Use Content from SD (Solved)

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
That's odd. Worked great for me and others. Is it possibly a DRM issue with your files?
I formatted the SDCard too to NTFS.

On a lighter note. Everyone I've shown my Surface to is impressed and everyone types well on the Touch Cover.

Does it matter if the My Music folder is sorted out by Artists and Albums? I don't understand. I'm doing everything listed in the steps. I wish the app had something like the Zune software.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I formatted the SDCard too to NTFS.

On a lighter note. Everyone I've shown my Surface to is impressed and everyone types well on the Touch Cover.

Does it matter if the My Music folder is sorted out by Artists and Albums? I don't understand. I'm doing everything listed in the steps. I wish the app had something like the Zune software.

I have my sd card setup with separate folders for each media type and a separate documents folder. In other words I have the following folders off the root folder on the sd card:

Documents
Music
Pictures
Videos

Also, it is important that you add the folders to your libraries using the location you have mapped to on the C: drive. My music is in alpha ordered subdirectories under the music folder. I added each subfolder under c:\media to each corresponding library. I.e. c:\media\music is added to the My Music library, the same for each of the other libraries.

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I have my sd card setup with separate folders for each media type and a separate documents folder. In other words I have the following folders off the root folder on the sd card:

Documents
Music
Pictures
Videos

Also, it is important that you add the folders to your libraries using the location you have mapped to on the C: drive. My music is in alpha ordered subdirectories under the music folder. I added each subfolder under c:\media to each corresponding library. I.e. c:\media\music is added to the My Music library, the same for each of the other libraries.
Thanks!

I was able to get the Photos to correctly map. I just have an issue with Music not populating. I guess I just have to play around with it.

Thanks for your help everyone.

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Very Streange. I did everything as mentioned in the article.

1. Added SD card to C:\Media
2. Included appropriate folders in the library (Pictures, Music, Video)

Nothing is showing up under the Photos, Video and Music section.

Any other thoughts on this?

rsmiley0

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
More on music

OK. I have my SD card working (sorta) has I can see all the songs in My Music. So the funny part is that when I [;ay any music, it says it is playing from the cloud, not my machine. Also it wants me to purchase all the music that I put in there.... Now something is wrong.

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I am able to see all my Music now and play, no problem, but I still can not see my Pictures, and Videos. The Apps are not picking them ups for some reason.

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I did this and it worked perfectly. Then I went in and added pcs docs and video folders and re mapped everything. Now in music all of by music is not showing in the Xbox app. But if I hit open file it is all listed under my music and I can play any album by manually selecting it.

Any idea how I can have the app repopulated?

Thanks

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what I did differently, but I just went ahead and renamed my folder on the c: drive to media (c:\media). Went to Manage My computer, Disk management, Change drive letter. Removed the original folder, and OK. Went back and re-added again with c:\media.

Then I went to c:\media and added each folder, music, pictures, video, to their appropriate Libraries one by one. And all of a sudden they showed up. So all is well now. Hopefully it will stay that way :)

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what I did differently, but I just went ahead and renamed my folder on the c: drive to media (c:\media). Went to Manage My computer, Disk management, Change drive letter. Removed the original folder, and OK. Went back and re-added again with c:\media.

Then I went to c:\media and added each folder, music, pictures, video, to their appropriate Libraries one by one. And all of a sudden they showed up. So all is well now. Hopefully it will stay that way :)

Yea you don't want to use default library folder names for the mount. It has to be something different.

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

So delete the C:/User/My Music under the properties?

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I made a how-to video on how I got mine to work, I hope it will clear up any confusion. It's my first "how to" video on anything, so i apologize for any confusion!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KRXCXB856A[/YT]

Edit: Okay, this is starting to get annoying. My above video does work, but I noticed when I added more music into my Music folder onto my SD card, the music app isn't picking up the newly added files. It still shows my other music, but none of the new music that I've added.

I hope this is a bug, and I hope MS releases updates soon to this tablet.

Last edited:

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The symbolic link 'hack' DOES NOT WORK. Yes, it will SOMETIME populate the lists, but here's the issue. Symbolic links don't really fool the OS. So while it allows you to add the location to your library Windows holds true to its inability to index removable media and/or network locations (there goes the other 'hack')

So what can you do?

A VHD Works, I have a 32gig card, created a 28gig VHD on it. And then mounted that. (made a .bat that runs at startup to do it for me)

Remaining issues, sometimes while playing music it will stop and say 'this format is not supported.' Sometimes in the middle of songs, other times between songs. Could be an SD read speed issue, (bought the one at the pop-store as a toss-in so didn't really bother looking at the details,) or could be Surface needing an update (anyone else get a weird drone sound when the music app starts acting up, like a buzz)

Besides that, this is the only way I have found to keep media on an SD card and have a populated functioning library.

Last edited:

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You can still use this hack, with a slight caveat. You have to do a manual rebuild every time you add media. You do this in desktop mode. First open control panel, then indexing options, advanced, and finally select rebuild.

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
You can still use this hack, with a slight caveat. You have to do a manual rebuild every time you add media. You do this in desktop mode. First open control panel, then indexing options, advanced, and finally select rebuild.
Every time we add something? What does rebuild actually do?

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Every time we add something? What does rebuild actually do?

Yes, based on my testing, I had to rebuild after adding even a picture. This kind of sucks really. I may just return this 32GB for a 64GB.

Rebuild just reindexes the folders. This process seems to be fooled by the hack.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss