Got My Surface RT Early!!!!!!!

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
So I got my Surface RT from UPS a day early. It was waiting for me when I got home. My touch cover however didn't get here yet.

So for those of you wondering what it's like using the on-screen keyboards, I wrote a review of my experience with it so far and I'll be posting a video tomorrow:
First Impressions Microsoft Surface RT without Touch Cover

Enjoy, and this thing really is a nice piece of machine :)

Last edited:

Mike20PR

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I would like more feedback on performance since i have seen a lot of comments on stutteryness and/or lag. This concerns me and kinda has me rethinking my purchase. Any more in depth experience with overall performance would be appreciated

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I would like more feedback on performance since i have seen a lot of comments on stutteryness and/or lag. This concerns me and kinda has me rethinking my purchase. Any more in depth experience with overall performance would be appreciated

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

If you've used an iPad or an Android tablet like the Nexus 7, they all have a similar lag after you're running several apps. It's the tegra processor since RAM usage is fairly low, but CPU usage is high even with just office running. Still, it hasn't been an actual usage problem other than you see it stutter when flicking new apps in.

I will do a more in-depth review after i have time with it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
okay now whenever you get a new product you always get an immediate feeling of "this is better than I thought omg" or "this is exactly how I pictured it would be" and "not quite what I imagined, I just gotta get used to it, let it grow on me"

Be honest, which did you feel?

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
okay now whenever you get a new product you always get an immediate feeling of "this is better than I thought omg" or "this is exactly how I pictured it would be" and "not quite what I imagined, I just gotta get used to it, let it grow on me"

Be honest, which did you feel?

Once I have the keyboard, I'll do a comparison. Right now it's like I thought it would be but truth be told, I see a lot of people not feeling comfortable with the gestures right off the bat. I think it would've been wise to include some gesture information on the clear protective plastic so you can get a good hint of it before opening it up.

I know that when I get the touch cover I will think it's better than I expected because right off the bat, I can tell you now this thing will fit on my lap with the kickstand out and touch cover on. I don't know why the other review sites were saying that wasn't the case. I have room to spare.

If you like my blog posts and reviews, please share them with the world and add me on G+ if you've got one: https://plus.google.com/b/102935947596546074575/102935947596546074575/

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Once I have the keyboard, I'll do a comparison. Right now it's like I thought it would be but truth be told, I see a lot of people not feeling comfortable with the gestures right off the bat. I think it would've been wise to include some gesture information on the clear protective plastic so you can get a good hint of it before opening it up.

I know that when I get the touch cover I will think it's better than I expected because right off the bat, I can tell you now this thing will fit on my lap with the kickstand out and touch cover on. I don't know why the other review sites were saying that wasn't the case. I have room to spare.

If you like my blog posts and reviews, please share them with the world and add me on G+ if you've got one: https://plus.google.com/b/102935947596546074575

That's Google+ link is busted.

kennethkryger

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Change Language?

I was wondering if you can check, if it's possible change the language (both UI and keyboard) on the Surface RT? I live in a country where the Surface RT isn't launched right now, but I dying to get my hands on one :)

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
That's Google+ link is busted.
Thanks, updated

Kenneth, I posted a reply to your comment in my blog. But basically you can change the keyboard to anything, but the display language is set to only English. So any/all text in Windows will show up as English.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Used both a touch and type keyboard today, and I can say I'm incredibly impressed with how easy it was for me to get used to the touch cover after 5 mins. It still felt odd, like typing on a flat table, but I think the 5-day thing might actually be accurate and I could really get used to it (wasn't uncomfortable, just... different).

The type cover was pretty cool, but it just felt really weird when folded back and holding the device in hand like a tablet - enough that I'm gonna stick with the touch cover and maybe (maybe) get a type cover to keep in the bag for long typing sessions.

Also, the lag / stuttering didn't seem to be happening on any of the (many) devices on display for use at the MS store tonight, and I tried quite a few of them. I'm wondering if this was a problem with the units given to the press, maybe?

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Used both a touch and type keyboard today, and I can say I'm incredibly impressed with how easy it was for me to get used to the touch cover after 5 mins. It still felt odd, like typing on a flat table, but I think the 5-day thing might actually be accurate and I could really get used to it (wasn't uncomfortable, just... different).

The type cover was pretty cool, but it just felt really weird when folded back and holding the device in hand like a tablet - enough that I'm gonna stick with the touch cover and maybe (maybe) get a type cover to keep in the bag for long typing sessions.

Also, the lag / stuttering didn't seem to be happening on any of the (many) devices on display for use at the MS store tonight, and I tried quite a few of them. I'm wondering if this was a problem with the units given to the press, maybe?

Maybe they didn't update Windows or the Apps. It runs much smoother after doing both (though time consuming).

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Can you check out some things:

* how often do the apps crash(first party & 3rd party)

* when you close the touch cover to turn off the tablet does it stay off in different positions(horizontal on a table, vertical in a bag), could be a big battery drain if it doesn't do it consistently

* how is portrait mode and general ergonomics as a tablet

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Please die in a fire, I have to wait another day. Haha just kidding I'm super jealous!!!!!! Read your review, actually had some things other reviews missed good job!

kennethkryger

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Kenneth, I posted a reply to your comment in my blog. But basically you can change the keyboard to anything, but the display language is set to only English. So any/all text in Windows will show up as English.

Thanks for helping out. Can I ask one last favour of you?
When you get you touch cover keyboard (I presume it will be a US English one?) - could you try and change on-screen keyboard language Agains and see if the touch cover also changes language?

Thanks in advance :)

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
You can change the language shown on the on-screen keyboard, and the inputs of the touch cover represents the language you choose. So if I pick german, I can type a letter on my touch cover like "a" and it will be the corresponding letter on a german keyboard.

kennethkryger

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Awesome!!! Just ordered a English (UK) touch pad from the UK store and is still waiting for the Surface RT (without touch pad) to arrive from Germany...

Living in Denmark :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos