Just went and picked up a Surface from Times Square NYC

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Just thought id give an update on Surface availability. I went to the Times Square Microsoft store in NYC this morning at 8am. The store was packed with at least 100-150 people. Walked up the counter and purchased a Surface w/cover no problem.

Asked the sales person if they had a large stock left and he replied "I don't know for sure but we've been selling them non stop since last night and I expect well run out sometime today."

Not sure if that's true or not but glad I was able to get it so easily!

Now, time to un-box and check this beast out.

Happy surface day everyone! :cool:

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I was impressed that at 8am the store was so packed there was barely room to move around.

Just a side note, I was given a free 1 month pass for Xbox music (must have obv given out all the 99$ ones)

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
So are Microsoft the only brick and mortar stores selling them? I am late to the surface info main interest is wp7/8

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

popartist

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I must have been in the Times Square store the same time as you, I also bought this morning! I hung around and did the in-store setup, which was a good thing since it wasn't liking my Gmail for some reason and wouldn't set up that e-mail account. But it got sorted finally (neither me nor the staff guy walking it through with me know why, it just went through). But other than that little hang-up, it is quite smooth and I am liking it so far! :)

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So are Microsoft the only brick and mortar stores selling them? I am late to the surface info main interest is wp7/8

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Yes for Surface, only MS Stores.

I must have been in the Times Square store the same time as you, I also bought this morning! I hung around and did the in-store setup, which was a good thing since it wasn't liking my Gmail for some reason and wouldn't set up that e-mail account. But it got sorted finally (neither me nor the staff guy walking it through with me know why, it just went through). But other than that little hang-up, it is quite smooth and I am liking it so far! :)

Nice! Im just setting mine up now.

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Been using it for a little but and im VERY impressed thus far.

Just did an update check and there are already 4 updates:

windows defender
update for IE flash player
Microsoft camera codec pack
Update for Windows RT

popartist

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

windows defender
Update for Windows RT
Thanks for that, we didn't check that in store (plus I had to get to the office)...will check that when I get home.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

windows defender
Update for Windows RT

Question - did they have any Windows Phone 8 phones at the store?

De doublesman

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Just thought id give an update on Surface availability. I went to the Times Square Microsoft store in NYC this morning at 8am. The store was packed with at least 100-150 people. Walked up the counter and purchased a Surface w/cover no problem.

Asked the sales person if they had a large stock left and he replied "I don't know for sure but we've been selling them non stop since last night and I expect well run out sometime today."

Not sure if that's true or not but glad I was able to get it so easily!

Now, time to un-box and check this beast out.

Happy surface day everyone! :cool:
where exactly is this microsoft store in times square? I was in times square last weekend but i guess i probably missed it. lol:cool:

Last edited:

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Question - did they have any Windows Phone 8 phones at the store?

Nope, not at this point in time.

@doublesman the store just opened last night which is why you didnt see it before - now you cant miss it.

Been using it now for a hour or so and thus far I LOVE IT. Everything is super smooth, very fast. Installing apps could not be easier. I was very surprised how easy it was to use the touch keyboard/cover and how well it responded. Just attached it and started typing as usual and no issue, punched out a few emails with ease - even the mouse pad works quite well.

Trying to figure out how to set the personalized lock screen now.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So the Surface has flash for IE? For some reason I was under the impression that it didn't. Awesome!!

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
so sad, i waited in line for almost 1.5 hours. I was told last week the store would open at 8am and asked if possible they could allow me to buy one earlier so i can get to work, they said no just tell my work im coming in late so i did. So after waiting for 1.5 hours and 8 passes i ask what time they are opening, first they said 8, and i said it is 8:10 now, then they said 10 im like wtf! then they came back and said 9, that point i was supposed to be at work by 9.

So i just left, what a terrible experience. Even the week before when i asked if i can preorder in store, they said yes come to the store, so i did, they saidi couldnt online only. Everyting online was sold out at that point.

Terrible experience, so i ended up leaving so i can get to work later than normal, thanks MS!

Oh ya, the reps there was advertising windows 8 on the surface too and had no clue how to explain xbox music. Pretty sad.

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Got mine and love it. A little disappointed the OS games so much space. 17.1gb of free space on the 32gb version. Anyone know if I can redownload office rt if I decide to uninstall it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo