Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

11-27-2012 11:35 AM
94 1234
tools
    OK. I have my SD card working (sorta) has I can see all the songs in My Music. So the funny part is that when I [;ay any music, it says it is playing from the cloud, not my machine. Also it wants me to purchase all the music that I put in there.... Now something is wrong.
    10-28-2012 08:08 AM
    I am able to see all my Music now and play, no problem, but I still can not see my Pictures, and Videos. The Apps are not picking them ups for some reason.
    10-28-2012 08:39 AM
    I did this and it worked perfectly. Then I went in and added pcs docs and video folders and re mapped everything. Now in music all of by music is not showing in the Xbox app. But if I hit open file it is all listed under my music and I can play any album by manually selecting it.

Any idea how I can have the app repopulated?

Thanks
    10-28-2012 09:40 AM
    The apps aren't picking up anything for me today. Photos was working yesterday. I hope someone figures this out.
    10-28-2012 09:50 AM
    Here is another link to an explanation of how to do this:

http://www.winsupersite.com/print/wi...ro-apps-144658

Awesome mod indeed!!!
    10-28-2012 03:55 PM
    I don't know what I did differently, but I just went ahead and renamed my folder on the c: drive to media (c:\media). Went to Manage My computer, Disk management, Change drive letter. Removed the original folder, and OK. Went back and re-added again with c:\media.

Then I went to c:\media and added each folder, music, pictures, video, to their appropriate Libraries one by one. And all of a sudden they showed up. So all is well now. Hopefully it will stay that way :)
    10-28-2012 04:38 PM
    I don't know what I did differently, but I just went ahead and renamed my folder on the c: drive to media (c:\media). Went to Manage My computer, Disk management, Change drive letter. Removed the original folder, and OK. Went back and re-added again with c:\media.

Then I went to c:\media and added each folder, music, pictures, video, to their appropriate Libraries one by one. And all of a sudden they showed up. So all is well now. Hopefully it will stay that way :)
    Yea you don't want to use default library folder names for the mount. It has to be something different.
    10-28-2012 04:43 PM
    thanks all! created a VHD and it works great.
    10-28-2012 08:40 PM

So delete the C:/User/My Music under the properties?
    10-28-2012 09:28 PM
    Went in un installed and reinstalled and everything works again...
    10-28-2012 10:09 PM
    I made a how-to video on how I got mine to work, I hope it will clear up any confusion. It's my first "how to" video on anything, so i apologize for any confusion!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KRXCXB856A[/YT]

Edit: Okay, this is starting to get annoying. My above video does work, but I noticed when I added more music into my Music folder onto my SD card, the music app isn't picking up the newly added files. It still shows my other music, but none of the new music that I've added.

I hope this is a bug, and I hope MS releases updates soon to this tablet.
    Last edited by Jaybotics; 10-29-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    10-29-2012 03:20 PM
    The symbolic link 'hack' DOES NOT WORK. Yes, it will SOMETIME populate the lists, but here's the issue. Symbolic links don't really fool the OS. So while it allows you to add the location to your library Windows holds true to its inability to index removable media and/or network locations (there goes the other 'hack')

So what can you do?

A VHD Works, I have a 32gig card, created a 28gig VHD on it. And then mounted that. (made a .bat that runs at startup to do it for me)

Remaining issues, sometimes while playing music it will stop and say 'this format is not supported.' Sometimes in the middle of songs, other times between songs. Could be an SD read speed issue, (bought the one at the pop-store as a toss-in so didn't really bother looking at the details,) or could be Surface needing an update (anyone else get a weird drone sound when the music app starts acting up, like a buzz)

Besides that, this is the only way I have found to keep media on an SD card and have a populated functioning library.
    Last edited by VidJuhEffex; 10-29-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: corretions
    10-29-2012 07:18 PM
    You can still use this hack, with a slight caveat. You have to do a manual rebuild every time you add media. You do this in desktop mode. First open control panel, then indexing options, advanced, and finally select rebuild.
    10-29-2012 09:19 PM
    You can still use this hack, with a slight caveat. You have to do a manual rebuild every time you add media. You do this in desktop mode. First open control panel, then indexing options, advanced, and finally select rebuild.
    Every time we add something? What does rebuild actually do?
    10-29-2012 09:29 PM
    Every time we add something? What does rebuild actually do?
    Yes, based on my testing, I had to rebuild after adding even a picture. This kind of sucks really. I may just return this 32GB for a 64GB.

Rebuild just reindexes the folders. This process seems to be fooled by the hack.
    10-29-2012 09:36 PM
    Yes, based on my testing, I had to rebuild after adding even a picture. This kind of sucks really. I may just return this 32GB for a 64GB.

Rebuild just reindexes the folders. This process seems to be fooled by the hack.
    Fooled by the hack meaning it works? I guess we all have to make sure we add enough content before we rebuild haha.
    10-29-2012 09:45 PM
    Fooled by the hack meaning it works? I guess we all have to make sure we add enough content before we rebuild haha.
    Yes, it definitely works. It only takes a few seconds to rebuild. Also, this only seems to be an issue with the metro apps.
    10-29-2012 09:59 PM
    Anybody able to write a batch file for this? So we can leave on the desktop. I imagine this would yield better performance than going through a VHD as I have had it.
    10-29-2012 10:55 PM
    I'm confused. What problem is there with just mounting the SD card to a folder? I have had 0 problems and this is the same thing I have been doing back in Windows 7. And don't create a new drive letter for it. Just mount it to a single folder.
    10-29-2012 11:00 PM
    I'm confused. What problem is there with just mounting the SD card to a folder? I have had 0 problems and this is the same thing I have been doing back in Windows 7. And don't create a new drive letter for it. Just mount it to a single folder.
    It seems to work but fails to manage changes going forward. To test, save a pic to your pictures folder and see if it shows up in the metro photo app. It works fine in desktop mode, just having issues in metro.
    10-29-2012 11:08 PM
    To be clear, mine has had no issues ADDING files. It's when I remove them that the changes don't get reflect. Rebuilding an index works, but for now the convenience of the VHD will have to do.
    10-29-2012 11:14 PM
    It seems to work but fails to manage changes going forward. To test, save a pic to your pictures folder and see if it shows up in the metro photo app. It works fine in desktop mode, just having issues in metro.
    I just saved the image of the quote button from this forum to my mounted folder, and it is showing up right away in my photo app. Strange.
    10-29-2012 11:24 PM
    I just saved the image of the quote button from this forum to my mounted folder, and it is showing up right away in my photo app. Strange.
    Ok, now delete it and you will probably have a blank placeholder in its place.
    10-29-2012 11:33 PM
    Just installed my 64gb microSD:

I'm trying to think if I want to remap directories or just add folders to libraries to make the best use of space. Having ~10gb of free space on C: doesn't seem right after a weekend of installing apps and getting the system setup. I haven't added any movies or music yet...

The Surface should have been sold in 64gb and 128gb models. The OS is pretty big and a lot of disk space was lost to recovery partitions.

Right now:
    935mb = C:\Program Files
    7mb = C:\ProgramData
    0mb= C:\Sources
    1500mb = C:\Users
    7700mb = C:\Windows
    10-30-2012 02:03 AM
    Just installed my 64gb microSD:

Click to view quoted image

I'm trying to think if I want to remap directories or just add folders to libraries to make the best use of space. Having ~10gb of free space on C: doesn't seem right after a weekend of installing apps and getting the system setup. I haven't added any movies or music yet...

The Surface should have been sold in 64gb and 128gb models. The OS is pretty big and a lot of disk space was lost to recovery partitions.

Right now:
    935mb = C:\Program Files
    7mb = C:\ProgramData
    0mb= C:\Sources
    1500mb = C:\Users
    7700mb = C:\Windows
    Why not just play the files off the sd card like the rest of us...?
    10-30-2012 02:12 AM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD