Use Content from SD (Solved)

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I created My Photos, Documents, Videos on the SD card and want to use it as a source. It wont add the SD card b/c its a removable. Anybody find a way around this?

Last edited:

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Having the same issue with music on sd card. You can manually open them in Xbox music but you can't have them appear in the music app. Would also like to hear how to get around this.

CyclingNut

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Try this..open up the file manager and click on music (underneath libraries). Then click on Manage (between view and play). Then select manage library. A new window should pop up and you can add the folder located on the SD card

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I hope there is a way to do this. I also tried to add the folder and got the same error message. Would make the SD card much more useful if this would work.

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Why didn't I think of that! I was almost ready to return the Surface over this (to get a 64GB model ��).

You can access computer management by holding on Computer in the library folders of the desktop mode. I created a folder called media on the root of c:, then held computer, chose manage, then disk management. From there, hold the sd drive for a second and choose change drive letter... The link above explains the rest.

jonldevries

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
add a mapping dont change

Why didn't I think of that! I was almost ready to return the Surface over this (to get a 64GB model ��).

You can access computer management by holding on Computer in the library folders of the desktop mode. I created a folder called media on the root of c:, then held computer, chose manage, then disk management. From there, hold the sd drive for a second and choose change drive letter... The link above explains the rest.

you shouldn't change the drive mapping, add a new one to the existing sd card drive

then it works as expected for other stuff

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Open Disk Management, Right click on the SD card drive, choose mount.

Tell it to mount to a folder you create somewhere, such as in your Library folders.

This was actually something that has had to be done going back to Windows 7. It's due to the SD cards not being able to be indexed.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Just for the sake of clarity, here are the exact steps I took:

1 - create a folder on the c: drive to use for this "mapping." I created c:\media

2 - Open the library folders in desktop mode

3 - Long press, or right click using a mouse, on Computer in the left pane and choose manage.

4 - Once the MMC opens select Disk Management in the left pane

5 - Long press, or right click using a mouse, on the drive object for the SD card and select Change Drive Letters and Paths... option

6 - Select the add option and browse the folder you created on C: then select ok, and ok again.

7 - Go back to libraries, long press or right click the library that matches the content you wish to include from the SD (i.e. music, videos, pictures) and choose properties.

8 - Add the location to the subfolder (on c:\media\music in my example for music content) to the library and it will then show up in the music, video, or pictures metro apps

9 - Enjoy the added storage for your libraries!

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Just for the sake of clarity, here are the exact steps I took:

1 - create a folder on the c: drive to use for this "mapping." I created c:\media

2 - Open the library folders in desktop mode

3 - Long press, or right click using a mouse, on Computer in the left pane and choose manage.

4 - Once the MMC opens select Disk Management in the left pane

5 - Long press, or right click using a mouse, on the drive object for the SD card and select Change Drive Letters and Paths... option

6 - Select the add option and browse the folder you created on C: then select ok, and ok again.

7 - Go back to libraries, long press or right click the library that matches the content you wish to include from the SD (i.e. music, videos, pictures) and choose properties.

8 - Add the location to the subfolder (on c:\media\music in my example for music content) to the library and it will then show up in the music, video, or pictures metro apps

9 - Enjoy the added storage for your libraries!
I followed your instructions and it still doesn't recognize the music.

Also has anyone experienced problem pairing the Surface with your Windows Phone via Bluetooth?

dark.davy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I followed your instructions and it still doesn't recognize the music.

Also has anyone experienced problem pairing the Surface with your Windows Phone via Bluetooth?
I just moved my users directories to the SDcard. Just go to a user folder (like Downloads) right click, go to properties and location tab. Change the directory and hit apply, it will move things for you too.

-Davy

Ps. Im using a class 10 card, ymmv if trying to play 1080p rips via a class 4, etc

jonldevries

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes yes moved save location to sd card for music, only trick is finding the download button in Xbox music

So now I am not upset I didn't get 64gb surface

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes yes moved save location to sd card for music, only trick is finding the download button in Xbox music

So now I am not upset I didn't get 64gb surface
Is it showing up on Xbox Music? There's no locations tab with the Music Library. I wish this was seamless. Still not working for me. The sales representative said all we had to do was put in the card.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro