Surface HD video out is just Micro-HDMI?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It seems most of us thought this was some proprietary port that required their official adapter, but looking at the leaked pcmag review;

"Microsoft calls it a "Micro HD" port and sells a Micro HD-to-HDMI port adapter ($39.99 list), as well as a Micro HD-to-VGA adapter ($39.99 list). However, when we hooked up an off the shelf micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable to the Surface, we were able to hook up to and use a HDMI monitor without any issues. The Surface supports extending Windows RT to the external screen, as well as mirroring the tablet's screen on the external display."

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I got worried too that I'll be milked out of several dozen euros just for some lame adapter but thank god thats not the case! Given, it's still micro-HDMI, but I have an adapter for that from my N8 :)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Did they though? All they said was that it would require an adapter. They never stated it was proprietary.

From the cable's description:

Designed for Surface with Windows RT, this proprietary HD Digital AV Adapter lets you connect your device to any HDMI-compatible display (HDTV, monitor, or projector) and stream movies, play video games, and watch slideshows in high definition.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The RT has micro HDMI, the Pro DisplayPort.

Pretty sure RT won't do multiple monitor setup while the Pro will, it was said during the presentation the Pro will allow higher res from the DisplayPort.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The RT has micro HDMI, the Pro DisplayPort.

Pretty sure RT won't do multiple monitor setup while the Pro will

It does. In the pulled PCMag review, they also stated you can do extended or cloned displays on the RT:

The Surface supports extending Windows RT to the external screen, as well as mirroring the tablet's screen on the external display. This means you can use the Surface in a dual-monitor configuration, just like a desktop or laptop.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I got tons of these laying around from my gfx cards! SUPA HAPPY! This may just be able to replace my laptop!

Haha glad u said that, I was about to buy a cable on amazon but u reminded me that I have 4 of them from nvidia cards laying around lol. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss