Surface form factor is a failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's too wide to use the virtual keyboard so you have to use the Touch/Type cover. So the argument that the keyboard was optional is a lie.

It's too wide to hold it properly in landscape mode. It's too tall to hold it properly in portrait mode.

All this makes me think that someone at Microsoft thought that 1366x768 laptop screen would make an excellent tablet and did NO ergonomic testing at all.

Believe me as soon as people try this in stores they will shake their heads and buy something else.

Tomerunlocks

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I saw you posted this in the other thread, and I know you want to get your opinion out (hence forum), but to be honest, I think it's just fine. Sure, it's not like other tablets, but so what? It's not like everything has to be the same. Companies always try to venture out. Whether it fails, we'll see. But so far, my pre-order is still up, and I don't plan on cancelling it. From the several video reviews I've seen from all the tech blogs, it seemed just fine to me.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow, so the guy who never has anything positive to say about Windows Phone products comes out and tells us that the Surface form factor causes it to be a failure. Your act is getting old.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It's too wide to use the virtual keyboard so you have to use the Touch/Type cover. So the argument that the keyboard was optional is a lie.

It's too wide to hold it properly in landscape mode. It's too tall to hold it properly in portrait mode.

All this makes me think that someone at Microsoft thought that 1366x768 laptop screen would make an excellent tablet and did NO ergonomic testing at all.

Believe me as soon as people try this in stores they will shake their heads and buy something else.

We get it. You have the hands of an infant child.

Go get your iPad mini.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
They picked that form factor to optimize multi-tasking. If you go with a smaller screen, when you have two apps open, it becomes too cramped, if you go larger, it is simply unusable.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

It is optional. There should be a touch screen keyboard there for accessibility purposes. Nobody has a gun to your head.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

What a worthless post. How is it too wide to hold in landscape? It is DESIGNED to be used in landscape, and the Windows 8 gestures support that.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
The split keyboard option is there for sure in Win8. I've been using the RTM release since it hit the MSDN site and it's there. Not positive about Win RT, but I'd be surprised if it's not there too.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The Surface has what i consider to be the greatest form factor and near perfect design. Honestly what they did with it impresses me. I would never have expected such an amazing design from anybody but microsoft! I mean even the Zune HD was an incredible design!

paru123

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

I know I read that somewhere.. yeah I remember in the verge review of the surface...
There is nothing wrong in sharing your opinion but share yours.. don't blindly pass someone else's opinion as yours..

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, if its any indication, the techcrunch & gizmodo reviewers said the same things (as did the NY Times I believe). After watching the videos & looking at the photos of it in real world use, I tend to agree. Portrait mode looks to be incredibly awkward. Which is probably why the Windows key is in landscape mode.

I'm not saying its a bad device. The build & attention to detail looks to be top notch. But it clearly wasn't meant to be a standalone device to be used without the attached keyboard. So I now think of it more like a laptop screen with a detachable keyboard, with touch elements.

Thats all well & good, but IMO you'd be better to just go with a regular laptop. Its cheaper & you'd actually get the benefit of the full Windows OS, instead of just RT (which is sorely lacking in apps).

So I think the Surface RT is a good concept device, but thats really all. Which is probably why they aren't selling it in any mainstream way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss