Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

10-28-2012 11:40 PM
49 12
tools
    Hey there,

Has anyone been able to stream any content from Surface to Xbox yet? I'm referring to locally stored content. It was to my understanding that Smartglass would allow content to be streamed to Xbox. I've tried both an mp4 video and an mp3 and have had no success so far. Let me know if anyone has had better luck! Thanks!
    10-26-2012 09:51 PM
    No I am having the same problem with music and rented movies. Need a hand book.
    10-26-2012 09:54 PM
    Surface will not play mp4.
    10-26-2012 10:16 PM
    Can you share Xbox videos? I rented the Avengers and I was not able to play it through Xbox. The play here and play on Xbox buttons are grayed out.
    10-26-2012 10:25 PM
    I've been able to do it with my desktop. I'd be surprised and a little saddened if this isn't the case with the Surface. I'll try in a bit.
    10-26-2012 10:27 PM
    Surface will not play mp4.
    I've actually been able to play an .mp4 movie just fine on the Surface. But when I try to stream it to the Xbox it won't allow. I'm starting to wonder if Smartglass is only intended for media purchased through Microsoft :@.
    10-26-2012 10:46 PM
    I've actually been able to play an .mp4 movie just fine on the Surface. But when I try to stream it to the Xbox it won't allow. I'm starting to wonder if Smartglass is only intended for media purchased through Microsoft :@.
    I cannot get it to work using xbox video so that may not be the case. I think we may be doing something wrong.
    10-26-2012 10:51 PM
    That's not the case on the non-RT versions of Windows 8. I've played different formats through it before and streamed to Xbox just fine.
    10-26-2012 10:53 PM
    That's not the case on the non-RT versions of Windows 8. I've played different formats through it before and streamed to Xbox just fine.
    If the RT version is ultimately not able to stream to xbox that would be some false advertising. I will take this back despite the fact that is it my favorite electronic device and I have only been using it for three hours.
    10-26-2012 11:02 PM
    If you haven't already, make sure smart glass is up to date. I played with a couple in the store and a lot of them were not updated.
    10-26-2012 11:26 PM
    Update: I was able to stream to the Xbox after a couple things.

First and foremost, the BUILT IN video app needs to be updated. I remember clearly that the original application (RTM) did not allow streaming to the Xbox. To update, go to the store and tap on the top right "Update" link.

Second, make sure it is a compatible file with Xbox Video. I had a non-DRM mp4 playing just fine.

So, when it's playing in Xbox Video, simply swipe up from the bottom, and select "Play To" and then "Xbox 360".

Proof and tutorial:

Last edited by Getintothegame; 10-26-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    10-26-2012 11:44 PM
    Avengers, Prometheus, Battleship, Snow White and the Huntsman and The Hunger Games are available for rental @ .99 right now. They are smart screen movies.
    Last edited by Blackwood504; 10-27-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    10-27-2012 12:04 AM
    I deleted and reinstalled Xbox video. No dice.
    10-27-2012 12:31 AM
    Update: I was able to stream to the Xbox after a couple things.

First and foremost, the BUILT IN video app needs to be updated. I remember clearly that the original application (RTM) did not allow streaming to the Xbox. To update, go to the store and tap on the top right "Update" link.

Second, make sure it is a compatible file with Xbox Video. I had a non-DRM mp4 playing just fine.

So, when it's playing in Xbox Video, simply swipe up from the bottom, and select "Play To" and then "Xbox 360".

Proof and tutorial:

Click to view quoted image

Getintothegame,

Thank you for the tutorial! I checked to make sure the app was updated and it was the most recent version. I'm not sure why I'm still not able to stream anything. Every video I play it doesn't even give me the option for Xbox it says "I have no devices that can stream from video". Were you able to play music as well?
    10-27-2012 12:42 AM
    Thanks for the help. I recorded a video with the camera. Put it in the video library. And then play to the xbox. Worked great.

Now do you know if there is a way you can get photos to play over to the xbox?
    10-27-2012 01:05 AM
    Thanks for the help. I recorded a video with the camera. Put it in the video library. And then play to the xbox. Worked great.

Now do you know if there is a way you can get photos to play over to the xbox?
    Can you explain how you did that? I've run out of ideas on how to get it to work. I took a video with the camera and moved the file to my videos folder and it won't even stream that.
    10-27-2012 01:35 AM
    I have idea why you guys are having problems. I've been using "Play To Xbox" ever since the dashboard update. Works fine. streamed a bunch of tv shows from my surface tonight.

You have to have the fall dashboard update on your 360 and the latest version of smartglass.
    10-27-2012 02:08 AM
    I have idea why you guys are having problems. I've been using "Play To Xbox" ever since the dashboard update. Works fine. streamed a bunch of tv shows from my surface tonight.

You have to have the fall dashboard update on your 360 and the latest version of smartglass.
    yeah im not sure what the problem would be. I've now noticed that its not just with local content, videos and trailers from Xbox video will also not stream. Ive checked to make sure my settings are correct on my Xbox and they're set correct. No matter what im viewing the play on Xbox icon on the bottom of the screen is greyed out.
    10-27-2012 03:43 AM
    Guys also make sure your xbox is updated with the latest update which rolled out this week
    10-27-2012 03:50 AM
    Yea I didn't think about that. you have to turn "Play To" on in the xbox settings. I'm not sure if it's on by default.

System>Console Settings>Connected Devices> Then click the "on" option for "play to"
    toekramp likes this.
    10-27-2012 05:21 AM
    Yea I didn't think about that. you have to turn "Play To" on in the xbox settings. I'm not sure if it's on by default.

System>Console Settings>Connected Devices> Then click the "on" option for "play to"
    Checked this setting. It is on it still doesn't work.
    10-27-2012 07:10 AM
    Not to state the obvious, make sure you are logged onto xbox with the same hotmail account you use for the surface.
    10-27-2012 10:12 AM
    Ok quick check list:

1. on your surface you are using videos not smart glass?
    2. In videos it says "signed in" at the top right?
    3. Are you using the same account on you surface as you are on your xbox?
    4. Xbox is up to date with the latest dashboard?
    5. Settings on your xbox are correct?
    6. Are you connected to WIFI? (sounds silly but just make sure)

If you need a video to try download one of the MS press event files they are MP4.
    Windows Newsroom: Windows 8 Video Gallery

If it still isn't working and you have a Lumia check and see if you can use the "play to" app on windows phone to play video from your phone to your xbox (just make sure you are on wifi). If you can't do it from your phone and your surface there is something else going on and I have no idea what it is.
    10-27-2012 10:41 AM
    I really appreciate your help. I performed all the steps, no dice. bumming

Ok quick check list:

1. on your surface you are using videos not smart glass?
    2. In videos it says "signed in" at the top right?
    3. Are you using the same account on you surface as you are on your xbox?
    4. Xbox is up to date with the latest dashboard?
    5. Settings on your xbox are correct?
    6. Are you connected to WIFI? (sounds silly but just make sure)

If you need a video to try download one of the MS press event files they are MP4.
    Windows Newsroom: Windows 8 Video Gallery

If it still isn't working and you have a Lumia check and see if you can use the "play to" app on windows phone to play video from your phone to your xbox (just make sure you are on wifi). If you can't do it from your phone and your surface there is something else going on and I have no idea what it is.
    10-27-2012 11:28 AM
    Are you 100% positive you have the fall dashboard update on your 360?
    10-27-2012 11:49 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD