thanks

-Doc

will25u

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Most reviewers were knocking on the number of apps. There was a surge of apps after the launch event and I see more promising selections now except the games and also the prices of those games are expensive like 9.99 for some. I hope the prices go lower to around 4.99.

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Because I know Apple did extensive ergonomic studies and that's why they adopted the 4:3 form factor. I know from my own iPad usage that it's "just right" and wider/taller would be epic FAIL.

LOL so because apple did ergonomic studies unless everyone uese the same form factor their devices are obviously ergonomically inferior and incorrect?

You sound like a troll with that comment....

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
4:3 wouldve been an utter fail for what Surface tries to be. It might be superior for a pure tablet, but thats not what Surface is or tries to be.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I find it funny that the NY Times reviewer dinged the Surface for not having notable apps, including the NY Times which is launching tomorrow at release. More and more apps are hitting the store and I am still excited. The reviewers who talk about not supporting legacy apps are IMHO dumb, why would i want legacy hardware on a tablet. Freaking SWTOR was more than 10GB and thats before all the patches and updates!

I am more than sure that all intuit programs will find themselves available in metro style soon enough

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I find it funny that the NY Times reviewer dinged the Surface for not having notable apps, including the NY Times which is launching tomorrow at release. More and more apps are hitting the store and I am still excited. The reviewers who talk about not supporting legacy apps are IMHO dumb, why would i want legacy hardware on a tablet. Freaking SWTOR was more than 10GB and thats before all the patches and updates!

I am more than sure that all intuit programs will find themselves available in metro style soon enough
exactly! Like its the same Store thats going to be available on the most popular operating system in the world! Its going to surpass every other marketplace in existence in no time! (in terms of number of quality QUALITY apps!)

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by Oldmajor

exactly! Like its the same Store thats going to be available on the most popular operating system in the world! Its going to surpass every other marketplace in existence in no time! (in terms of number of quality QUALITY apps!)

I agree with these sentiments. I have always thought that the apps would be there, I was actually surprised to see how many fairly(maybe, idk what constitutes a big name app) big name apps were released for Win8 today. Very encouraging and needed to happen.

Thanks

-Doc

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I thought MS said any WP7 app could run on wp8 or win8 metro. And any app designed for win8 metro could run on RT. Did something change or am I not remembering correctly?

Almost...

WP7 apps will run on WP8, but not the other way around (*).
Modern apps are identical for W8 and WRT. The same app will run on both OS' (**).
Modern apps WILL NOT run on WP8, and the other way around won't work either (***).

(*) apparently a small number of exceptions exist where the WP7 app will not run on WP8
(**) identical means the source code is identical. The binary files you download from the app store will differ depending on whether you've got an ARM or an x86 device.
(***) some differences exist. Porting a modern app to WP8 will require the developer to redesign parts of the UI and strip out some functionality only available on WRT. Testing the two different "flavors" of the same app will probably end up being much more time consuming than adapting the source code.

With the exception of (*), this is how Microsoft has always explained it.

Because I know Apple did extensive ergonomic studies and that's why they adopted the 4:3 form factor. I know from my own iPad usage that it's "just right" and wider/taller would be epic FAIL.

As others have already stated, the Surface isn't intended to be a pure tablet. Just the requirement to snap on a keyboard already necessitates a somewhat wider device. Add to that Windows RT's ability to run multiple apps simultaneously side-by-side (the best multitasking implementation on any tablet), and the wider aspect ratio makes even more sense. This is a great example of form following function... just the way it should be.

Finally, until every human on earth is of identical size, weight and build, there is no such thing as a universally ergonomic device. Apple's "studies" on the perfect tablet size (4:3) are not studies... it's called marketing. If Apple ever decides they need a device that can more closely compete with the Surface, then they will redefine 15:9 as the perfect aspect ratio. It's how Apple works... it's how they've always worked.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The Surface had not yet been released and reviewed. There was no reason to suspect that a machine 1/4 the weight of my Lenovo and 1/4 the size would nonetheless still suffer from the same handling issues.
Many pundits have said for a while that they are finding the original 9.7" iPad form factor slightly unwieldy after using the Nexus 7. Those are the kinds of people you are dealing with when reading these reviews. These are people who fell in love with the 9.7". Apple is still shipping tens of millions of 9.7" iPads to happy consumers, but those pundits have changed their minds. Their opinions are in no way indicative of how bad of an issue something is.

I carry around my laptop a bit. To think the Surface RT would be a bother to use in comparison is insane.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Ha! Tim Cook has weighed in on the Surface and has called it "compromising and confusing", but wait! His opinion is based on what he's read - he hasn't seen or touched the device. What an idiot. Basically he said, "It's not Apple, so it's poop."

Here's a tip Timmy - stick to what you're good at - engaging in frivolous law suits that make your company look like a petulant child.

Tim Cook says Microsoft Surface is compromised, confusing | iMore.com

Last edited:

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Ha! Tim Cook has weighed in on the Surface and has called it "compromising and confusing", but wait! His opinion is based on what he's read - he hasn't seen or touched the device. What an idiot. Basically he said, "It's not Apple, so it's poop."

Yep default answer, but I have a feeling deep down he's feeling the heat.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Go read anandtech's review - it's by far the most detailed and it's pretty positive. And some of the "issues" mentioned here did not come up in their much more in depth review - like performance and battery life.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Tim Cook is an absolute tool for dissing the Surface without using it. Apparently Apple believes only their products are usable, everything else is crap to them.

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Tim Cook is an absolute tool for dissing the Surface without using it. Apparently Apple believes only their products are usable, everything else is crap to them.

Wouldn't you SAY the same thing if you owned the direct competing company? How is he a tool for that?

anotherhawkeye

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Go read anandtech's review - it's by far the most detailed and it's pretty positive. And some of the "issues" mentioned here did not come up in their much more in depth review - like performance and battery life.

Good review, seems well balanced; all the more reason not to get it though. It needs further refinement, but could be 'the' tablet in a year or two.

I'm interested in the intel atom based tablet, because it seems faster than Tegra 3.

Lftl: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6385/microsoft-surface-review

jeromem75

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Good review, seems well balanced; all the more reason not to get it though. It needs further refinement, but could be 'the' tablet in a year or two.

I'm interested in the intel atom based tablet, because it seems faster than Tegra 3.

Lftl: AnandTech - Microsoft Surface Review
atom seems faster but so far the pricing in the uk/germany /france for the asus viva tab seems a lot more expensive than the surface and not available.
650? without keyboard is way too much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss