Has anybody been able to stream to Xbox yet?

nkraft8

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey there,

Has anyone been able to stream any content from Surface to Xbox yet? I'm referring to locally stored content. It was to my understanding that Smartglass would allow content to be streamed to Xbox. I've tried both an mp4 video and an mp3 and have had no success so far. Let me know if anyone has had better luck! Thanks!

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Can you share Xbox videos? I rented the Avengers and I was not able to play it through Xbox. The play here and play on Xbox buttons are grayed out.

nkraft8

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Surface will not play mp4.
I've actually been able to play an .mp4 movie just fine on the Surface. But when I try to stream it to the Xbox it won't allow. I'm starting to wonder if Smartglass is only intended for media purchased through Microsoft :mad:.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I've actually been able to play an .mp4 movie just fine on the Surface. But when I try to stream it to the Xbox it won't allow. I'm starting to wonder if Smartglass is only intended for media purchased through Microsoft :mad:.

I cannot get it to work using xbox video so that may not be the case. I think we may be doing something wrong.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

That's not the case on the non-RT versions of Windows 8. I've played different formats through it before and streamed to Xbox just fine.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
That's not the case on the non-RT versions of Windows 8. I've played different formats through it before and streamed to Xbox just fine.

If the RT version is ultimately not able to stream to xbox that would be some false advertising. I will take this back despite the fact that is it my favorite electronic device and I have only been using it for three hours.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Update: I was able to stream to the Xbox after a couple things.

First and foremost, the BUILT IN video app needs to be updated. I remember clearly that the original application (RTM) did not allow streaming to the Xbox. To update, go to the store and tap on the top right "Update" link.

Second, make sure it is a compatible file with Xbox Video. I had a non-DRM mp4 playing just fine.

So, when it's playing in Xbox Video, simply swipe up from the bottom, and select "Play To" and then "Xbox 360".

Proof and tutorial:

BxiYoh.png

aFm0jh.png

8tMFxh.png

h9U9ah.png

Last edited:

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Avengers, Prometheus, Battleship, Snow White and the Huntsman and The Hunger Games are available for rental @ .99 right now. They are smart screen movies.

Last edited:

nkraft8

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Update: I was able to stream to the Xbox after a couple things.

First and foremost, the BUILT IN video app needs to be updated. I remember clearly that the original application (RTM) did not allow streaming to the Xbox. To update, go to the store and tap on the top right "Update" link.

Second, make sure it is a compatible file with Xbox Video. I had a non-DRM mp4 playing just fine.

So, when it's playing in Xbox Video, simply swipe up from the bottom, and select "Play To" and then "Xbox 360".

Proof and tutorial:

Click to view quoted image

Getintothegame,

Thank you for the tutorial! I checked to make sure the app was updated and it was the most recent version. I'm not sure why I'm still not able to stream anything. Every video I play it doesn't even give me the option for Xbox it says "I have no devices that can stream from video". Were you able to play music as well?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I recorded a video with the camera. Put it in the video library. And then play to the xbox. Worked great.

Now do you know if there is a way you can get photos to play over to the xbox?

nkraft8

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I recorded a video with the camera. Put it in the video library. And then play to the xbox. Worked great.

Now do you know if there is a way you can get photos to play over to the xbox?
Can you explain how you did that? I've run out of ideas on how to get it to work. I took a video with the camera and moved the file to my videos folder and it won't even stream that.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have idea why you guys are having problems. I've been using "Play To Xbox" ever since the dashboard update. Works fine. streamed a bunch of tv shows from my surface tonight.

You have to have the fall dashboard update on your 360 and the latest version of smartglass.

nkraft8

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I have idea why you guys are having problems. I've been using "Play To Xbox" ever since the dashboard update. Works fine. streamed a bunch of tv shows from my surface tonight.

You have to have the fall dashboard update on your 360 and the latest version of smartglass.
yeah im not sure what the problem would be. I've now noticed that its not just with local content, videos and trailers from Xbox video will also not stream. Ive checked to make sure my settings are correct on my Xbox and they're set correct. No matter what im viewing the play on Xbox icon on the bottom of the screen is greyed out.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Yea I didn't think about that. you have to turn "Play To" on in the xbox settings. I'm not sure if it's on by default.

System>Console Settings>Connected Devices> Then click the "on" option for "play to"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs