Has anybody been able to stream to Xbox yet?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Not to state the obvious, make sure you are logged onto xbox with the same hotmail account you use for the surface.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok quick check list:

1. on your surface you are using videos not smart glass?
2. In videos it says "signed in" at the top right?
3. Are you using the same account on you surface as you are on your xbox?
4. Xbox is up to date with the latest dashboard?
5. Settings on your xbox are correct?
System>Console Settings>Connected Devices> Then click the "on" option for "play to"
6. Are you connected to WIFI? (sounds silly but just make sure)

If you need a video to try download one of the MS press event files they are MP4.
Windows Newsroom: Windows 8 Video Gallery

If it still isn't working and you have a Lumia check and see if you can use the "play to" app on windows phone to play video from your phone to your xbox (just make sure you are on wifi). If you can't do it from your phone and your surface there is something else going on and I have no idea what it is.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I really appreciate your help. I performed all the steps, no dice. bumming
Yea I didn't think about that. you have to turn "Play To" on in the xbox settings. I'm not sure if it's on by default.

System>Console Settings>Connected Devices> Then click the "on" option for "play to"

Ok quick check list:

1. on your surface you are using videos not smart glass?
2. In videos it says "signed in" at the top right?
3. Are you using the same account on you surface as you are on your xbox?
4. Xbox is up to date with the latest dashboard?
5. Settings on your xbox are correct?
6. Are you connected to WIFI? (sounds silly but just make sure)

If you need a video to try download one of the MS press event files they are MP4.
Windows Newsroom: Windows 8 Video Gallery

If it still isn't working and you have a Lumia check and see if you can use the "play to" app on windows phone to play video from your phone to your xbox (just make sure you are on wifi). If you can't do it from your phone and your surface there is something else going on and I have no idea what it is.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Worked fine for me...played a video of the family carving pumpkins (recorded by the Surface) and it pushed to the Xbox fine.

Only bummer for me is that my Xbox Gold account is different than my primary Live account, so I had to log in to my Silver account on the Xbox to do it.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Worked fine for me...played a video of the family carving pumpkins (recorded by the Surface) and it pushed to the Xbox fine.

Only bummer for me is that my Xbox Gold account is different than my primary Live account, so I had to log in to my Silver account on the Xbox to do it.

You can change the account associated with your gamertag from the account settings on the 360.

I changed mine to my newer outlook.com account.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
You can change the account associated with your gamertag from the account settings on the 360.

I changed mine to my newer outlook.com account.
i

I called support. Certain tv shows will work no movies. Its weird they are stumped. My other wacky problem is I can start playing music on the surface transfer it to the Xbox but then the play here button on the surface won't work to bring the music back.

nkraft8

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
i

I called support. Certain tv shows will work no movies. Its weird they are stumped. My other wacky problem is I can start playing music on the surface transfer it to the Xbox but then the play here button on the surface won't work to bring the music back.
Any update from support at all? I've gone as far as to making a new Microsoft account and Xbox live account just to see of that was the problem and nothing was fixed. So frustrating.....

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Any update from support at all? I've gone as far as to making a new Microsoft account and Xbox live account just to see of that was the problem and nothing was fixed. So frustrating.....

They have no clue. I rented an episode of the league and it works perfectly. I rented Madagascar, Avengers, and That's my boy. The surface cannot transfer the movies at all. I am stumped and so is support.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused. Can you play rented movies from surface to Xbox through smart glass?

I rented man on a ledge on the surface and the play on Xbox was grayed out even though I was connected to the right account etc

I did choose the stream only option if that made a difference

Music works fine so does local videos

Last edited:

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little confused. Can you play rented movies from surface to Xbox through smart glass?

I rented man on a ledge on the surface and the play on Xbox was grayed out even though I was connected to the right account etc

I did choose the stream only option if that made a difference

It doesn't make a difference. I rented the second episode of American Horror Story and it streams perfectly. I rented Battleship, Avengers, and Hunger Games. They only play on the surface not on Xbox. If I want to play those movies on Xbox I have to pay an additional 5 dollars to rent them separately. The movies that are rented on the Xbox cannot be shared with the surface. I have no idea why TV shows are working and movies are not.

Soxpranos

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Update: I was able to stream to the Xbox after a couple things.

First and foremost, the BUILT IN video app needs to be updated. I remember clearly that the original application (RTM) did not allow streaming to the Xbox. To update, go to the store and tap on the top right "Update" link.

Second, make sure it is a compatible file with Xbox Video. I had a non-DRM mp4 playing just fine.

So, when it's playing in Xbox Video, simply swipe up from the bottom, and select "Play To" and then "Xbox 360".

Proof and tutorial:

Click to view quoted image

thanks for the info and the time to show us how. Really the way to post something to help us all instead of the normal " I was able " posts.

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
its too bad, ms is still has a long way to go before having the same level of polished software as Apple. people shouldn't be this confused to use such an important feature. and playto really should be universal. right now I believe the technology streams the content over to be played on the xbox. it would much better if whatever is on the screen can be streamed directly...like apple's airplay.

nkraft8

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't make a difference. I rented the second episode of American Horror Story and it streams perfectly. I rented Battleship, Avengers, and Hunger Games. They only play on the surface not on Xbox. If I want to play those movies on Xbox I have to pay an additional 5 dollars to rent them separately. The movies that are rented on the Xbox cannot be shared with the surface. I have no idea why TV shows are working and movies are not.
Really interesting I went ahead and downloaded the same tv show to see if it would work with my setup and sure enough American Horror story worked for me. That's only piece of media I've been able to get to work including music. Maybe someone could share a video off the internet or something that they've gotten to work to see if it would work for us. Microsoft has been of no help whatsoever.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Umm not everything can be streamed over airplay.
And for the person having the Xbox smart glass issue take it back don't pull your hair out.

I've found that if I'm the only one having a particular issue most of the time it's unique to me and something I'm doing wrong (not trying to be a smart ***). heck windows 8 was crashing my pc 3x times a day and screwing up my hard drive or that's what I thought. The truth was I upgraded over my Windows 7 and I should have done a clean install.

I had a smart glass streaming issue until I realized it wasn't me but the codec I was using in the video, so I re-encoded using xvid and it worked fine.

nkraft8

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Umm not everything can be streamed over airplay.
And for the person having the Xbox smart glass issue take it back don't pull your hair out.

I've found that if I'm the only one having a particular issue most of the time it's unique to me and something I'm doing wrong (not trying to be a smart ***). heck windows 8 was crashing my pc 3x times a day and screwing up my hard drive or that's what I thought. The truth was I upgraded over my Windows 7 and I should have done a clean install.

I had a smart glass streaming issue until I realized it wasn't me but the codec I was using in the video, so I re-encoded using xvid and it worked fine.

Did you read through the thread before posting your response? This isn't a problem just with home videos, we're having problems streaming Xbox movies as well such as Avengers. And there's no way there's a problem with all of my mp3 files that also won't stream. Read before posting about others.

dvdjoe

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
This how I fixed my issue first go to settings then change pc settings then devices . Once there deleted all xbox 360 devices then clicked add new device ( make sure xbox 360 is on ) saw xbox then added everything is worked great since then.

Hope this helps others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)